First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
I was leaving the parking lot after checking out a PPF dealer when I couldn't shift my hybrid out of park. Nothing I tried worked. I called my dealer service center and they suspected the shifter was not sending a signal. Call it a failure to communicate!

I put in a call to AAA towing for a flat bed. So, while waiting for the tow, I turned the truck off. When I turned it back on, lo and behold, I could shift out of park. Just then the tow truck arrived but I had him cancel the call. I immediately drove to the dealer and made an appointment to check it out for this Thursday.

I will report back. I can't think of anything I may done. It is worrisome that it could happen again.
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I was leaving the parking lot after checking out a PPF dealer when I couldn't shift my hybrid out of park. Nothing I tried worked. I called my dealer service center and they suspected the shifter was not sending a signal. Call it a failure to communicate!

I put in a call to AAA towing for a flat bed. So, while waiting for the tow, I turned the truck off. When I turned it back on, lo and behold, I could shift out of park. Just then the tow truck arrived but I had him cancel the call. I immediately drove to the dealer and made an appointment to check it out for this Thursday.

I will report back. I can't think of anything I may done. It is worrisome that it could happen again.
Turn it off and on. Of course that would fix it lol. electrics are electrics after all.

Mrtosh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Any news on this issue? I was reading a similar issue on one of the FB pages and nothing he did would get it out of Park.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Any news on this issue? I was reading a similar issue on one of the FB pages and nothing he did would get it out of Park.
The owners manual posted shows a Manual Park Release procedure that sounds like the way to get the truck shifted out of Park and into Neutral if the shifter is folded down and there is no power to actuate the shifter. Page 257 in the manual. I'm not positive that is the purpose of this procedure, but it sounds about right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
The owners manual posted shows a Manual Park Release procedure that sounds like the way to get the truck shifted out of Park and into Neutral if the shifter is folded down and there is no power to actuate the shifter. Page 257 in the manual. I'm not positive that is the purpose of this procedure, but it sounds about right.
Wow, I don't think I will remember all that in an emergency. I am glad turning the truck on and off worked.

The service technician said to make sure shifter was fully up after folding it down. He also said the brake pedal switch can malfunction and to have someone check to see if brake lights operate when engaging brake.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
He also said the brake pedal switch can malfunction and to have someone check to see if brake lights operate when engaging brake.
One of my Thunderbirds had the brake light switch fail while she was in a parking lot.
Had to turn key, shift to neutral, then start the car. Would not come out of park if it was started in PARK.

Not gonna be able to get around this in the new cars I guess

Brtwsr

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost XLT
I bought a Powerboost over the weekend that is having this problem, except mine wouldn’t come out of park even after turning the truck on and off more than 20 times. I never even got my truck to my house before it needed a tow... has been at the dealership all day and they seemed stumped. If anyone has any updated info I would love to hear anything.

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
I bought a Powerboost over the weekend that is having this problem, except mine wouldn’t come out of park even after turning the truck on and off more than 20 times. I never even got my truck to my house before it needed a tow... has been at the dealership all day and they seemed stumped. If anyone has any updated info I would love to hear anything.
Two suggestions (guesses) by the mechanic at my dealership:

1) make sure that gear shifter when brought up from folded position is fully up
2) break switch up under the break pedal may be bad..if break lights do not come on with break engaged this may be an indicator..try pushing pedal several times while starting

My shifter still goes south intermittently but turning off and on still works

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Two suggestions (guesses) by the mechanic at my dealership:

1) make sure that gear shifter when brought up from folded position is fully up
2) break switch up under the break pedal may be bad..if break lights do not come on with break engaged this may be an indicator..try pushing pedal several times while starting

My shifter still goes south intermittently but turning off and on still works
I'm having same issues. It keeps going back to park.

Sponsored

Brtwsr

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost XLT
UPADTE: Dealer determined that the actuator on the shifter was the issue, he said something about pins not engaging like they should. Because the trucks are so new and parts are all being put into new trucks they had to pull a shifter out of another truck and put it in mine. I have had the truck since Friday afternoon and I have had no other problems. If you are having this problem with your Powerboost I would suggest that you talk to your dealer.

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
My 2021 F150 Lariat has been sitting at the Dealers for a week plus now waiting for a whole new "upgraded" shifter assembly. of course its on back order.
Evidently there is a service bulletin on this.
Not easy pulling this thing which was stuck in drive up onto a flatbed.
Even though there is an override to put it in neutral the parking brake kept engaging because it was still in Drive. The driver has to put slides under the the rear wheels to drag it up the ramp.

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
I had this happen once and I tried the on/off thing and it didn't work. No cell service went in and called dealership and they wanted what alerts I was receiving. Told them hold on I'd check went out and it started up with no alerts worked fine ever since. That was back in early June.

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
My 2021 F150 Lariat has been sitting at the Dealers for a week plus now waiting for a whole new "upgraded" shifter assembly. of course its on back order.
Evidently there is a service bulletin on this.
Not easy pulling this thing which was stuck in drive up onto a flatbed.
Even though there is an override to put it in neutral the parking brake kept engaging because it was still in Drive. The driver has to put slides under the the rear wheels to drag it up the ramp.
So, my console shifter was stuck in Drive. Note: if you have to tow or flatbed your f150 go into the menu and put it into being towed mode along with using the Neutral defeat lever under the dash.
otherwise your E-brake will be squirrel y and need to be reprogrammed.
According to the Dealer there is a Service Bulletin about this issue. Took 2 weeks to get a replacement "upgraded" part. they replaced the whole shifter mechanism supposedly.

LRscott

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 PowerBoost
The stuck in park issue has happened three times with my F-150 hybrid. After I tried to release it with the manual override lever I got a powertrain malfunction error message and then couldn't even start it. I called Ford roadside assistance, they were useless. They would only pay for a 36 mi tow and the nearest dealership was about 60 miles.
Finally after being on the phone with Ford roadside assistance and calling my dealer late Labor Day afternoon (no one there to help) about 90 minutes had passed. I decided to try again, the truck started and I was able to move it out of park and drive home. Something isn't right but at least I got home.
Sponsored