Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
2021MY F-150 Auto Start-Stop Removal Availability

ACTION REQUESTED

• Please be aware of new availability of Start-Stop Removal option for 21MY F-150 and resulting impact to scheduling orders.

SUMMARY
As a way for U.S. customers to get their F-150s sooner, Ford will implement an optional Auto Start/Stop removal on F-150s for the balance of the year. The F-150 is being prioritized over other vehicles because it is the fastest to implement and satisfy customer demand. Those who decide to purchase an F-150 with the optional start/stop removal will receive a $50 credit. Auto Stop/Start will be removed from the standard section of all Monroney labels. The removal option will be shown in the optional section of the Monroney sticker as Auto Start Stop Removal. Implementation timing estimates for F-150 (3.5L, 2.7L and 5.0L) is late August/early September. The Auto Start/Stop function will remain as standard equipment for those customers who prefer it. However, the delivery timing for those vehicles will be longer.

• To optimize availability of Start-Stop functionality, all stock orders will be required to be modified to include the Start-Stop Removal feature for scheduling until further notice.
• Retail and Fleet orders may retain this feature at their discretion.
• Existing unscheduled Stock orders will be amended to include 52X.
• Newly entered stock orders will require 52X to be added during order submission.
• To align with current chip availability, some previously scheduled stock orders with the above configurations will be spec changed to add the Auto Start-Stop Removal (Option Code: 52X).
• Updated J1 and J2 order guides and pricing will be posted to FMCDealer on Monday August 2, 2021.

Note: Removal of Auto Start-Stop functionality will impact fuel economy on those affected units. Updated EPA-estimated fuel economy will be printed on window labels.
This seems to be written in such circular legalese, until that last line it sounded like
So for those of us with an unscheduled retail order, this option will not be added automatically? If we don’t request 52X, the vehicle will have auto start/stop but just take longer?

This is interesting. I wonder how this will affect resale. I had planned to have auto start/stop turned off anyway, but I don’t know if I’m willing to have it removed altogether. Getting my truck faster does sound nice, though.
to this point, I wonder if the other components of auto stop/start are also deleted ie heavy duty battery, heavy duty starter etc? And then there’s the question of what is the impact on the CAFE numbers or are they hoping that the number of lightnings sold will offset the average enough to cover it
Sponsored

Cutarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
If you look at recent window stickers compared to early July builds. Under FUNCTIONAL at the top of the sticker the AUTO START/STOP line is missing.

My XLT has a blend date of Aug.11. I was quite happy to see the line missing.

As soon as I read about the 52X option I called my dealer. I knew I was way too late for that request. Pretty happy to see it could be deleted anyways as a late in the year build.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Just FYI I was not looking forward to the option on my Powerboost. I have driven several GM products with the option. It’s horrible. After driving my PB for about a month it’s amazing how well it works. There are times unless you focus on the Tach you have no idea when the gas engine is kicking in. I love the option.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Just FYI I was not looking forward to the option on my Powerboost. I have driven several GM products with the option. It’s horrible. After driving my PB for about a month it’s amazing how well it works. There are times unless you focus on the Tach you have no idea when the gas engine is kicking in. I love the option.
How the engine shutoff works on a hybrid is much different than the start/stop function on a traditional motor. With a hybrid you have an electric motor to start propelling the vehicle before the combustion engine kicks on. You get very satisfying initial acceleration from the high torque electric motor. Then the combustion engine is able to be quite smoothly blended in when needed (usually pretty quickly). With s/s on a non-hybrid the combustion engine must be started up quickly when you release the brake and start to apply throttle. This isnt the smoothest and can cause a slight delay in acceleration. I would imagine it only takes a few weeks to get used to but a lot of people seem to really hate it.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
How the engine shutoff works on a hybrid is much different than the start/stop function on a traditional motor. With a hybrid you have an electric motor to start propelling the vehicle before the combustion engine kicks on. You get very satisfying initial acceleration from the high torque electric motor. Then the combustion engine is able to be quite smoothly blended in when needed (usually pretty quickly). With s/s on a non-hybrid the combustion engine must be started up quickly when you release the brake and start to apply throttle. This isnt the smoothest and can cause a slight delay in acceleration. I would imagine it only takes a few weeks to get used to but a lot of people seem to really hate it.
I hated the stop/start on my 2019 Silverado. My routine was start truck, buckle seatbelt, disable start/stop, put gear in drive. Every time. And if I forgot it, it got turned off at the first red light after some colorful language. hah!

Ford F-150 News: Ford now offering Auto Start/Stop removal option on F-150s for customers to get their trucks sooner 1628532568826

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
In the future I doubt someone is going to be like "OMG no Auto start/stop? hard PASS". Seriously though, it's definitely one of the most undesirable forced upon features of the century. I don't think it will make that much of a impact in resale, but that's just me opining.
I would pay a not small sum of money to have this removed from my 2021Limited that I got in April. There is nothing I hate more than hearing and feeling the engine shut off and then waiting for it to come back on. It is downright dangerous in some situations. I HATE IT!! Screw the corrupt politicians whose mandates led to this moronic idea in the first place.

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
in my 2021 Limited 3.5 Hybrid the only time I get anything close to "very satisfying initial acceleration" is when I am in sport mode and floor it. All other modes take so long to accelerate(like a full second after depressing the accelerator) that my driving has to be altered to keep from having an accident. It is dangerous in anything other than sport mode which of course lowers gas mileage.

PS: I had a Tesla Model X from 2016-19 so my frame of reference will be different from those that have never experienced instantaneous torque. It altered my driving habits and now I am slowly having to relearn how not to expect to be able to go when the peddle is pressed. This can lead to dangerous situations if driving assertively.

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
Man, I wish I had the option to delete the auto stop/start when I bought my truck. First thing I did was install the auto stop eliminator behind the button, plugs directly to the switch and remembers the last setting. I guess I'm old school and can't get used to the engine turning off, just don't seem natural.

Sponsored

Bill_R

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-250 Lariat; 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Contracting Officer
Man, I wish I had the option to delete the auto stop/start when I bought my truck. First thing I did was install the auto stop eliminator behind the button, plugs directly to the switch and remembers the last setting. I guess I'm old school and can't get used to the engine turning off, just don't seem natural.
Awesome! I didn’t know there was such a thing. Here’s the link to those interested but this isn’t compatible with the PB.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator

Last edited:

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I question why the option of turning the Start/Stop off can not be in the Sync 4 system. Once turned off, would stay that way until turned back on. I am new to the format, but have read many of the discussions.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Awesome! I didn’t know there was such a thing.
Awesome! I didn’t know there was such a thing. Here’s the link to those interested but this isn’t compatible with the PB.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator
Nice thing about it is that it doesn’t interfere with the auto stop function, it just makes it so whatever you set it to is retained the next time you start the truck, which IMO is how it should be.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
So the option to remove instead of ad.... Seems a little backwards.

52x - remove start/stop
no 52x - still has start/stop

I'm one of the few people that don't want it removed from mine. lol. :cool:
Neither do I.
Sponsored