OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I've had my truck for almost two weeks, and I feel like all I've done is complain about it. So let me preface this post by saying that there are lots of things I love about the truck; it looks good, it's fast, it's mostly smooth, it has good fuel economy, it's got lots of toys and gizmos, and it's got a ton more space than my old GMC Canyon. However, I echo a sentiment I've seen a lot on this forum: We should be able to expect near perfection for a $70k truck. Not too long ago, $70k was a very nice 7 Series or S-Class, and I doubt they would have been delivered with the quality issues I've found during the short time I've had this truck.

I've already detailed my undercarriage dirt and rust issues here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/truck-delivered-with-dirty-undercarriage-and-rust.10244/

In addition, I noticed a few items on my first or second day of ownership that have been driving me crazy. The undercarriage bothers me, but at least I can't see it on a regular basis. The steering wheel and door skin, however, are staring me right in the face every time I get in and drive the truck.

Steering wheel - leather is not wrapped properly, and I have a nice ugly gap at the bottom of the wheel. Anybody else have this?

Door skin creases - The sharp crease just below the window/belt line is uneven between my front and rear doors. I've seen pics of other F150s with the doors obviously misaligned at the top or bottom, so I quickly checked for that upon truck delivery. My doors are aligned at the top and bottom, but I noticed this issue with the crease misalignment shortly thereafter. The pictures probably don't do this justice. It is incredibly annoying to look at literally every time I enter my truck, as it's right above the handle, and it's very apparent when looking down the body line in my driver's rearview. Anybody else have this? I assume so, because this seems like a systemic defect more than a one-off.

Lastly - I *think* Ford did this by design, but has anybody else noticed the center console is ever-so-slightly uneven with the center stack? It's most obvious when looking at the storage cubby door at the bottom of the center stack. It's actually more obvious with the door open, but my pics show it closed. I'm still trying to figure out if the center stack is angled slightly toward the driver or what is going on, but it's definitely not an optical illusion. I've noticed this in all of the F150 interior pics I've seen, so I assume your trucks all look the same, but does anybody know why?

/rant

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220503_164538

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220503_164533

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220502_150329

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220502_150331

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220502_150340

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220502_150343

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220502_150406

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220503_101642

Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 20220503_164634
Sponsored

Reactions: sbi

Majorplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Most of those I wouldn’t notice or care, but man that steering wheel would drive me nuts and I’d definitely bring it up to the dealer

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
steering wheel is horrible, id bring that to the dealers attention. the door crease bring that to their attention too, the body shop can adjust the door thats all thats going on there. the center console im unsure about but i think youre right its by design! Look at silverados, I dont know what year it is but the steering wheel is off center from the dash and its designed that way.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
@OP - couldn't agree with you more. I also noticed some "uneveness" with the doors, similar to what you described and also when you look at the truck backwards from around 1 o'clock, the front passenger's door's top rear corner seems to be a hair higher than the adjacent front top corner of the rear passenger's door; this is not the case on the driver's side, they are even.
It bothers me when I look at it but decided it's not worth my time dealing with Ford/Delaer/be without my truck/etc. A few weeks ago, one of the users in this forum posted an unrelated pciture of his truck from more-or-less the same angle and I saw the same exact thing.

Your steering wheel - 100% needs to be replaced. Talk to the dealer and if this doesn't work call HQ. Unacceptable, as none of the QC issues that we see in these trucks. As I said - I agree with you 100% and all these issues on a $60-70K vehicle (heck, not even a $25K or $40K vehicle) are absolutely unacceptable.

steering wheel is horrible, id bring that to the dealers attention. the door crease bring that to their attention too, the body shop can adjust the door thats all thats going on there. the center console im unsure about but i think youre right its by design! Look at silverados, I dont know what year it is but the steering wheel is off center from the dash and its designed that way.
We don't need to look at Silverados. We purchased a Ford, "the most sellable vehicle in America". If we were willing to accept these kind of things we would probably choose a Chevy.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Every thing is a trade off. I agree with you that there are quality issues with these trucks. It's clearly worse than the Chevys I've owned. But at the same time, I've had great luck with the reliability and low-maintenance nature of American trucks. Hopefully it extends to this one as well. So far so good after 15k miles.

