Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Some 2021 F-150 vehicles equipped with zone lighting may exhibit a key off battery drain when the zone lighting power button is left enabled in the SYNC4 display or FordPass app. Inform the customer that Ford is investigating potential causes of battery drain. To reduce the risk of a battery drain, it is recommended to disable the zone lighting power button when not in use. Ford is developing software that will be programmed to the vehicle via an over-the-air (OTA) update in2Q 2021. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment for late April. Once the update becomes available, contact the customer to ask whether they received the OTA update and confirm if the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2021 TRUCK: FD P702N F150
Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Ford is developing software that will be programmed to the vehicle via an over-the-air (OTA) update in2Q 2021.
The hidden nugget for me is this: it sounds like Ford is embracing a regular scheduled OTA updates as a normal operational flow. This is a paradigm shift.

Believing that they were committing to this business model was, in my mind, the biggest draw to the ‘21 platform.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
The hidden nugget for me is this: it sounds like Ford is embracing a regular scheduled OTA updates as a normal operational flow. This is a paradigm shift.

Believing that they were committing to this business model was, in my mind, the biggest draw to the ‘21 platform.
I think Ford will only do OTA on the infotainment functionality. They will probably change the programming of the zone lighting to be shut-off on key-off events.

They won't do OTA updates of the 29 control modules throughout the truck. That is way too disruptive to how they design, implement, and support the logic in those modules and requires very careful synchronization.

I have to admit, the OTA capability was a draw for me but I'm growing my appreciation of how limited in scope it will benefit me.

But finally, a clue in the battery drain mystery.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Some 2021 F-150 vehicles equipped with zone lighting may exhibit a key off battery drain when the zone lighting power button is left enabled in the SYNC4 display or FordPass app. Inform the customer that Ford is investigating potential causes of battery drain. To reduce the risk of a battery drain, it is recommended to disable the zone lighting power button when not in use. Ford is developing software that will be programmed to the vehicle via an over-the-air (OTA) update in2Q 2021. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment for late April. Once the update becomes available, contact the customer to ask whether they received the OTA update and confirm if the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2021 TRUCK: FD P702N F150
Very interesting. I have the battery drain issue so this is a good piece of info. Thanks.

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I think Ford will only do OTA on the infotainment functionality. They will probably change the programming of the zone lighting to be shut-off on key-off events.

They won't do OTA updates of the 29 control modules throughout the truck. That is way too disruptive to how they design, implement, and support the logic in those modules and requires very careful synchronization.

I have to admit, the OTA capability was a draw for me but I'm growing my appreciation of how limited in scope it will benefit me.

But finally, a clue in the battery drain mystery.
I suspect the scope of the OTA updates will be a bit more than infotainment centric.

My dealer mentioned the delivery CoPilot360, or whatever the hands-free driving is called, for Q3'ish in the form of an OTA update. I think I also saw something regarding features like Trail Turn Assist being delivered via OTA, but I could be wrong.

I know other vehicle platforms have some form of OTA for Infotainment features, but my belief is that the use of this update feature is likely to be part of a larger strategy to increase service delivery to vehicles, which would reduce the rationale for them always having them come in to a shop for updates. Time will tell though!

Also, this is my first experience with the F150 (and trucks in general) so I could be way off base on this one!

Sponsored

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Still waiting for mine but is it a physical button or an infotainment setting that you must adjust every time you turn off the truck?

Thanks!

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
Still waiting for mine but is it a physical button or an infotainment setting that you must adjust every time you turn off the truck?

Thanks!
It's an infotainment button on mine, unless other trims have it as a physical button.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Got this on my FordPass account.
Ford F-150 NHTSA SSM 49621 -- 2021 F-150 Battery Draw Possible If Zone Lighting Power Button Left ON C0D602A1-226F-45B2-9C4C-979DCF5F1000

Looks like they found the issue!

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Got this on my FordPass account.
C0D602A1-226F-45B2-9C4C-979DCF5F1000.png

Looks like they found the issue!
Maybe... Hopefully for those that have the problem. I'm not sure if mine is on or off. I'll check later. I received the same notification.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I've had mine turned on since day one with no issues, but will now turn it off before I start to. I so rarely use Zone Lighting that the extra few seconds it takes to turn it on won't bother me at all.

Hopefully this resolves the issues others are having.

Sponsored

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I just got the same notice......good times owning a new truck.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I also received my notice. Would be great if this is the smoking gun for the battery drain issue....

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
I’ll stay on top of Ford OASIS for updates.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
Checked the voltage this morning and for the first time its at a somewhat healthy 12.36V with 70% SOC!!!! Finally, some good signs that the zone lighting may be the culprit. Please note that at first I tried turning off the zone lighting with the app and that didn't do it. I confirmed through the center console it was still on so I turned it off manually.
Sponsored