First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Screw 3.5EB max tow
Occupation
Tech
My buddy just picked up his 23 F150. About a week later the truck started running like crap. Misfiring and shaking badly. I followed him to the dealer who pulled some codes. What they found was a squirrel was chewing on his wire harness that’s coated in some sort of soy bean oil. Not one hundred percent on that description. The squirrel was electrocuted and found at the seen of the crime. Dealer warrantied it and fixed the harness.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
For decades now they've been using soy based wire coatings of a particular flavor rodents love. Curious what got the squirrel, there's no voltage high enough in there to do one in. Crazy to hear of it being a squirrel --- oh well, guess they're not called tree rats for nothing.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
well the insulation is made form soybean oil yes
but they were using capsaician (spelling) oil form peppers in the mix to prevent said events.
i guess the hot sauce was a DELETE due to covid as well
you can buy the stuff to spray on the wires that has the hot oil essence but i have not seen it in a while (covid ) most likely

it sucks, them critters can flat ruin a vehicle in a minute

mugwa

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 1999 F150, 1979 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer (Retired)
My 2021 XLT has suffered the faint in December 2022. Rodent chewed the injector harness (not warranty) witch according to the dealer shorted the PCM. The dealer has been installing PCMs for the last 3 months, with no resolution to a miss fire in cylinder 1 and 5. Dealer Service Writer claims all 4 PCMs have been failed to connect , program or were DOA. My truck truck has been at the Dealer for 6 month.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Three months into owning my last Volvo , I had a severe misfire when I started the car in the morning. Found mice had chewed thru two injector wires. Not fun at all. Fixed it myself as it was not a warranty issue. The little bastards.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I have heard a lot of similar stories to this

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
When I bought my tractor I was warned about this. I asked my Farmer neighbor about it and he said “YES, it’s a big problem!
Especially with a tractor that tends to sit unused for long periods of time.

He recommended a particular brand of Rat Bait that he used to protect his farm equipment. Unfortunately, they don’t sell this brand in California.

FORTUNATELY… I go to Nevada from time to time.

I’ve kept it in my tractor ever since and have had to replace it when the Rats gobble it up. Now I have it in my truck.

Worth noting… my Dog ate some once! We took him to the vet & showed the vet what he had eaten. The vet knew exactly what it was and said “don’t worry, it kills small animals, not big ones”

My Dog was fine. Never even got sick.

Ford F-150 New truck owners beware of squirrels / rodents chewing on wire harness RATS

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Screw 3.5EB max tow
Occupation
Tech
Wow! This was the first time I’ve heard of this. Years ago my neighbor’s cat got his leg caught in my fathers car fan belt. We had no idea it was sleeping on the warm engine.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Honda sells an electrical tape (expensive) that has some sort of ingredient that deters rodents. I came from a Tacoma and for one reason or another, the tree rats got into the engine bay all the time of those trucks, a new post at least every week it seemed like. Most of the time it resulted in an insurance claim, as Toyota dealers had an aversion to repairing/splicing a harness.

Sponsored

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
When I bought my tractor I was warned about this. I asked my Farmer neighbor about it and he said “YES, it’s a big problem!
Especially with a tractor that tends to sit unused for long periods of time.

He recommended a particular brand of Rat Bait that he used to protect his farm equipment. Unfortunately, they don’t sell this brand in California.

FORTUNATELY… I go to Nevada from time to time.

I’ve kept it in my tractor ever since and have had to replace it when the Rats gobble it up. Now I have it in my truck.

Worth noting… my Dog ate some once! We took him to the vet & showed the vet what he had eaten. The vet knew exactly what it was and said “don’t worry, it kills small animals, not big ones”

My Dog was fine. Never even got sick.

RATS.jpg
RAT BAIT is completely ineffective on squirrels!
SQUIRRELS and CATS are completely immune to rat bait.

I have my own way of dealing with the squirrels....
the sound of the trap slamming shut NEVER gets old!

https://ring.com/share/6071d0ce-cf06-430d-be9d-fdd363645ada

https://ring.com/share/11133ec4-0001-4274-8d31-ef06fe0c0950

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Squirrels can mess up more than wiring. I installed a cold air intake on my 2008 Tundra. Critters climbed through the fender opening and pushed the filter to the side to build a nest. Started it up and idled fine. Drove thru the neighborhood with no issues. As soon as I tried to jump on the highway the larger opening of the throttle butterfly allowed corn to fall... jamming the butterfly open. Yee Haw!

Fortunately the PCM threw a code and killed power pretty quickly. Almost called a tow truck and sent to the dealer since it was under warranty... but decided to take a quick look. This is what I saw:

Ford F-150 New truck owners beware of squirrels / rodents chewing on wire harness 1684941194113

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Tabasco sauce. Just a pain to keep reapplying. I tried some Repels All from Walmart, but judging by the rabbits and dogs that still come around, I don't think it does shit. Ended up sprinkling some mouse and rat poison around.

Never had an issue before, but my place backs up to a field so I do occasionally see rodents around.
Sponsored