Sponsored

Non matching spare tire

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Just looked under the truck and noticed the spare tire is a Maxxas 777 tire where the truck came with Hankook dynapro's. If I remember correctly my last F150 had all 5 match even though the spare was a different wheel.
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I'm pretty sure my spare wasn't even the same size.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Just looked under the truck and noticed the spare tire is a Maxxas 777 tire where the truck came with Hankook dynapro's. If I remember correctly my last F150 had all 5 match even though the spare was a different wheel.
Unless you split for the full size spare option... you get a smaller tire/wheel.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
So I just had to take a look and my spare is the same Maxxis 777. The bean counters really got their fingers in this as the spare is a real cheap tire. Treadware is 300, temp is A and traction is a B. But it is round and holds air, so it will get you where you need to go in an emergency .

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Oh hell, now I have to go look ... if I remember tomorrow.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Reading this thread, I had to go look. I have General Grabbers LT 265/70R18's on the truck as well as the spare. Only thing is the spare is on a steel rim that has the cutouts like a mag.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
It’s a spare. I can’t remember the last time I needed a spare. I have 20” rims but my spare has 18” rims. The tire hight is a little less that my running tires but will get me to my destination If needed. No big deal.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...I had to go look. I have General Grabbers LT...
...I can’t remember the last time I needed a spare....
Depending on configuration, you get either a matching spare tire with a matching alloy wheel, a matching tire with a non-matching steel wheel, a non-matching tire with a steel 17” or 18” wheel and then you might also get the non-matching alloy spare wheel.

The HDPP gets the matching alloy spare tire/wheel combo.

8.8” differential and I believe regular 9.75 diff. trucks usually get the 17” steel spare. While Max Tow equipped trucks with the HD9.75” differential get the 18” steel spare because 17”s won’t clear the oversized brakes.

The previous gen. also had some trucks shipped with the non-matching alloy spare. I imagine that is triggered with certain options to claw back some payload.

It’s also possible with supply issues that certain trucks will get a compatible spare wheel/tire combo that they might have not normally have gotten.

Here in AZ, I need the spare all the time. The police and highway patrol DGAF about really much and as a result; we have a terrible problem with road debris from open trailers dumping gravel, rocks and pointy debris on the road.

When it matches, I’ll usually even rotate my spare to the right rear; since more than once, either an old tire’s sidewall will be compromised or the debris so bad that the tire was beyond plugging and had to be replaced. That way, the spare will have similar wear to the tire it replaced and I’m not driving around with one brand new tire while the three other corners are at 50%.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I have the Maxxas tire too (18" alloy wheel) and it seems a good match to my 20" Hankooks
Massas: 32.61 inches
Hankook: 32.99 inches
Sponsored