First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if anyone notices it in theirs but the brakes on my truck feel like crap. I'm used to brakes that have a positive pressure. These have a spongy feeling at first application then grab real hard . Worse when backing slow. I thought it was only me but I have had two others driving and within a min they all say what the hell?
I know things are different with hybrid systems but mine are pretty janki.
Brakes on this truck are computer controlled. I'm sure ford can do anything they want to the feel. I'm also sure that the feel is pretty much set after all thus time. I wish the sensitivity woukd be turned down at low speeds especially when reversing.
Sponsored

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I had similar experience with my 22 XLT when brake hold was enabled. After I turned it off the brakes were very smooth and linear.

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
My '22 PB is my 4th hybrid. I would say every single one has a different brake feel than a non-hybrid. Wet streets can also give a weird brake feel when it transitions from regen braking to brake pad friction.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
My '22 PB is my 4th hybrid. I would say every single one has a different brake feel than a non-hybrid. Wet streets can also give a weird brake feel when it transitions from regen braking to brake pad friction.
I have a Toyota with regen braking and agree that it is definitely a different feel compared to typical disc brakes. I accepted the feel as nature of the beast. I’m sure the pad material and feel is ever changing as the technology evolves. probably with each mid year change in mfg and material advancements.
id also be disappointed if my 70-90k truck had jerky brakes.
Its disappointing that the Consumer eats the cost of unfunded engineering R&D More an more these days in more than just cars.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Based on your (OP) description, I'd make the effort to test drive another Powerboost just to verify if your truck is not braking the same as another.

I realize it can be subjective, but I've now has 2 Powerboosts and they both brake indistinguishable from one another and I don't think either brake poorly. Of course they are a little different than traditional ICE brakes, but I'm actually impressed that they got it to feel as traditional as they did.

It is definitely a brake by wire system that could very well be functioning outside intended design parameters.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I to am impressed with the transition between regeneration and physical pad contact. But once the pads make contact they grab. When coasting down from speed like at a light they are sensitive but acceptable. It when I'm creeping in reverse or positioning to my trailer it becomes very aggressive. Just a touch will almost lock them up. While I can get used to it I have others that drive it that always complain and they don't get enough time in it to learn.
Non linear on speed to stop is a certain amount of pressure applied coming to stop. Usually it needs a non changing amount of pressure to a slight change more or less right at wheel stop.
There is a constant amount of pressure needed to almost stop but I have to apply abit more right at the end. But that bit more is super sensitive. A tad too much and I'm cleaning up coffee.
I understand that at the beginning of the breaking current is applied to the generator to produce charging. The pads are not touching. As speed is diminished there is reduced drag from the generator and the pads are engaging. That's a cool balancing act. It's almost like the pads and the residual drag of the generator are working together then the drag of the generator is suddenly removed causing me to apply more pressure right before the wheels stop when in a ICE system you would be reducing pressure.
1. So constant pressure.
Come close to full stop. Apply a bit more.
2. Then quickly reduce pressure right moment wheels stop.
I'm definitely going to take snakes advice and drive another to see if NY difference.
I am also going to bring this in. I'm posting here to practice how to convey my concerns.
Good thing about breaking by wire is the algorithms can be modified. Not on a single truck by truck basis but overall if enough make complaints. But if my truck is particularly grabby I might get some changes done. The truck has 4k on it so pads are seated in by now.
Maybe I have new buyers remorse 75k is alot of money. So far I have found only three things I really don't like.
One being the breaks
Two the super cheep feel of the gearshift. Plastic, squishy, loose, unrefined.
Third and my most hated.
AA auto forcing my phone calls to the headset. This version I can send the call back to the phone. They remove any ability to go private.
Snake I know you just use a dummy phone with no sim card but I hate being micromanage.
I'm not going to be happy until I completely modify everything in thus truck. Some customize the body, I customize the software. It's the Engeneer in me.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think your description of braking is VERY clear and makes perfect sense.

Although your audience here are folks that can relate to every nuance that your words conveyed.

Your service writer at the dealership?
He probably drives a jeep or a Mustang. :)

He has to convey what you say to the technician. That doesn't always go so well. Maybe you can provide a printed description and sweet talk the service writer to include it?

Sure would make things easier if you were simply allowed to communicate with the fella that actually is going to work on your truck. Such a strange industry model.
Sponsored