Oil Analysis at 25K (3.5L EcoBoost V6)

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hey everyone, wanted to share my most recent oil analysis. When I purchased my truck from the dealer, it had around 350 miles on it. It was originally delivered to a dealer in Jacksonville and I purchased it in Miami, hence the miles. Understandably, I was worried about the break in and how it was driven for those 350 miles. My last ecoboost was totaled in an accident and this was at the peak of chip shortages. It was 1 of 3 in the lot (June 2021) so I took my chances. I have religiously maintained it with Motorcraft semi synthetic oil changes every 5K, except for this last run at 6K. Many roadtrips and towing sessions later, I am absolutely in love with the truck. With the exception of OTA/ battery issues, the truck rides and drives like a dream. The only concerning part for me is the oil viscosity but it does not seem to be an issue at this time.

Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 25K (3.5L EcoBoost V6) blackstone
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
With the change in motor oils after 2016 these lab tests are largely irrelevant in terms of determining anything. Fleet operators know this fully well. If you use a name brand oil and oil filter and change oil per the computer you will be fine.

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
With the change in motor oils after 2016 these lab tests are largely irrelevant in terms of determining anything. Fleet operators know this fully well. If you use a name brand oil and oil filter and change oil per the computer you will be fine.
Actually this report tells me his 5w30 has thinned down to a 5w20 at best and has increased potential for shear.

OP
OP

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I respectfully disagree, an analysis provides valuable data you would never have in the first place.

OP
OP

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Actually this report tells me his 5w30 has thinned down to a 5w20 at best and has increased potential for shear.
Yes, seems to land at around a mid 20W oil. Wondering what I can do to improve that other than reducing the oil change interval from 5K. Maybe perhaps switching brands?

Sponsored

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, seems to land at around a mid 20W oil. Wondering what I can do to improve that other than reducing the oil change interval from 5K. Maybe perhaps switching brands?
I wouldn't begin to offer suggestions aside from doing your own research and doing what you feel is best.

Personally, I running QSFS 5w30 in my 5.0. It's cheap and a full synthetic. I'm waiting to hit the miles for my first UOA. Going to start at 3k and see how it looks. I have 48qts of it and 6 Champ PH500XL filters. If it tends to run thin, I may swap to the QSFS Euro 5w40.

The one suggestion I will give, go to BITOG and review VOA's and UOA's over there. Lots of good information.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I respectfully disagree, an analysis provides valuable data you would never have in the first place.
Particularly if your fleet includes vehicles with the transverse 3.5 Cyclone/Duratec that has an internal water pump, and thus need to be checked for coolant in the oil indicative of a failing pump. Not an issue for the F-150, obviously...but certainly a concern for the pre-2020 transverse Explorer fleet and one of the reasons these tests still have value if your goal isn’t just trying to figure out when to change your oil.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I don't agree that chemistry analysis is unnecessary. Things can go wrong along the way. Hoses can fail, an air filter can fail with dirt ingestion, an oil change can introduce contaminants, there is a coolant heat exchanger that can introduce contaminants. All of these can be detected by oil analysis and stopped before they get to extensive wear & tear.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Do you do a lot of stop and go along with towing heavy load? If any are yes, I would change the oil sooner, around 4k miles. FWIW, I"m using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Full synthetic because they handle heat better. IMHO, turbo's can cook the oil pretty good and we have 2 of them.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Do you do a lot of stop and go along with towing heavy load? If any are yes, I would change the oil sooner, around 4k miles. FWIW, I"m using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Full synthetic because they handle heat better. IMHO, turbo's can cook the oil pretty good and we have 2 of them.
I’m also using Pennzoil Platinum in my 3.5EB. I watched Project Farm do a segment on Platinum vs. Platinum Ultra. Based on his findings I’m going with the Ultra next change.

Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I’m also using Pennzoil Platinum in my 3.5EB. I watched Project Farm do a segment on Platinum vs. Platinum Ultra. Based on his findings I’m going with the Ultra next change.
Amen to that. The challenge is in finding the Ultra.

I tried buying through a couple of different vendors on Amazon. The first time I got 5W-20 and had to return it. The second time they sent me the "regular" Platinum and I did not notice until I was doing the oil change. No more Amazon for oil, just too unreliable due to their affiliate vendors.

I *have* had good luck buying direct from Walmart.com. No problems other than some times it will be out of stock. Just wait a few days, or better yet, just order it in advance. I got a case of the oil filters from AMZN, I just order the Ultra in advance.

Just love those Project Farm vids. Dude deserves every penny of ad revenue he gets.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Amen to that. The challenge is in finding the Ultra.

I tried buying through a couple of different vendors on Amazon. The first time I got 5W-20 and had to return it. The second time they sent me the "regular" Platinum and I did not notice until I was doing the oil change. No more Amazon for oil, just too unreliable due to their affiliate vendors.

I *have* had good luck buying direct from Walmart.com. No problems other than some times it will be out of stock. Just wait a few days, or better yet, just order it in advance. I got a case of the oil filters from AMZN, I just order the Ultra in advance.

Just love those Project Farm vids. Dude deserves every penny of ad revenue he gets.
Very much agree that it’s hard to find the Ultra flavor. None of the auto parts stores near me had it. I did find it online at Walmart so I’m GTG once I’m ready to drain the regular Platinum.

Project Farm is an informative channel. His testing methods, while sometimes crude, produce practical results that consumers can ponder over to make better informed decisions on products. Great stuff that guy does!

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
If this lab report is was from the 6K interval and you typically change at 5K my guess is you are fine at 5K.

However, without seeing your last 5K report (or two if the differ much) it's difficult for us to offer meaningful input.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I wouldn't begin to offer suggestions aside from doing your own research and doing what you feel is best.

Personally, I running QSFS 5w30 in my 5.0. It's cheap and a full synthetic. I'm waiting to hit the miles for my first UOA. Going to start at 3k and see how it looks. I have 48qts of it and 6 Champ PH500XL filters. If it tends to run thin, I may swap to the QSFS Euro 5w40.

The one suggestion I will give, go to BITOG and review VOA's and UOA's over there. Lots of good information.
If you need to change a full synthetic at 3K there is either something seriously wrong with your vehicle or your oil.

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you need to change a full synthetic at 3K there is either something seriously wrong with your vehicle or your oil.
You're right, but it's cheap and I want to see how it's holding up after 3k.
Sponsored