I've had about 10 German cars. Benz, Porsche, Audi, BMW. The "quality" is great and they are assembled well, but the reliability and durability are horrid. They leak like Knuckleheads and need thousands in repairs to keep them on the road even 100k miles. I just got sick of it. Sure, I'd like to have perfect quality and reliability, but I'll take the reliable but lower quality attributes of the truck all day versus the "higher quality" vehicles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
thebigdu

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Thanks everybody for your input. The crazy thing about the steering wheel is that I'm afraid the dealer will break something else in the process of replacing it, assuming they can convince Ford I need a new one. Everything at the dealer just feels like such an uphill battle.

So nobody else has noticed the misaligned center console and stack?

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Thanks everybody for your input. The crazy thing about the steering wheel is that I'm afraid the dealer will break something else in the process of replacing it, assuming they can convince Ford I need a new one. Everything at the dealer just feels like such an uphill battle.

So nobody else has noticed the misaligned center console and stack?
I have not, but maybe I haven’t looked that hard. I’ll check mine out.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Looking around the dealership lot, I’ve noticed that the Ford Escapes have better fit/finish than the F-150.

When I test drove trucks, one of the F-250s had the front axle so poorly aligned that not only did it wander at highway speeds but you could smell the tires overheating when you got out of truck from the misalignment.

Sponsored

KDK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Get the steering wheel fixed. Deal with the rest.

I had paint imperfection about the stize of a quarter above the passenger door. It's slag bubbles painted over, missed by qc. In order to fix it they have to repaint the whole section for consistency they said. That, I'll deal with because no one would notice.

The steering wheel is everyday in your face!

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
@OP - couldn't agree with you more. I also noticed some "uneveness" with the doors, similar to what you described and also when you look at the truck backwards from around 1 o'clock, the front passenger's door's top rear corner seems to be a hair higher than the adjacent front top corner of the rear passenger's door; this is not the case on the driver's side, they are even.
It bothers me when I look at it but decided it's not worth my time dealing with Ford/Delaer/be without my truck/etc. A few weeks ago, one of the users in this forum posted an unrelated pciture of his truck from more-or-less the same angle and I saw the same exact thing.

Your steering wheel - 100% needs to be replaced. Talk to the dealer and if this doesn't work call HQ. Unacceptable, as none of the QC issues that we see in these trucks. As I said - I agree with you 100% and all these issues on a $60-70K vehicle (heck, not even a $25K or $40K vehicle) are absolutely unacceptable.

We don't need to look at Silverados. We purchased a Ford, "the most sellable vehicle in America". If we were willing to accept these kind of things we would probably choose a Chevy.
Spot on bro

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR 5.0
I have found trash in the paint.....on my 22 F150 and my Maverick

I own a car dealership....I have never in my life seen a factory car with trash in the paint except these new Fords....

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
Ford F-150 OCD Owners - Enter at Your Own Risk 4C19527B-EBAF-400F-8D93-D0F3A09D926D

After we picked up our lariat, I noticed this. This is a good quarter inch gap at the b pillar on the left side in the rear. I couldn’t get it back. The dealer fixed this but it took a 3-4h round trip and part of a day. They had to remove the whole trim piece. This kind of thing makes me worried that similar quality control issues are lurking in less obvious places.

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
Issues with my 2 week old ‘22 PB XLT Screw:
- door ding found at delivery.
- rattle in drivers door. This one pisses me off the most.
- trash in paint on drivers door. Not sure I’ll have them fix this.
- drivers door is not put on correctly, panel gaps don’t line up well and it appears to slightly open at the top rear of the window, leading to excessive wind noise.

I’ve made an appointment to take it back to them week after next the to fix all these issues. Quality is definitely down from what we got on our 2018 Explorer, which was beautiful and perfect and still is today with 47k problem free miles.
Sponsored