• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This is what I'm thinking too. It would feed back to a 100A panel which powers my "essential" services and which has a manual cutoff switch to isolate it from the main 200A panel. Would this be illegal too?
It’s not illegal if you have a breaker interlock. You basically have two, 100A breakers feeding your panel. They are interlocked such that only one can be on at a time.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This is what I'm thinking too. It would feed back to a 100A panel which powers my "essential" services and which has a manual cutoff switch to isolate it from the main 200A panel. Would this be illegal too?
i don’t know NEC by heart but pretty sure the answer is yes. You need a transfer switch that disconnects the main feed at the same time that it opens the generator feed. The house I'm in already had an automatic transfer switch when I moved in but in my last house I set up a transfer switch for my portable generator. You can get a relatively inexpensive manual transfer switch that meets code. It shouldn't be that expensive to get installed either.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...-Generator-Transfer-Switch-TCA1006D/202216484

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
i don’t know NEC by heart but pretty sure the answer is yes. You need a transfer switch that disconnects the main feed at the same time that it opens the generator feed. The house I'm in already had an automatic transfer switch when I moved in but in my last house I set up a transfer switch for my portable generator. You can get a relatively inexpensive manual transfer switch that meets code. It shouldn't be that expensive to get installed either.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...-Generator-Transfer-Switch-TCA1006D/202216484
This is what I have inside my panel... it is an either/or switch to allow generator/grid to power the panel.

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch PXL_20220128_220621134 (1)

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yup, same idea. I don't know what types are officially legal under current code but conceptually that does what is required to make it safe.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It’s not illegal if you have a breaker interlock. You basically have two, 100A breakers feeding your panel. They are interlocked such that only one can be on at a time.
He can't feed his charger if the interlock is in place...

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yup, same idea. I don't know what types are officially legal under current code but conceptually that does what is required to make it safe.
Breaker interlocks like the one pictured are NEC-compliant. As long as the setup is UL listed by the manufacturer,it’s fine.
What you can’t do is cobble up something home grown, or intermingle components from different manufacturers.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He can't feed his charger if the interlock is in place...
Correct - that’s also true if you used a transfer switch. What we‘re missing is exactly how the Ford equipment functions. It will likely require a separate AC circuit for EVSE power and backup power. The circuit for backup power won’t need to be nearly as large as EVSE power. All we can do at this point is speculate until more technical data is made available.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'll just use the tried and true method of accessing the 240v 30amp outlet at the rear of the truck for 'whole house' powering - if every needed... and use the 'interlock' method shown in this episode of "Ask This Old House"...

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I'll just use the tried and true method of accessing the 240v 30amp outlet at the rear of the truck for 'whole house' powering - if every needed... and use the 'interlock' method shown in this episode of "Ask This Old House"...

I guess even “this old house “ has a EV in the garage, as evidenced by the Clipper Creek EVSE in the background. Heck yeah!

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
That show is on the second floor of an old barn. I do recall seeing one of the shows that had that EVSE. Maybe more than one.

TOS shows one way to rig a generator of course. They do make 100A and 200A transfer switches. The 80A install would include some sort of ABT/MBT.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
Second setup is EXACTLY what I have installed, down to the Murray panel and Siemens mechanical interlock.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Bringing this back up as I've considered the same thing, however I've also learned that that bonded neutral of the truck will play havoc with its GFCI as it is connected to the home panel via a backfed breaker.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Bringing this back up as I've considered the same thing, however I've also learned that that bonded neutral of the truck will play havoc with its GFCI as it is connected to the home panel via a backfed breaker.

You would "just" need to lift the N-G bond in the panel and you'd be off to the races. Not something you want to take lightly but if this is for the SHTF I would say go for it, test it once to prove it out, and hope your charged when the power goes out :)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You would "just" need to lift the N-G bond in the panel and you'd be off to the races.
In some cases, this isn’t possible, and in most others, it’s not advisable.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
In some cases, this isn’t possible, and in most others, it’s not advisable.
Certainly not if there is a potential they remain disconnected when connected to the grid. But it is the way to make the truck happily feed the house.
Sponsored