No GPS signal after APIM update

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
These posts where folks are without their truck for WEEKS at a time for APIM concerns are so frustrating.

I'm convinced that only the tiniest percentage of them are legitimately a hardware issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ffdlt371

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
After starting this discussion and going through the process, my dealer had ordered me a new APIM because they couldn't fix it. After I fixed it with the help of members here, it only took a few weeks for the new APIM to come in. I told my dealer I didn't want to change it out. It was definitely a software issue. Just settings caused by an updated. I agree with you.

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
These posts where folks are without their truck for WEEKS at a time for APIM concerns are so frustrating.

I'm convinced that only the tiniest percentage of them are legitimately a hardware issue.
I agree. I don't even believe my first APIM was bad. It was working fine prior to going in to Ford. They did a reset and probably and update, then it started to have issues.. I don't know why they wouldn't immediately think it was software related if all of these issues started after updating the software.. but what do I know. lol

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
After starting this discussion and going through the process, my dealer had ordered me a new APIM because they couldn't fix it. After I fixed it with the help of members here, it only took a few weeks for the new APIM to come in. I told my dealer I didn't want to change it out. It was definitely a software issue. Just settings caused by an updated. I agree with you.
So all you had to do was make the changes to Mobile Navigation, Navigation Repeater and X40 SDARS Radio in FORScan to get everything working again?

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21(1).302.PB.157.OX
adding a couple pics showing what mine was doing. they ended up replacing apim.

Ford F-150 No GPS signal after APIM update 20230512_071853

Ford F-150 No GPS signal after APIM update 20230524_145505
Ford F-150 No GPS signal after APIM update 20230521_151008

Ford F-150 No GPS signal after APIM update 20230430_075944

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ffdlt371

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
So all you had to do was make the changes to Mobile Navigation, Navigation Repeater and X40 SDARS Radio in FORScan to get everything working again?
Yes

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
adding a couple pics showing what mine was doing. they ended up replacing apim.

20230512_071853.jpg

20230524_145505.jpg
20230521_151008.jpg

20230430_075944.jpg
Interesting. Mine was different.. The map would load (said I was in Dearborn), but it would have "GPS" with a line through it. Also I couldn't connect Android Auto because it couldn't locate me by GPS. I didn't try Sirius, because the truck has been at ford through most of my trial and it expired last month.

CanBCPB

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Explorer ST
Interesting. Mine was different.. The map would load (said I was in Dearborn), but it would have "GPS" with a line through it. Also I couldn't connect Android Auto because it couldn't locate me by GPS. I didn't try Sirius, because the truck has been at ford through most of my trial and it expired last month.
Mine was the exact same as yours. Crazy that dealers are having trucks sit for weeks and replacing stuff because of this issue.

Time to start a side business perhaps, some remote logging in to help affected guys trucks !

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Mine was the exact same as yours. Crazy that dealers are having trucks sit for weeks and replacing stuff because of this issue.

Time to start a side business perhaps, some remote logging in to help affected guys trucks !
Do you know what exactly they did to yours to fix it?

Sponsored

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
I was able to fix mine myself luckily. A few changes with FORScan and a couple of module resets was all it took.
Was it the same three changes that Ffdlt371 called out (Mobile Navigation, Navigation Repeater and X40 SDARS Radio)?

CanBCPB

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Explorer ST
I had the same issue after I updated everything through my mongoose cable with FDRS. I picked up a new 22’ a month ago that was so far behind on updates that I thought it was stuck, so I pushed everything to it, no problem.

The next day, I go out to my truck and I get the Sirius “loading” and no GPS symbol.

So naturally I start digging…..

I gave it two days before trying to fix it myself, I tried a master reset, APIM and TCU reset through FORScan, and even changed the settings mentioned earlier for the X40 SDARS. Although I didn’t see a “GPS Repeater” option, I saw a “GPS from Telematic control unit module” that was disabled, so I enabled that.

I left that for a day, and overnight I received my very first OTA update 4.2.3. Man, was I excited. Now If I could only fix my gps Issue.

In a last ditch effort I opened FORScan again last night, and figured I’d perhaps put that “gps from TCU” setting back to disabled. I wrote that setting, the truck did its thing, but to no avail. But before I got out of the truck I decided to do a soft reset (power and FF button hold) and when it booted back up I had GPS again !

Glad I was able to sort it out myself, but damn….if you’re not ready to invest some time or you’re not computer savvy then I feel for ya.

Thanks to everyone here that’s posted their stories so far.
This is a description of how my fix went.

fixed the satellite radio issue with the x40 sdars setting. Everything else was a little bit more of a guessing game.

Mjmccue

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Back to the dealer for two more days of trying to get the GPS and Sirius signal. Couldn’t fix it so now the Ford repair “Flow” chart says replace the APIM. Here we go throwing parts at it hoping something sticks. As this is warranty work I don’t have any choice but to go with what Ford recommends. We will see if this fixes it.

JDaleo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch
Back to the dealer for two more days of trying to get the GPS and Sirius signal. Couldn’t fix it so now the Ford repair “Flow” chart says replace the APIM. Here we go throwing parts at it hoping something sticks. As this is warranty work I don’t have any choice but to go with what Ford recommends. We will see if this fixes it.
I hit 35 days today that my truck has been at the dealer. I gave them some things to look at and try. If i get anywhere, i'll let you know so you can recommend the same to your dealer, or have them look at my ticket so they can replicate.

Mjmccue

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I will be very interested in hearing what the fix is if and when they figure it out. I just wish I could get a straight answer out of Ford.
Sponsored