First Name
tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 rocky ridge
Occupation
fd/pd retired
i got a OBDLINK what else do i need to use this?
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yes. At least as far as any evidence points.

Regen-braking IS the traction motor in generator mode, of course, so technically only one way to charge the Hybrid battery.

Although FordPass seems to think otherwise, recently. 🤣
Don't say of course lol. I thought it was something to do with the fancy, complicated break master cylinder unit thing. Hybrid tech is brand new to me other than general operation.
"... only one way to charge the Hybrid battery." So, do you find that above a certain RPM it free spins to avoid current overload? I see it show green and charging any time I take my foot off the gas for a bit, but if I stop too hard it won't do it much for some reason and relies on the disc calipers to stop.

Rambled a bit there. Hope it was understandable.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Don't say of course lol. I thought it was something to do with the fancy, complicated break master cylinder unit thing. Hybrid tech is brand new to me other than general operation.
"... only one way to charge the Hybrid battery." So, do you find that above a certain RPM it free spins to avoid current overload? I see it show green and charging any time I take my foot off the gas for a bit, but if I stop too hard it won't do it much for some reason and relies on the disc calipers to stop.

Rambled a bit there. Hope it was understandable.
Oops
I'll try again because you are so gentle with me. 😁

The electric motor on the Powerboost is located in the 10r80 transmission. It's bolted to the Torque Converter as an assembly.

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230421_083219_OneDrive

So it can either assist the ICE in providing torque to the transmission input shaft, or if you don't ask for much torque, it can supply sufficient torque to the transmission to move the truck forward on its own.

Note that ALL torque provided by the electric motor was sourced from the HV (Hybrid) battery.

Regen-braking has nothing to do with wheels or calipers or pads or hydraulics.....
Instead, it's a term for the electric motor switching from a motor to a generator. Instead of consuming current, it generates current. That current is sent right back to the battery that it had previously withdrawn from.

Since the truck is moving, the transmission is spinning and the electric motor is connected to it. You touch the brake pedal (which is brake by wire in the Powerboost) and the pcm sends a command for the electric motor to switch to generator mode, which provides RESISTANCE to being turned. That resistance literally resists the transmission from turning, thus provides an electric version of braking. Called regenerative braking appropriately.

If you press the brake pedal just enough, you can literally watch the amount of resistance turned into current being sent TO the battery. (it's seen as negative amps) see below

Because of the ability to slow down the truck electrically, with just the right pedal pressure, you can bet the traditional brake pads on the Powerboost will last longer. :)

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today 20230425_181255

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Thank you. So my brake pedal is actually controlling the motor/generator current output to the HV battery and the accelerator pedal is controlling the HV battery current output to the motor/generator.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Someone requested the PID mapping for the ICE portion of the dashboard

Here ya go good sir:

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today 20230425_202925

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203103

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203146

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203223

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203253

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203321

Note: This is not the Intake temp at the Intercooler. This is at the intake manifold just before the heads.

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203349

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203417

Ok, that leaves OAR (octane adjust ratio) This PID is awesome for knowing if you are getting good 93 octane. If it's the real deal, you should see OAR at or near its pegged value of -1

However, OBDLink does not include the PID. It will be found in USER Defined PIDs after you create it. (see steps below)

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203450

Go to Settings, and then select User-Defined PIDs

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203537

In the upper right corner, select the menu and choose New

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203608

It needs to be EXACTLY like you see below. Exactly.

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203650

The screenshot above didn't capture the very bottom and the most critical value.... The "equation"

Check and double check everything you see below. And once you save it and connect to your truck you can hit the test button. If the truck understands the request, you will get a confirmation.

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today Screenshot_20230425_203726

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you rename the file extension to stg from pdf?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ummm, the app on Android is rather glorious.
I have ALL the OBD apps and this one is simply the most elegant and customizable.

I'm guessing developers could explain the difference between the two versions of their work? :)

OP
OP

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
yes and I did it exact as the instructions stated (for the Mac).
Ive shared the files in iCloud AND dropbox....from what I can tell the application (rudimentary as it is)....is buggy as hell....took me more than 1/2 a dozen times for the app to link to drop box.

I even have the files local on my phone but the POS app doesn't give you the option to point to them locally.

ive turned OFF iCLOUD sharing (in the app preferences) and its STILL looking for the files there! stupid absolutely stupid app!
Make sure you have downloaded and set up app for your vehicle first. Then share files in iCloud. Go to “settings” then “menu” then “import files” select iCloud and see if that gets you what you want. Kinda looks like you are trying to import PID’s instead of dashboards

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
I opened a support ticket and they responded this morning....it still failed w/ iCloud but I was able to get it working w/ DropBox.

I've imported the dashboard file from @Snakebitten - now I just gotta figure out what all these PIDS are.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ask away!

You'll get a layman's understanding from me, but if I'm way out in left field I'm sure someone will come straighten the mess up. :)

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Ask away!

You'll get a layman's understanding from me, but if I'm way out in left field I'm sure someone will come straighten the mess up. :)
Finally had time to try and import it. A little resizing and such needed, but it’s there. Any other insight or ideal PIDs you can share since I’m not using a power boost?

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today IMG_1312

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
Finally had time to try and import it. A little resizing and such needed, but it’s there. Any other insight or ideal PIDs you can share since I’m not using a power boost?

IMG_1312.png
Which dashboard is this one? Is it available somewhere that I can download & import it?

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

IMG_1312.png
Since you are not a Powerboost, you have a lot of screen real estate you can get back.

Below I circled pids/gauges that do not apply to your truck.
I also noted an example of one gauge covering over (overlap) another gauge. You can hold your finger on one of them and then choose (bring to front of bring to back. Whichever unmasks the covered up items)

Or you could "move or drag" and possibly separate two gauges further from each other.

Ford F-150 OBDLink MX+ is on Sale today IMG_1312
Sponsored