Sponsored

Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up?

Visier

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Product Management
I do some occasional off-roading for camping and overlanding in the southeastern US. My new truck has the 20" aluminum wheels with the sport appearance package and FX4 set-up (XLT trim). I love the way it looks stock, except for the conservative tires which I'm sure to replace well before they wear down.

This question is probably more for 20" wheels in general, but:

Will the 20" wheels hold up well to moderate offroading with the right tire? My concerns are that I might not be able to gain enough sidewall to absorb shock and protect the bead from slipping after airing down, and that the design of the wheel is convex enough that it will easily mar up under moderate offroad use. My prior offroading experience is limited and was in a truck with 15" wheels and plenty of tire, so I am not sure how close these 20" wheels would cut it.

Basically: Should I just have a separate set of wheels and tires for when I intend to go offroad, or should I throw offroad tires on the 20" wheels and be confident they will hold up well if I don't go too crazy.

If anyone has any first-hand experience, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? IMG_5685
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
As with any wheel, of any size, your not going to want to beat it like a rented mule. I would not have any reservations about the 20" wheel being tough enough for what it sounds like you are going to be doing with the truck. I would suggest going with an all-terrain tire of your choice, but in a bit more robust size. I am taking off my 275/60-20's and replacing them with 295/60-20's. That is going to result 1.5" of sidewall height and about an 1" of increased width. An inch doesn't seem like much when you look at it on a tape measure, but that additional bulge will protect the wheels better when both inflated and give you more tire contact when underinflated (also more protection).

It is my understanding that a 295/60 will fit without leveling, but if your concerned, you could go with the factory size or bump up to a 285/60 or 275/65 tire and be good to go.

Last edited:

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
I do some occasional off-roading for camping and overlanding in the southeastern US. My new truck has the 20" aluminum wheels with the sport appearance package and FX4 set-up (XLT trim). I love the way it looks stock, except for the conservative tires which I'm sure to replace well before they wear down.

Will the 20" wheels hold up well to moderate offroading with the right tire? My concerns are that I might not be able to gain enough sidewall to absorb shock and protect the bead from slipping after airing down, and that the design of the wheel is convex enough that it will easily mar up under moderate offroad use. My prior offroading experience is limited and was in a truck with 15" wheels and plenty of tire, so I am not sure how close these 20" wheels would cut it.

Basically: Should I just have a separate set of wheels and tires for when I intend to go offroad, or should I throw offroad tires on the 20" wheels and be confident they will hold up well if I don't go too crazy.

IMG_5685.jpeg
I run two completely different sets of wheels on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It works really well--neither the road set nor the offroad set are compromises. Also, steel wheels are cheap:

https://www.roadreadywheels.com/products/2004-2020-18x7-5-ford-f150-steel-wheel-rim

If you're committed to getting new tires already, for an extra $400 you can bash the cheap steelies instead of the fancy OEM alloys.

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted

IMG_5685.jpeg
Add a mild level and 35s and you'll have enough sidewall. Make um wider and you'll get sidewall to protect the wheel face.

Fogf150

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Management
As with any wheel, of any size, your not going to want to beat it like a rented mule. I would not have any reservations about the 20" wheel being tough enough for what it sounds like you are going to be doing with the truck. I would suggest going with an all-terrain tire of your choice, but in a bit more robust size. I am taking off my 275/60-20's and replacing them with 295/60-20's. That is going to result 1.5" of sidewall height and about an 1" of increased width. An inch doesn't seem like much when you look at it on a tape measure, but that additional bulge will protect the wheels better when both inflated and give you more tire contact when underinflated (also more protection).

It is my understanding that a 295/60 will fit without leveling, but if your concerned, you could go with the factory size or bump up to a 285/60 or 285/65 tire and be good to go.
Excuse my ignorance new to all this, just got 2021 XLT , XLT Sport, want to add beefier tires but NOT level or lift etc,,, stock is 275/60/r20,,,,,,,,, so you mention one could add 285/65/20 (thinking of BF Goodrich Ko2),, and NOT level or lift and NO rubbing???? THanks,,,

Sponsored

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I wish I had done some more research on this before going in on some stock size Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I'm super happy with the tires as is, but it seems with just a leveling kit, I could have had a larger tire. I think this just gives me reason to go with a leveling kit and new wheel/tire combo now ?!!

Hartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I am going to be following this thread and see what results people are posting. I too wish to keep the stock 20" rims because I just love the look of them. I do NOT love the look of the Dynapro AT2's though and want to upgrade them without a level. Was looking into the K02's, AT3W's or Ridge Grapplers.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excuse my ignorance new to all this, just got 2021 XLT , XLT Sport, want to add beefier tires but NOT level or lift etc,,, stock is 275/60/r20,,,,,,,,, so you mention one could add 285/65/20 (thinking of BF Goodrich Ko2),, and NOT level or lift and NO rubbing???? THanks,,,
Here are some comparison numbers 'Stock vs. Alternate Size'. In my early post, I believe I fat fingered the 285/65, that number should have been 275/65. I will correct it. It is possible it could fit, those are big wheel wells, but I can't say for sure.

I would consult your tire purveyor as to potential rub of any size you choose. I'm adding a 2" level, so my options are bit more open. Shop all the applicable sizes, as some sizes cost significantly more or less.

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? 1614208104357

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? 1614208179820

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? 1614208228467

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? 1614208269821

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? 1614208339103

Last edited:

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To circle back on my comments above, below is a chart based on Tire Rack/Discount Tire pricing, which shows size, price, and available tire choices (Nitto, Falken, Yokahama, ect). I used BFG's as my base for pricing, as most folk are very familiar with those. This chart also serves as a reminder to price check your local dealer to get the best deal.

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? Capture12.JPG

Last edited:

Hartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Thanks so much @05RubiconLJ for these charts. They are incredibly helpful and much appreciated. Here at my local tire shops, the K02 285/60/20's are $100 cheaper per tire than the 295/60/20's. Crazy. Currently I'm in the research phase - factoring in change in feel, mileage, longevity and of course look to my stock tires.

Sponsored

StangTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4, 5.0L
Just grabbed my tires today, going on Tuesday with a slightly larger 285/60/20 on stock Lariat chrome wheel and no leveling kit...I like the look of the Dueler and also it won't give up much ride quality.

Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? IMG_3172
Ford F-150 Off-road Tire Recommendations for 20" Sport Set-up? IMG_3222

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
The best recommendation for 20” off-road wheels and tires is to sell them and buy 17” or even 18” wheels and tires.......if you are seriously wanting to use your truck off-road.

people-call-me-chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat SCrew 4x4 short bed

Visier... what did you end up choosing? Thx

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
The best recommendation for 20” off-road wheels and tires is to sell them and buy 17” or even 18” wheels and tires.......if you are seriously wanting to use your truck off-road.
Careful, with this, good chance with the year and trim level of this truck that it will have minimum rim size of 18" so getting 17" rims will be a problem with them not fitting the brake rotors.
Sponsored