First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR 3.5
Occupation
Engineer
Need some help. I’m 70 miles from the house and can’t get my ‘21 3.5 eco boost to start. It’s been running fine all day while using the onboard generator at a tailgate then suddenly died. Will turn over but won’t start and just reached the crank limit. Plenty of fuel and battery appears to be strong because it will turn over without issue. Any ideas on what I can check to get it home? Appreciate the help.
Sponsored

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
I’d try disconnecting the battery for a short time. Not sure if you could go grab a bite to eat or do something to keep you occupied for a short time to let the system reset? Other than getting it towed to the dealership. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
KD10

KD10

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR 3.5
Occupation
Engineer
I’d try disconnecting the battery for a short time. Not sure if you could go grab a bite to eat or do something to keep you occupied for a short time to let the system reset? Other than getting it towed to the dealership. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks Dave, gave that a shot and it didn’t work. Seems like the fuel pump since I can get it to start for a quick second, then acts like it can’t get enough fuel. Anyone else lose a fuel pump at <30,000 miles?

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
Did you figure anything out? Blown fuse maybe? Unless you have a OBD to plug in with a smart device, you’re kinda screwed.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I’d try disconnecting the battery for a short time.
That is a really bad idea. The Powerboost has an auxiliary battery. Disconnecting the starting battery won‘t reset the system. What it will do is drain and possibly damage the auxiliary.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I think he said he said he has the eco boost not the PB version.

OP
OP
KD10

KD10

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR 3.5
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the responses. Ended up having it towed to the dealership to get it looked at today. I’m pretty stumped on what it could be but it almost felt like it couldn’t get adequate fuel supply. One time it turned over for a few seconds then acted like it was starving before quitting. In other news, the Ford Roadside service worked really well. I’ll follow up once we get it figured out.

OP
OP
KD10

KD10

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR 3.5
Occupation
Engineer
Just a follow up for anyone that may run into the same issue. It did end up being the fuel pump. Service rep said he has seen a slight uptick in fuel pump issues on the ’21 3.5 eco boost lately. Took almost a week to get the part in but resolved the issue. Looking back on it, I did notice a slightly rough idle at times that may have been an indicator but it was never bad enough to let the engine die. I can’t complain too much, it’s the only issue I’ve had since owning the truck.
Sponsored