Not notified about Rear Axle Shaft & Hub Assembly Recall CSB 22B34

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So I just got back from my mechanic. I brought it in because I'd been hearing a scraping noise on rear axel on passenger side of '21 Lariat and thought maybe I had a warped rotor. Turns out the axle bolts on both sides had been sheered off!!! This seems super dangerous.

Ford F-150 Not notified about Rear Axle Shaft & Hub Assembly Recall CSB 22B34 IMG_0356

My mechanic looked up the service bulletins for '21 F150s and found 22B34 as the likely culprit.

The thing is, this is not one of the recalls listed for my vehicle even though it's pretty likely the problem. Now I'm really concerned the dealer is going to be pretty handwavey about repairing this.

Ford F-150 Not notified about Rear Axle Shaft & Hub Assembly Recall CSB 22B34 Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 1.12.09 PM
Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So called the dealer and, as I expected, they said this type of problem wouldn't be covered under warranty and the recall wouldn't apply to my vehicle it's not on the list. So I called Ford and was told it should be covered.

Got an appointment to bring it in to Ford Service on Monday and we'll see what they say. I've got a feeling this is going to take quite a while to resolve :(.

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
So called the dealer and, as I expected, they said this type of problem wouldn't be covered under warranty and the recall wouldn't apply to my vehicle it's not on the list. So I called Ford and was told it should be covered.

Got an appointment to bring it in to Ford Service on Monday and we'll see what they say. I've got a feeling this is going to take quite a while to resolve :(.
I would be pretty concerned about your dealer. This forum is literally full of this failure (large absolute number small on percentage basis). On another forum a person is tracking these and over 800 have been reported I believe. Lots were outside the range and most if not all were done under warranty. Unfortunately there was hope that this issue was fixed by early 2022, but failures continue even with 2023s though we think at much lower frequency.

Bottom line the axle bolt failure should be fully covered. Just have to search for axle bolt failure.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY
This is a known issue. It's covered under warranty. Find another dealer.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Is it a recall?
I don't think so.
Perhaps it should be, but currently it isn't.
I suspect if it actually was deemed dangerous (enough), it would have triggered a recall.

It's stunning that a dealership wouldn't consider it a warranty claim.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is it a recall?
I don't think so.
Perhaps it should be, but currently it isn't.
I suspect if it actually was deemed dangerous (enough), it would have triggered a recall.

It's stunning that a dealership wouldn't consider it a warranty claim.
There is a recall; See Here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10232569-0001.pdf

In some of the affected vehicles, the wheel end hub bolt may become loose or separate and make a rattle noise. This is often discovered by technicians during routine maintenance such as oil changes and tire rotations when a rattle is found coming from the wheel cap. If the wheel end hub bolt separates, the wheel hub will remain attached and will not separate from the rear axle shaft.​

I guess not entirely dangerous since "the wheel hub will remain attached", but still seems like a risk to be driving it like this.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is a known issue. It's covered under warranty. Find another dealer.
This is just what one service rep said over the phone. I expect they can't make that determination without looking at it. After having a tech see it, I'm hoping they'll get it.

I'm just wondering why, if there's a recall and I'm almost certainly affected by it, I didn't get a notification.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
This is just what one service rep said over the phone. I expect they can't make that determination without looking at it. After having a tech see it, I'm hoping they'll get it.

I'm just wondering why, if there's a recall and I'm almost certainly affected by it, I didn't get a notification.
It’s not risen to the level of recall at this point. It’s only a CSP or customer satisfaction program. That’s why you haven’t received a mailed notification. As to why a dealer would say it isn’t under warranty, I’d say it’s typical dealer service apathy.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Edit: I was typing while the post above arrived

I don't think that's a recall, unless I'm just misinformed.

That's a CSP.

Is a CSP in fact a recall?

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Edit: I was typing while the post above arrived

I don't think that's a recall, unless I'm just misinformed.

That's a CSP.

Is a CSP in fact a recall?
You’re correct. It’s not a recall, the same way a TSB is not a recall. It’s basically, we’re aware of the problem and we will rectify it if the customer presents with the conditions outlined, including manufacturing date ranges. OP has certainly presented this. But even if outside the date range, as long as he is in warranty, it should be a warranted repair.

EDIT: My truck was delivered without the fender badging and temporary ‘plugs’. That was also a CSP. I was notified by Ford via email, FordPass and US mail. I’m not sure if first class mail notification is required by NHTSA for a CSP.

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
i figured, it is extremely known to occur on max tow models unfortunately.
Yep. Not a recall but is a known issue on max tow. I pretty confident it will be covered by warranty just have to get someone better informed.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
You’re correct. It’s not a recall, the same way a TSB is not a recall. It’s basically, we’re aware of the problem and we will rectify it if the customer presents with the conditions outlined, including manufacturing date ranges. OP has certainly presented this. But even if outside the date range, as long as he is in warranty, it should be a warranted repair.

EDIT: My truck was delivered without the fender badging and temporary ‘plugs’. That was also a CSP. I was notified by Ford via email, FordPass and US mail. I’m not sure if first class mail notification is required by NHTSA for a CSP.
But if the truck is still within the initial 36/36000 miles B to B warranty or have an ESP, why isn't it covered no matter when manufactured?
Sponsored