First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
Yeah, Payload DOES NOT include a driver and/or passenger, only tow rating includes a 150lb passenger.

You are so far over weight and more importantly length, you are going to be miserable. A friend of mine has an Imagine 30 foot and he has had a hell of a time getting it to tow comfortably, and he says it is white knuckle if a semi passes or there is any side wind.

You are going to be way over payload too, like hilariously over. 1400lb payload is without driver or passenger, so if you each weigh 150, you are already down to 1100 for payload. Add the tongue weight and the hitch itself, and you are out of payload, and that is with a dry trailer and no luggage.

Plus 34 feet of trailer on a light duty truck, you are very likely to encounter a tail wagging the dog situation.

TTs are long boxes of aerodynamic disaster. You absolutely can't compare it to tow rating. You can easily tow 12k lbs of flat trailer with building supplies, but that is very different than even 8000lbs of a giant box.

I really hope you reconsider this, it is way too much trailer. Both friends of mine with slightly shorter TTs (the Imagine I mentioned and another with a Jayco 30 foot) have said it is just too sketchy. The Jayco owner already moved to an HD truck and he said it was the best thing he could have done. The Imagine owner is going to move after he gets some time out of his current '21 Limited.
Actually Payload DOES include all passengers AND cargo. this is a snip from the F150 Owners manual.
Ford F-150 New travel trailer PAYLOAD.JPG

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Actually Payload DOES include all passengers AND cargo. this is a snip from the F150 Owners manual.
PAYLOAD.JPG

It does not include them in the payload sticker on your door. What they are saying is to subtract all people and cargo from the sticker on your door.

The OP is WAY overweight, no 34' RV should be pulled by a 1/2 ton. One factor is the weight as the hitch weight will no doubt be over 1K and the other is the fact that there is a 34' billboard behind the truck going down the road.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
PAYLOAD.JPG
What? Yeah obviously determining your impact on payload includes passengers and cargo, which is what the manual is saying. I was clearly responding to the OP saying that 300lbs for a driver and passenger is included in the payload number on the door, i.e., if your sticker says 1436, actual payload is 1736 but they assume a driver and passenger. That is not true. Payload sticker is maximum available payload with nobody and nothing in the truck assumed.

Tow rating assumes 150lb passenger IIRC, because when towing you always assume a driver is there. But payload is determined by capability of the wheels/tires/axle/suspension, so even with nobody in the truck and it sitting in a driveway, you can still be over payload. For an example of this, try dropping 5000lbs into the bed while it is parked and nobody inside. The spectacular failure that follows will show a sever over payload condition. You can hook the moon up to an F-150 and as long as nobody tries to drive it you aren't technically over tow rating yet. :p

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
It does not include them in the payload sticker on your door. What they are saying is to subtract all people and cargo from the sticker on your door.

The OP is WAY overweight, no 34' RV should be pulled by a 1/2 ton. One factor is the weight as the hitch weight will no doubt be over 1K and the other is the fact that there is a 34' billboard behind the truck going down the road.
Yep, thank you for clarifying it.

Sponsored

mdj

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR, 57 T-Bird, 66 Mustang, 05 Navigator
Yes, lane assist (on Fords at least) will induce trailer sway by over correcting and creating oscillation.

My original TV was an ‘02 F250. This particular TT swayed with the 3/4 ton before I got the Pro Pride. Now I use a Powerboost and can run 70MPH one handed.
I totally agree with Don that the right hitch and setup is required and will greatly improve the stability of the rig. I pull a Cougar 29BHS (34' ball to bumper) at 7900# loaded and just over 1000# tongue weight including the Husky Centerline WDH (116#). My KR, 4x4, EB, Max Tow has a payload of 1536# and it pulls like a dream.
Ford F-150 New travel trailer F150 and Trailer

mdj

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR, 57 T-Bird, 66 Mustang, 05 Navigator
What? Yeah obviously determining your impact on payload includes passengers and cargo, which is what the manual is saying. I was clearly responding to the OP saying that 300lbs for a driver and passenger is included in the payload number on the door, i.e., if your sticker says 1436, actual payload is 1736 but they assume a driver and passenger. That is not true. Payload sticker is maximum available payload with nobody and nothing in the truck assumed.

Tow rating assumes 150lb passenger IIRC, because when towing you always assume a driver is there. But payload is determined by capability of the wheels/tires/axle/suspension, so even with nobody in the truck and it sitting in a driveway, you can still be over payload. For an example of this, try dropping 5000lbs into the bed while it is parked and nobody inside. The spectacular failure that follows will show a sever over payload condition. You can hook the moon up to an F-150 and as long as nobody tries to drive it you aren't technically over tow rating yet. :p
I would add that the Payload sticker DOES include a full tank of gas.
Sponsored