First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
So this is not a huge deal but it is annoying.

When driving on the highway above 55 MPH I can hear a sporadic tapping sound, to me it sounds like a large cable or tube against metal or thick plastic, coming from the passenger seat or passenger footwell area. Not that loud, not in time with turning wheels or driveline.

First I thought it was wind related because it only occurs at higher speeds so I got under the truck and glued or aluminum taped down all the loose insulation, sound deading or heat shielding I could find under the cab. I re-attached the small holder on a tube going into the transfer case. I turned up the stops on the hood to reduce any vibration, glued down a panel to the firewall that was loose and I taped down the antenna cable in the fender. I even removed the short aftermarket antenna to see if that was the cause and it made no difference.

Then I thought it was vibrations causing the noise so I checked everything I've added to the cab (air pump, first aid kit) to make sure there are no rattles, put cloth tape on two wires in clips behind the glove box, poked, prodded and wiggled everything I could find under the dash, under the seats, on the doors and still getting the noise.

It doesn't sound like the noise people have described from the mirror panels on the doors (to be sure I did remove those panels and tightened the nuts there anyway).

It doesn't happen at low speeds over rough roads or bumps.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
So this is not a huge deal but it is annoying.

When driving on the highway above 55 MPH I can hear a sporadic tapping sound, to me it sounds like a large cable or tube against metal or thick plastic, coming from the passenger seat or passenger footwell area. Not that loud, not in time with turning wheels or driveline.

First I thought it was wind related because it only occurs at higher speeds so I got under the truck and glued or aluminum taped down all the loose insulation, sound deading or heat shielding I could find under the cab. I re-attached the small holder on a tube going into the transfer case. I turned up the stops on the hood to reduce any vibration, glued down a panel to the firewall that was loose and I taped down the antenna cable in the fender. I even removed the short aftermarket antenna to see if that was the cause and it made no difference.

Then I thought it was vibrations causing the noise so I checked everything I've added to the cab (air pump, first aid kit) to make sure there are no rattles, put cloth tape on two wires in clips behind the glove box, poked, prodded and wiggled everything I could find under the dash, under the seats, on the doors and still getting the noise.

It doesn't sound like the noise people have described from the mirror panels on the doors (to be sure I did remove those panels and tightened the nuts there anyway).

It doesn't happen at low speeds over rough roads or bumps.

Any ideas?
Why not take it to a dealer and have a tech ride with you on that side?

OP
OP

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I could, my experience at dealers isn't great, especially for a minor sound. Most times they say they test it and "Can't reproduce customer complaint" if you leave the truck with them. And the selling dealer is about 10 miles from a highway so it would take a while to get back and forth.

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
I could, my experience at dealers isn't great, especially for a minor sound. Most times they say they test it and "Can't reproduce customer complaint" if you leave the truck with them. And the selling dealer is about 10 miles from a highway so it would take a while to get back and forth.
I guess I can relate to that. Good luck.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 5.0, 2013 Corvette GS, 2020 Jetta S
I have have the exact same issue. Any follow up to the sound/fix?

Sponsored

firesprinkguy

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Principal Business Owner
My bet is this is part of the heat shield/driveshaft recall. I experienced the same thing but at lower speeds. I took it into the dealer and they acknowleged this but had to order parts before repair could occur.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 5.0, 2013 Corvette GS, 2020 Jetta S
My bet is this is part of the heat shield/driveshaft recall. I experienced the same thing but at lower speeds. I took it into the dealer and they acknowleged this but had to order parts before repair could occur.
I have checked my heat shield around the driveshaft and its secure with no movement. Its definitely near the passenger foot well area under the truck. At least I can't hear it when the music is on.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Active air dam?

OP
OP

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I thought of that too since it only seems to happen at highway speeds for me.

jdr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5EB
Occupation
Retired Fire / EMS
My recall was for Underbody Insulators and drive shaft. The insulators apparently can become loose and cause issues for the drive shaft. Just had it at the dealer yesterday for the repair. I've had a similar sound on the highway, only when towing my RV though. I was wondering if the recall issue would take care of it however, have not had a chance to take the RV out again.

Sponsored

charmnh

First Name
Harmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 King Ranch, 2018 F150 King Ranch , both 4x4
Occupation
Happily retired
Has your driveshaft been replaced. Mine in shop for 6 weeks now with no replacement in sight.

DannyGRT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Any update on the noise source?

OP
OP

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Not really for me, seems to come and go. Frankly I've been dealing with the insulators recall and a dive shaft seal that was damaged and needed to be replaced so I'm just happy to have my truck back and working.

OP
OP

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So I found a possible cause for the sound I was hearing. When I opened the passenger side rear door I happened to bang it with my elbow and there is a piece of trim on the leading edge of the window frame that is loose and made a pretty loud clattering/clicking sound. When the door is closed and you thump the door frame with the palm of your hand you can hear the clicking.

I think the piece might be there to reduce wind noise and fill the gap between the rear edge of the front door and the leading edge of the rear door. It's loose on the passenger side and it's tight and doesn't move on the drivers side.

I put 5, 1 inch long pieces of 3M automotive trim double sided tape under the edge of the trim piece to stick it to the painted frame. That stopped it from moving and making any noise when you thump the door frame (open and shut).

Fingers crossed this helps. I've only been on the highway once since putting on the tape and didn't hear the noise but I'm not 100% sure I've fixed the problem.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I read something here about a weight of some sort inside the passenger seat back rattling but can't find the thread.

I assume you've ruled out rear seatbelts flopping around?
Sponsored