No start...

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Took my Powerboost in to get the transmission oil changed. When the mechanic (original dealer) went to start it....... No go. He spent nearly 12 hours trouble shooting to no avail. They had tried disconnecting the 12v battery to reset things but no effect. I had noticed that there is a small lead acid battery in the rear seat area, pax side. In my experience this is a "Keep alive" battery. They have very limited circuits they "keep alive." Mentioned this to the mechanic. In the end they disconnected the main 12v battery and the small 12v battery, let it sit overnight... And voila: it started and ran fine... So, if you need to do a computer reset, don't forget the keep alive battery, it needs to be disconnected also.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Because, no matter how hard they work to maintain manufacturing cleanliness, there is some amount of machining dust and other debris in a transmission and other components. So I change oil and filter early in life. They do work hard at manufacturing cleanliness, no complaints, just a good practice. My 1992 Suburban went nearly 600,000 miles original engine, still getting 3-4000 miles per quart by doing things like this.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
PS Yes I've already changed my engine oil & filter... 3 times... Why? Because the engine has far tighter tolerances than any other component. The smallest is just 8 Microns... if you look it up the best most filters give you is 30-40 micron filtration. You might check out the engine oil filters on "Cantonracingproducts.com"

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Because, no matter how hard they work to maintain manufacturing cleanliness, there is some amount of machining dust and other debris in a transmission and other components. So I change oil and filter early in life. They do work hard at manufacturing cleanliness, no complaints, just a good practice. My 1992 Suburban went nearly 600,000 miles original engine, still getting 3-4000 miles per quart by doing things like this.
Transmissions have not been built like that in years (at least, not modern transmissions in the last 15 years.) The precision and tolerances, the fluids chemistry, the filtration and the mechanical performance all add up to transmissions that are "sealed" for 100K miles.
The service schedule on fluids is a warranty (liability contract) not a maximum for the fluids. There's zero advantage in swapping fluids and filters more frequently than scheduled.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Sheer sophistry for you to say transmission haven't been built that way in years... Manufacturing is manufacturing, there is always some amount of dust and other stuff that can find its way in... They are quite good, so no criticism of Ford on my part here. Consider that 100,000 miles warranty: it means they are betting it won't fail until 100,001 miles... Oh yeah... you completely missed the point of that post: If you want to reset the computer control circuitry: Don't forget about that keep alive battery...

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Sheer sophistry for you to say transmission haven't been built that way in years... Manufacturing is manufacturing, there is always some amount of dust and other stuff that can find its way in... They are quite good, so no criticism of Ford on my part here. Consider that 100,000 miles warranty: it means they are betting it won't fail until 100,001 miles... Oh yeah... you completely missed the point of that post: If you want to reset the computer control circuitry: Don't forget about that keep alive battery...
Sophistry? Come on … this is an Internet forum, not Oxford debate. : )

You're welcome to cite authoritative resources supporting your assertions which so far you've stated as based on your experience with a single a last-century Suburban.

As for missing the point, I didn't refute the redundant battery idea, though I question any post to a public forum inviting owners to tamper with their cars in ways that risk unintended consequences.

I replied to your separate post on the topic of transmission reliability encouraging others to make unscheduled fluid changes; which I consider to be poor advice, especially given no knowledge or experience.

I think you might enjoy tracking your ownership experience testing your vehicle fluids.

e.g. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/transmission/

Sponsored

Wild Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost Sport
Five points for using sophistry correctly on a pick up truck forum.

Years ago on a motorcycle forum I had a guy call me a shiftless poltroon and challenge me to a sword duel over a disagreement on dual sport tires.

?
Sponsored