Noise on cold start Ecoboost

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
I will defend them on the fact that it probably did not do it when they replaced the part and started it up..
Seems to be temperature related, so that's why we waiting till this morning to start it to verify.. Sad thing is, haven't heard from them today even though they said they would call with an update...
I would have called them first thing this morning!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I would have called them first thing this morning!!
The service manager and I started it together at the dealership this morning.. I had low expectations so I wasn't surprised.. He said he was going to talk to the GM and call me shortly.. Been about 7 hours since then..

My Ford rep keeps trying to get them on the phone but cannot.. So he's at a loss as well.. It's bad, nobody seems to care to resolve the problem in a timely fashion..

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like cam phaser or chain slap to me.

I wonder if it really was the turbo if they replaced the wrong one
That's the funny part.. They acted like they found the defective part on the turbo.. Morons... GM today suggested I just do a buyback.. So I informed my Ford rep that's what I want to do.. Crazy stuff..

SEPA F150

First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
That's the funny part.. They acted like they found the defective part on the turbo.. Morons... GM today suggested I just do a buyback.. So I informed my Ford rep that's what I want to do.. Crazy stuff..
That totally sucks man. How many miles on it now? I got a Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost too that I picked up on 12/31 last year. 954 miles on it now.

Got rid of my 2018 for the same came phaser issue for a 2020 GMC 6.2. That had a catastrophic engine failure at 300 miles. Now I'm back in a Ford. Seems as though these machines all all doomed to fail.

Sponsored

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
It totally sounds like a fan shroud hitting.
if it was the turbo there would be some detectable lag, but in your 2nd video it’s instantaneous with RPM increases, also the frequency sound like idle RPMs. The turbos spin up a whole lot higher speed

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It totally sounds like a fan shroud hitting.
if it was the turbo there would be some detectable lag, but in your 2nd video it’s instantaneous with RPM increases, also the frequency sound like idle RPMs. The turbos spin up a whole lot higher speed
I agree with what you are saying.. The noise to me is coming from the valvetrain however..

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That totally sucks man. How many miles on it now? I got a Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost too that I picked up on 12/31 last year. 954 miles on it now.

Got rid of my 2018 for the same came phaser issue for a 2020 GMC 6.2. That had a catastrophic engine failure at 300 miles. Now I'm back in a Ford. Seems as though these machines all all doomed to fail.
It has 315 miles on it.. Only half of those were mine and for only 4 days.. Sheesh...

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope.. Just 3.5...

Sponsored

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Found out today that Ford has approved my buyback... Now to decide if I want the same setup again or not....

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Found out today that Ford has approved my buyback... Now to decide if I want the same setup again or not....
Did you do the buy back? Mine w 750 miles making same noise. Only on first cold start just as loud. Goes away after a few minutes and warms up then quiet as should be.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you do the buy back? Mine w 750 miles making same noise. Only on first cold start just as loud. Goes away after a few minutes and warms up then quiet as should be.
I'm not completely done with the process, but should be soon.. I went and looked at the replacement truck last week.. Just getting the paperwork agreed to at this point.. Sorry you had the same issue.. Did they try to repair it?

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
I'm not completely done with the process, but should be soon.. I went and looked at the replacement truck last week.. Just getting the paperwork agreed to at this point.. Sorry you had the same issue.. Did they try to repair it?
Not yet. Will be making appointment today.

Deleted member 2919

Go with the 5.0L
Sponsored