• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I have asked my Ford dealer, a Sunrun rep, and my solar provider, and tweeted at Ford, the Ford EV marketing team, Sunrun, etc. Absolutely no one will reveal what the cost will be of the switch required to use the truck as a home generator. I don't know how they expect us to make a decision, possibly next week, about whether to pay for that feature if we have no idea what it costs.
Sunrun has shared on Twitter that they will have more information available "in the coming months". The tweet might be hard to find among the immense negative feedback they are kind enough to respond to on Twitter (but apparently not in real life).

I am not even confident the device will be able to charge my Nissan Leaf that has no CCS inlet. How's that for not being able to plan ahead.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
You sure you have a platinum on order or is that what you plan when Ford decides to convert your $100 raffle ticket into an order?
Good point - will convert to an order next week (#2 at Gireco in Delray BEach)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I am not even confident the device will be able to charge my Nissan Leaf that has no CCS inlet. How's that for not being able to plan ahead.
Sure it will. Unless you plan to spend big bucks on a DC Fast Charger, all you need is the J-1772 that came on your Leaf.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Sure it will. Unless you plan to spend big bucks on a DC Fast Charger, all you need is the J-1772 that came on your Leaf.
Speculation is that the 80A charger might come with a CCS connector for direct access to DC battery for home back-up reverse power. CCS is incompatible with CHAdeMO the Leaf has.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
I have asked my Ford dealer, a Sunrun rep, and my solar provider, and tweeted at Ford, the Ford EV marketing team, Sunrun, etc. Absolutely no one will reveal what the cost will be of the switch required to use the truck as a home generator. I don't know how they expect us to make a decision, possibly next week, about whether to pay for that feature if we have no idea what it costs.
There was a Ford rep "Ian" on the Ford Lightning road tour who fielded all the 80A charger questions that the other reps could not answer. He stated that the cost to upgrade to the 80A charger would most likely be in the $1500-$2000 range and would INCLUDE the Sunrun transfer switch. So the ER Lightning comes with the transfer switch. He also confirmed that the CCS Combo Type 1 plug on the 80A charger only uses the J1772 top half to charge and the two DC pins to whole home back up. Good info for those with non CCS vehicles in the garage already who want to maintain a single EVSE for charging in the garage. Hopefully the standard J1772 to Tesla adapter will fit on the CCS Type 1.

Sponsored

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
The Sunrun CEO is indicated to be a speaker at this product launch event.

https://www.span.io/product-launch-streaming
Whatever announcement was on that page does not appear to be there now...?

We couldn't find the page you were looking for. This is either because:

• There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
  • The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted.
You can return to our homepage by clicking here, or you can try searching for the content you are seeking by clicking here.

Based on what you had seen, did the product launch announcement include more than the "Span" product on the site already? Just curious!

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Whatever announcement was on that page does not appear to be there now...?

We couldn't find the page you were looking for. This is either because:

• There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
  • The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted.
You can return to our homepage by clicking here, or you can try searching for the content you are seeking by clicking here.
Based on what you had seen, did the product launch announcement include more than the "Span" product on the site already? Just curious!
I think I just messed up copying the link. Try this. No real detail.

https://www.span.io/product-launch-streaming-event

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
It looks like it can function currently from what I have seen.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Just to be clear. This is what I think is possible.

One is that every truck has power out.

The way the home integration is that is a bi-directional CCS that has a transfer.

It is possible to use the bed or frunk to charge with if you can get ground to work.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I would like to reflect on those people discussing replacing their existing house power panel, I don't think replacing the house power panel is necessary. Most alternative power supplies require a transfer switch between the meter and the power panel, not down stream of the power panel. The big question is whether the feeders coming from the electrical service to the power panel can handle the amperage of the house plus the F150L 80A EVSE.

I would really like to see the wiring diagram and installation instructions for the F150L 80A EVSE. I think it's pointless for any of us to be talking to electricians giving installation estimates until we find out more about the F150L 80A EVSE. If anyone can get their hands on a wiring diagram and/or the installation instructions for the F150L 80A EVSE please provide a link or attach to a post.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I don't have enough ampacity to add in 100A circuit. Currently I charge an EV at night and almost never go past 7Kw on a 24Kw panel for entire house If one used the 80A they could draw 19+KW and unknown spikes. Bet lights could dim. Power company would notice.

Undisclosed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Lightning Reservation
I scanned the threads on here but it wasn't quite clear to me if we knew definitively that the truck would output AC (utilizing onboard inverter) or DC (requiring separate inverter) home backup solution.

I stumbled across this recent article which quotes the truck's chief engineer Linda Zhang:
"We ended up with something called Intelligent Backup Power. It uses the Lightning's actual charging port on the side of the truck, where you plug it in to charge, to do bidirectional power transfer with the extended range batteries, turning the truck into a mobile backup generator on wheels for an entire home ecosystem paired with a home inverter."

That clears it up for me that truck is outputting DC and will require an external inverter. I have not seen anything indicating the 80A charger will include a transfer switch and/or inverter so assume those will be separate.

Between the inverter + transfer switch + electrician I think we will easily be looking at $10k+ to utilize this feature.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The photos of the deal make me think it outputs DC along with the connection to DC.
Sponsored