Sponsored

No powered running boards for Lightning?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
While checking out the build configurator yesterday I noticed that all trucks are only offered with fixed running boards. I noticed one person on the big order thread asked their dealer to add them to the order manually which is what I might do. Or are they somehow not compatible with the Lightning due to battery packaging?

I would likely go without any running boards if the powered ones were not available.
Sponsored

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
If I recall correctly, the guide said something about not being available on the configuration due to supply issues (?) but they would come available later. It said if the dealer adds them manually in their end it may delay production of the vehicle being modified. I think it’s a chip or parts issue… it’s going to be available at some point.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5
Occupation
Electrician
Yes the guide does say late availability so it likely won't be available until 2023MY.
If you can, go check them out on an ICE truck. I personally wouldn't want them as it is just another part to break. Also, they are quite noisy when they move and you're sitting in the truck (I heard them retract after I got in)

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I drove a '21 PB a couple months ago to get an idea of the features I wanted on the Lightning. The powered running boards made it to the the list of wants. You're right that the noise is a little annoying, but fixed boards are ugly to me and are probably worth a couple percentage points of range due to aero. I suppose worst case I could have the truck delivered with fixed boards and then replace them with powered ones once they come in (someday), though that's a bit of a hassle. I sent my dealer an email last night asking about them. We'll see what he says.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I'm sure you could also find an aftermarket power running board at some point, too.

Sponsored

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150 Plat EB, '22 F150 Plat PB Ordered
I've had them for four years now on my '18 Platinum and personally, I like them. I agree with the above thoughts that you could always add them aftermarket if you want them.

GOP.EV.Driver

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla (x2)/Audi
While checking out the build configurator yesterday I noticed that all trucks are only offered with fixed running boards. I noticed one person on the big order thread asked their dealer to add them to the order manually which is what I might do. Or are they somehow not compatible with the Lightning due to battery packaging?

I would likely go without any running boards if the powered ones were not available.
Probably was me.

They are compatible but in short supply, even for ICE. I'm putting them on a Platinum so I assume they'll want to make that get built, since it's obviously got some very healthy margins in it. Either way, I'm willing to wait. Had them on a fully-loaded '21 Expedition and it looked way classier to me than fixed boards.

I'll probably keep this truck much longer than most my vehicles (until their EV Expedition is released or my Rivian R1s Max Pack is built), so 2ish years with fixed would drive me nuts.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I was disappointed that the power running boards are not available from the start. I have them on my 18KR and like them. I like the clean look the truck has when they are not deployed. Just look so much better then the permanent running boards.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I had a used 16 F150 Platinum, and I had nothing but issues with them when I picked up the truck. They get stuck going down, get stuck going up, make load noises, etc... I lubricated, and cleaned them as the manual and the forums suggested.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone have a truck without any running boards at all? How is ingress/egress? My current truck doesn't have them, but it's also just a midsize with just under 8 inches of ground clearance.

Sponsored

GOP.EV.Driver

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla (x2)/Audi
Anyone have a truck without any running boards at all? How is ingress/egress? My current truck doesn't have them, but it's also just a midsize with just under 8 inches of ground clearance.
I've been in a F150 without them (not mine) and it's fine. I'm 6'4" so had no problems with it, but you can tell it was a decent sized step. My 5'6" mother however needs them to get in/out.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
Just my opinion from experience: had a 98 f150 that didn't have them. Was ok to get in/out of. I had a pair of nerf bars from the wife's toyota tundra that we took off when trading it in abd I had a welder put them on this older truck...was so much easier getting in and out of that pickup. It didn't look too bad. The length of the bars went beyond the cab to the box which actually was a benefit. So I find that bars help, but that's just me. I like the added benefit of the power deploy bars. Will help also when washing the truck. So for me, it's worth ordering without the regular bars if the power deployed will be available in the future, I'd thrh don't cost a fortune. I keep shaking my head at 80k...dang that's that's alot for an f150 truck isn't it?!!! Anyway, that's my take, others will think differently.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's not a bad price compared to a Model S.

I'm 5'11" on a good day, so it would probably be a bit more of a hassle getting in and out without any boards at all. I do wonder what the impact to range will be for fixed vs. powered vs. no boards, and what Ford will do the EPA test with. Tire and wheel selection on a Model S can make a noticeable 3-7% difference in range (see the drop in range on the platinum with 22s). Driving with the sunroof open makes for an even heavier hit.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It's not a bad price compared to a Model S.

I'm 5'11" on a good day, so it would probably be a bit more of a hassle getting in and out without any boards at all. I do wonder what the impact to range will be for fixed vs. powered vs. no boards, and what Ford will do the EPA test with. Tire and wheel selection on a Model S can make a noticeable 3-7% difference in range (see the drop in range on the platinum with 22s). Driving with the sunroof open makes for an even heavier hit.
I'm about 5'9". I had a 2018 Lariat that came without boards. I had to use the grab handle to get in. My wife is 5'1" and she could barely get in and out.
Sponsored