First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I just recently upped my AT&T plan for 6 months and have confirmed with AT&T that my account is active, and nothing on their end shows an issue.
I am wondering if one of these OTA updates may have disabled something. I’m at a loss. I’m in a 21 PB Lariat Job 1, and I have the most recent updates that they’ve been pushing to me.
Have any of you had an issue with your modem? Is there a trick to try to reset it? Pull a fuse or something? I certainly open to suggestions. I have an appointment with the dealership next week for this, but I’ve already spent too much time there. I’d like nothing better than to be able to cancel.
Thanks
Sponsored

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Same issue here too started noticing the issue early this week. Haven’t had time to test or troubleshoot thoroughly yet.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I just recently upped my AT&T plan for 6 months and have confirmed with AT&T that my account is active, and nothing on their end shows an issue.
I am wondering if one of these OTA updates may have disabled something. I’m at a loss. I’m in a 21 PB Lariat Job 1, and I have the most recent updates that they’ve been pushing to me.
Have any of you had an issue with your modem? Is there a trick to try to reset it? Pull a fuse or something? I certainly open to suggestions. I have an appointment with the dealership next week for this, but I’ve already spent too much time there. I’d like nothing better than to be able to cancel.
Thanks
You can try to reset the TCU to see if it helps, but it is not a quick process. The TCU has internal capacitors and a wide voltage range and it takes disconnecting it for many hours (preferably overnight) to ensure it powers down fully and resets. The TCU is located behind the rear passenger seat. To access it, you’ll need to drop both rear seat backs and then release the panel at the rear of the cab held on by plastic push pins. Once you expose the TCU, disconnect the large connector on the left and let it sit unplugged overnight. I would not pull the fuse (the TCU is not the only system on the circuit and cutting power can be unpredictable) nor would I disconnect the starter battery overnight, particularly if you have a Powerboost. You’ll end up with a dead and likely damaged auxiliary battery.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT MGR
Where is the location of the connector left or right rear seat? Found this in FDRS, is that option viable?

Ford F-150 No WiFi Hot Spot-Dead Modem? 1663943589717

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Thanks
I want to say that if Fordpass can connect then the modem should be ok. Try doing a master reset to Sync and see if it comes online. You may need to also go into the WiFi settings and poke around in there to see if it is sending out an SSID or not. Had that happen on the Ranger after an update. It wiped the SSID from the WiFi config and stopped broadcasting. Had to reset Sync and update the WiFi settings to get it working again.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I forget how the master reset is done. Don’t you hold down the > button and something else at the same time?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I forget how the master reset is done. Don’t you hold down the > button and something else at the same time?
That's the quick reboot.

Master reset proceedure.
  1. Tap Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
  2. Press Reset.
  3. Press Master Reset.
  4. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the reset.
This usually take 1-2 minutes to complete and usually requires going back in and setting things back up the way you liked them in Sync afterwards.

OP
OP

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks bud! I forgot about that one. I will give it a go later today.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
No problem. Hopefully it sorts it out for you.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Where is the location of the connector left or right rear seat? Found this in FDRS, is that option viable?

1663943589717.png
The TCU is behind the rear seat, passenger (right) side. Unfortunately, you have to drop both seat backs to peel back the concealer panel to access it. It’s mounted against the cab wall.

I haven’t used the FDRS options for the TCU as a method of resetting the TCU so I can’t speak to them. When I had a problem with my TCU locking up a couple of months ago, disconnecting the power and letting the capacitors drain is the fix @Jesse-Infotainment recommended and it worked perfectly for me.

As for the APIM option, if it’s the TCU (aka “modem”) that’s causing the problem, resetting the APIM won’t do any good.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcp

Sponsored

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT MGR
So my problem was self inflicted. I’m a knucklehead. Somehow I add the device using my hotspot to the block list so it would try to connect but won’t.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
We've all done stuff like that. :ROFLMAO:Glad you got it sorted out.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So my problem was self inflicted. I’m a knucklehead. Somehow I add the device using my hotspot to the block list so it would try to connect but won’t.
Thanks for being humble!
And you never know how many folks might prosper from the honest update. Someone else has done the same thing, or will. You just shared the remedy. :)
Sponsored