• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Wait, that site is working for everyone else? I still see access denied.

https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning
It went back down shortly going live.
Wait, that site is working for everyone else? I still see access denied.

https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning
They killed the page shortly after going live. It appears to be back now, with just a few tweets to verbiage on optionality that seem inconsequential to me.

There a small "pre-production" model image shown by the way.

Still a non-reveal "reveal". I guess they have given themselves until March...

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
My current guesstimate is that the inverter being referenced is in regard to for this system is simply a small inverter that performs a grid-forming (voltage-forming) output for the truck to feed AC into. This would be a smallish-inverter dedicated to the "dark start battery" now being referenced to come with the HIS.

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch 1641844034874-

One other piece of potentially supporting evidence here is that a retention slot can be seen in the center of the image with a CCS connector that has been produced (I have never seen the video by Car and Driver this is said to be clipped from). Clearly the end was not placed back in that opening which in this environment surprises me and suggests the CCS end on this cable might not actually fit into the opening. Again, there has been no other indication the end will be CCS other than this photo apparently obtained during a Car and Driver journalist visit.

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch 1641844411239-

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Suggests 9.6kW inverter of Pro Power Onboard system exports power to house with the Ford Charge Station Pro:

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch 1641867615464

Sponsored
OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Another forum is reporting that SR Lightnings that want to use intelligent home back-up system WILL have to have upgrade of pro power onboard system to the optional 9.6kW max output. This goes against what I have previously said on this forum, I guess I will eat those words though I am always suspicious of what auto show staff do and don't know and the "translation" that comes with what they said. But if true, I can only think this suggests that the vehicle would be doing the DC to AC conversion. I am shocked nobody can get to the bottom of the electrical system of this vehicle in late January 2022, with ordering already having begun. I feel sorry for any SR purchasers who don't upgrade to the 9.6kW pro power onboard system and get screwed by this if they end up wanting intelligent home back-up (if report is accurate).

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I agree that it's crazy we still haven't received the breakdown on how this home backup system works. If the system costs more than $4k in parts alone I'll probably pass.

Even having to add a 200A panel would break the bank.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The original photo included other boxes.

"Home Integration System and Ford Charge Station Pro "

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I believe this is new: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ning/pdf/FordChargeStationPro-Specs_06_v2.pdf

- More reference to industry standard J1772, no mention of "combined" or CCS.
- 25ft cord
- 3 year warranty
- Adjustable power levels down to support from 20A breaker (16A draw)
- Works with Home Integration System
- Dynamic color LED shows power (voltage presence I assume), bidirectional power status, vehicle connected status, charging status
- Rear or side power entry

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Charge Station Pro "installation specs for licensed electricians": https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ightning/pdf/Lightning_FCSP_Install_Specs.pdf

- No information on Home Integration System use included.
- Says to take advantage of full charge rate, "most" homes will require new or second service.
- Visit sunrun.com this SUMMER for more installation information.

Going back to first post of thread, I think I called it on the design of this product being behind. Good luck integrating backup this way in advance of vehicle delivery wave 1, 2....

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
"...Another forum is reporting that SR Lightnings that want to use intelligent home back-up system WILL have to have upgrade of pro power onboard system to the optional 9.6kW max output..."

this is correct. Ford is using the full 9.6Kw power available from the battery pack. Without that, the maximum power output would be 2.4Kw, which is only 10amps at 240 volts - very little for any home to make use of.
Now, does that mean that ANY of these trucks, whether Pro Power Onboard or not, could not still power your home, even WITHOUT any tie-in to your home's power panel? Of course not - this is a large 'generator', whether it has the pro power or not - you can still use the outlets that are available in the case of the home's power loss. For those who 'want' to spend money trying to create the 'ultimate' power system to tie-in automatically with their home can certainly do that, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us are not able to, we just have to in a different way.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
"...Another forum is reporting that SR Lightnings that want to use intelligent home back-up system WILL have to have upgrade of pro power onboard system to the optional 9.6kW max output..."

this is correct. Ford is using the full 9.6Kw power available from the battery pack. Without that, the maximum power output would be 2.4Kw, which is only 10amps at 240 volts - very little for any home to make use of.
Now, does that mean that ANY of these trucks, whether Pro Power Onboard or not, could not still power your home, even WITHOUT any tie-in to your home's power panel? Of course not - this is a large 'generator', whether it has the pro power or not - you can still use the outlets that are available in the case of the home's power loss. For those who 'want' to spend money trying to create the 'ultimate' power system to tie-in automatically with their home can certainly do that, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us are not able to, we just have to in a different way.
A couple notes on this:

The 2.4kW is 10A @240V as you reference. Expect 120VAC use to be limited to only 1.2kW per 120VAC leg of the 240V system. You can get 1.2kW on each of the two 120V legs, but loads like a microwave or hair dryer/electric heater might be DOA with this system.

My major incentive for making the Intelligent Home Backup system operable at minimal additional installation cost over "generator use of Pro Power Onboard" is not to create an automatic or blinkless backup power system. For me it is so that on-site solar generation can be incorporated as a supplementing on-site power source when in back-up or off grid in general - maybe this is an "ultimate" capability. I'm expecting one option will have a bidirectional element and the other one won't, though TBD for sure and especially if the Intelligent Home Back-Up is using the same DC to AC power conversion as the Pro Power Onboard generator.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
My low cost solution: heavy duty extension cords into the house.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My low cost solution: heavy duty extension cords into the house.
My charger is already plugged into a 50A outlet, I *could* just unplug the charger and backfeed to the charger outlet.

Disclaimer: Obviously don't do this! It's totally illegal!

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My charger is already plugged into a 50A outlet, I *could* just unplug the charger and backfeed to the charger outlet.

Disclaimer: Obviously don't do this! It's totally illegal!
This is what I'm thinking too. It would feed back to a 100A panel which powers my "essential" services and which has a manual cutoff switch to isolate it from the main 200A panel. Would this be illegal too?
Sponsored