Oh no my shifter stuck in park

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The stuck in park issue has happened three times with my F-150 hybrid. After I tried to release it with the manual override lever I got a powertrain malfunction error message and then couldn't even start it. I called Ford roadside assistance, they were useless. They would only pay for a 36 mi tow and the nearest dealership was about 60 miles.
Finally after being on the phone with Ford roadside assistance and calling my dealer late Labor Day afternoon (no one there to help) about 90 minutes had passed. I decided to try again, the truck started and I was able to move it out of park and drive home. Something isn't right but at least I got home.
This entire weekend i’m reading on here about shifter issues with f150 hybrids. Maybe there will be a recall in near future on all these shifters. Making me really nervous now buying this truck. Please update with your resolution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Ok, this my update as originator of this thread.

Back in February, when my platinum hybrid was jus a neonate. I had problems with the shifter as described in this thread. I got it restarted by turning it on and off. I immediately took it to the dealer but they found nothing. The problem continued to happen at random times and I always fixed it with the turn on and off reboot.

15000 miles later and visiting relatives in Wayne Nebraska, it happened again and this time I got chattering in the gear shift module in reverse and drive. Took it to Arnie Ford in Wayne and their initial reaction from the bozo service manager was to give me an appointment in two weeks. After my daughter in law's father reamed them a new one, the general manager, Loren Hars, came out. He immediately recognized that the whole shifted module needed replacement. The same issue happened on one of his employee's f150. He said it would take him over a week to get me the part. He intervened with the Woodhouse dealer in Omaha.

I drove the 100 miles to Woodhouse in Omaha. Jared, the service rep there, tracked down the part locally and got me on the road in 3 hrs. This all transpired on 10/22 and 10/23.

Since then, I have had one stuck in park incident. We are in Nevada now on our way back to Sacramento.

I have reported all this on Ford pass by phone and email. My observation is that this hiccup is exacerbated by people like me jigglying, sometimes a little forceably, the shifter.. Eventually, a solenoid or something loses contact and you may become SOL.

This entire weekend i’m reading on here about shifter issues with f150 hybrids. Maybe there will be a recall in near future on all these shifters. Making me really nervous now buying this truck. Please update with your resolution.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4

Back in February, when my platinum hybrid was jus a neonate. I had problems with the shifter as described in this thread. I got it restarted by turning it on and off. I immediately took it to the dealer but they found nothing. The problem continued to happen at random times and I always fixed it with the turn on and off reboot.

15000 miles later and visiting relatives in Wayne Nebraska, it happened again and this time I got chattering in the gear shift module in reverse and drive. Took it to Arnie Ford in Wayne and their initial reaction from the bozo service manager was to give me an appointment in two weeks. After my daughter in law's father reamed them a new one, the general manager, Loren Hars, came out. He immediately recognized that the whole shifted module needed replacement. The same issue happened on one of his employee's f150. He said it would take him over a week to get me the part. He intervened with the Woodhouse dealer in Omaha.

I drove the 100 miles to Woodhouse in Omaha. Jared, the service rep there, tracked down the part locally and got me on the road in 3 hrs. This all transpired on 10/22 and 10/23.

Since then, I have had one stuck in park incident. We are in Nevada now on our way back to Sacramento.

I have reported all this on Ford pass by phone and email. My observation is that this hiccup is exacerbated by people like me jigglying, sometimes a little forceably, the shifter.. Eventually, a solenoid or something loses contact and you may become SOL.
I wonder if excessive jiggling voids a warranty.

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Self reported
Even tho probably everyone jiggles their shifter more than they should, I doubt anyone would outright admit it.

Especially to Ford. These trucks are too expensive.

Plus, it's just embarassing.

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Even tho probably everyone jiggles their shifter more than they should, I doubt anyone would outright admit it.

Especially to Ford. These trucks are too expensive.

Plus, it's just embarassing.
I didn't self report...just correcting spelling from previous post

YankeeOne

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Martime Valet Parking

Thanks for posting this!
It just happened to me in the middle of Central Oregon when I pulled over to respond to a text. I put the Plat. Pwr boost in park for a few minutes, then it wouldn't go into drive. I turned off, opened/closed the door to recycle but no joy. After a couple more attempts, I put the shifter down into its flat position then raised it and low and behold, it went into drive!
I spoke to my service dept. to see if they were aware of the problem, but they never heard of it. They looked up my truck in their system to retrieve any error codes but found none. Brian asked what the service bulletin number was but all I could pass along to him was the location of Ford dealers that may have some knowledge. I'm left with an appointment scheduled 4 weeks from today, but I know if they cannot witness the malfunction, they won't do anything about it.
If anyone has any specific Ford Bulletin info, please post!
Thanks all!

YankeeOne

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Martime Valet Parking
***UPDATE***
The Bulletin number for console gear not coming out of park is TSB-21-2141.
1st - reprogram module
2nd perform bolts test
3rd replace GSA module

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I joined this list last night. Wish I had read the bit about parking brake override mode. It was a pain getting on the flat bed, I had to stay in the truck and hold the parking brake button to keep it from engaging.

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
Happen to me once and I started to panic since it was late at night. I turned on then off, still nothing. So I closed the shifter down then back up and then it came out of park.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
What I have noticed recently is that the truck is taking a few seconds longer to fully start up compared to earlier in the fall. I'm not sure if it's the cooler weather or the updates I've received. However, I can't shift out of park until both Sync and the Cluster have finished with their startup sequence and are showing data. I've started waiting an extra few seconds before trying to go now.

For others having issues, are you trying to shift out of park immediately after starting? I'm not saying there isn't an issue, but it could just be a communication/timing issue causing some of the frustration.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
C&A
For me, I spent an hour trying to get it to shift. I started and stopped, lowered and raised the shifter a dozen times, I tried every combination you could think of. I know mine was physically out of whack. When I put it in park when arriving at the store it travelled further forward than it ever had before because it hit my phone charger in the cubby hole the shifter folds into, and it had never bumped it before.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
C&A
Looks like new shifters are a 7-10 day lead item in December of 2021. So if you experience this, you are looking at about 2 weeks without your truck.
Sponsored