• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
How does 80% rule applied to 30A outlets? For example, 80A charger will require 100A breaker, 48A chargers require 60A breakers. Does that mean 30A breakers should only be loaded at 24A max continuously?
Yes.
Sponsored

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
How does 80% rule applied to 30A outlets? For example, 80A charger will require 100A breaker, 48A chargers require 60A breakers. Does that mean 30A breakers should only be loaded at 24A max continuously?
It doesn't directly. A 30A outlet can continuously supply 30A. This does not speak to the circuit serving it and it's protection. Often the breaker protection set to the plug amp value by nature will limit the continuous load to 80%. But there are specialty overcurrent options that are rated for 100% of the amp rating which they might be using (seems to be something resettable vs a replaceable fuse). Or, it could be it won't supply 7.2kW continuosly (3 hours). Note that a 30A standard thermal magnetic breaker doesn't trip right when it sees 32A - it has to heat up and may actually never heat up enough to trip at 32A.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
That is correct. 30A breaker with 24A continuous draw.

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
perfect.
I am getting a 30A gen inlet installed for the portable generator and it should work with the trunk bed outlet as well.
When the specs of the 80A home backup are published and the price is not too much, I might get that too. Would be nice to have multiple options in case there is an extended outage or truck is not at home.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
In order to do this I assume you also need to get the 80a Charge Station Pro. The SR has no actual charging advantage with the 80a over the 48a Charge Station. According to the spec sheet they both charge the SR in 10 hours.
Yes the charging speed is set by the in vehicle battery management. Which the ER has an extra charge Circuit.

Also the 80a charger comes with the home transfer switch to integrate backup power to your house. And can charge future/other vehicles faster

Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The power went out at around 4 am for 6 hours. Being Sunday morning, I waited till 6 or so to keep disturbance to a minimum and before turning the generator up. It is loud!

would be nice to have a super quiet setup fro pro sr as a backup and not have to disturb the neighbors.

(for extended outages, folks are most understandable of neighborhood generators).

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
I was at the Lightning test ride tonight in Boston and one of the reps confirmed that the extended range trucks would come with the 80 amp charger AND a transfer switch so all you need is an installer. Doesn't have to be Sunrun.

I recall seeing that question somewhere but I can't find it now that the forum is broken up.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
perfect.
I am getting a 30A gen inlet installed for the portable generator and it should work with the trunk bed outlet as well.
When the specs of the 80A home backup are published and the price is not too much, I might get that too. Would be nice to have multiple options in case there is an extended outage or truck is not at home.
Are you planning to use the gen inlet to power your home from the truck? If so there may be issues with that based on other threads and videos :( Read the comments in this video:

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Are you planning to use the gen inlet to power your home from the truck? If so there may be issues with that based on other threads and videos :( Read the comments in this video:
It is the same issue with portable gens which mostly come with grounded neutral nowadays. To hook up the truck to the gen inlet, there ground/neutral bond needs to be removed.
I assume the 80A home backup with use the transfer switch that also switches out the neutral.

I wish Ford was more forthcoming with the details so that folks can plan accordingly.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I was at the Lightning test ride tonight in Boston and one of the reps confirmed that the extended range trucks would come with the 80 amp charger AND a transfer switch so all you need is an installer. Doesn't have to be Sunrun.

I recall seeing that question somewhere but I can't find it now that the forum is broken up.
This is actually not what I wanted as I already have an EV charger and a whole-home generator for power outages, but if the responses I've gotten when bringing this up in the past are any i dication, I should have no problem selling my 80 amp charger and transfer switch to someone with a vacation home. ?

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Why do headlines to threads state things as facts, when they very clearly are not? This thread is literally saying in the headline the home back up will not be available at launch, but then says "it is my opinion" in the body.

I may as well start a thread saying "The Ford Lightning will be offered in Pink Panther Pink Metallic at Launch", but then state, "I predict the Ford Lightning will have a Pink option based on the fact that no one answered any further questions about color options."

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I may as well start a thread saying "The Ford Lightning will be offered in Pink Panther Pink Metallic at Launch", but then state, "I predict the Ford Lightning will have a Pink option based on the fact that no one answered any further questions about color options."
Why not Hello Kitty package? Or Cherry Blossom pink??

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Why do headlines to threads state things as facts, when they very clearly are not? This thread is literally saying in the headline the home back up will not be available at launch, but then says "it is my opinion" in the body.

It's called a hook and is common practice headline writers use to draw attention. Maybe the OP is begging to be fact checked as surely someone in the know would see and correct.

Unfortunately it appears we are still on track for order banks to open with no details on this important element of "system cost" for a function Ford is heavily advertising for this vehicle. Yes, details could impact vehicle selection at order time.