New to towing and have a 2023 XL

CoryB

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL
As said in the title, I just got a 2023 XL and I want to be able to tow a dual axle trailer with 2 ATVs on it.

The window sticker says I have Trailer Sway Control, and have the optional Class IV Trailer Hitch. What else do I need? Do I need a brake controller (I’m guessing so since there are dual axles.)

If I need the controller, is that something I can add and activate with Forscan?

Thanks for any help from this trailer noob.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Trailer brake controller can be added and enabled.
Which trailer connector(s) do you have?

OP
OP

CoryB

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL
I believe it's the 4/7 connector.

Yep. Just checked.

Ford F-150 New to towing and have a 2023 XL Trailer connector

Last edited:

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Some smaller trailers may not have electric brakes, need to figure that out first. The controller is a simple plug and play, easy to install

OP
OP

CoryB

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XL
Thanks. The trailer I'm looking at says it has brakes.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Have you calculated total weight of Trailer with ATV's?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Do you have a TBC (shown in pic)? If not you can tow up to the mass of the tow vehicle itself w/ out issue (anything 5klbs and under is a non-issue for an F150). Heavier trims like the powerboost and diesel are good up to 7klbs w/out TBC, but I personally prefer vehicle mass as the limit. A vehicle trailer w/ 2 4 wheelers on it is in the 3klb range -- too easy.

You can buy and add the TBC -- You already have a 7 pin so you're likely fully wired for it (verify to be sure). If so it's an easy ~$200 spend if you can find a used one.

Ford F-150 New to towing and have a 2023 XL 1684038544843

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
As said in the title, I just got a 2023 XL and I want to be able to tow a dual axle trailer with 2 ATVs on it.

The window sticker says I have Trailer Sway Control, and have the optional Class IV Trailer Hitch. What else do I need? Do I need a brake controller (I’m guessing so since there are dual axles.)

If I need the controller, is that something I can add and activate with Forscan?

Thanks for any help from this trailer noob.
First of all… Congratulations on buying the XL!

As someone with a fully loaded XLT, I can tell you that while you might be missing out on some cool options.. you BY FAR have gotten way more “bang for your buck” than I.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my XLT and I’m having lots of fun with all the cool toys but the fact is, where the rubber meets the road (or the dirt), YOU are hands down thousands of dollars ahead of me in “watch what this thing can do!”

That said… I don’t know how important “trailer brakes” are going to be hauling a couple ATVs. I’d give it a try, take it easy at first and see how it handles.

I think you might be impressed with what you have.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I towed a dual axle trailer with ATV's with a Tacoma, no electric brakes. While some may say that's nuts, it was never an issue. Your truck will be fine without the brakes, but it certainly doesn't hurt to add that capability.
There are numerous threads in this forum covering your questions. It takes a little patience searching for them, but there are probably several threads in here that cover every question youve asked.
Congrats on the new truck, good luck with it!

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I towed a dual axle trailer with ATV's with a Tacoma, no electric brakes. While some may say that's nuts, it was never an issue. Your truck will be fine without the brakes, but it certainly doesn't hurt to add that capability.
There are numerous threads in this forum covering your questions. It takes a little patience searching for them, but there are probably several threads in here that cover every question youve asked.
Congrats on the new truck, good luck with it!
In some states there's laws with trailers being over a certian weight need trailer brakes. So if someone cuts you off and you hit them, you wouldn't be at fault with the proper setup. People do many things that they shouldn't...

Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Union Carpenter
In some states there's laws with trailers being over a certian weight need trailer brakes. So if someone cuts you off and you hit them, you wouldn't be at fault with the proper setup. People do many things that they shouldn't...
I never suggested that the OP ignore any laws.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Thanks. The trailer I'm looking at says it has brakes.
Important to review stats further, is it ELECTRIC brakes or is it hydraulic/surge brakes. Many (most?) trailers under 5000lb total would have surge and you don't need (and would NOT get any use from) a TBC.

ChemGuy

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport 5.0
Occupation
Reactor Operator
Warning: long post.

A little input from my experience trying to get the trailer brake controller installed in my 2021 XLT 302a High...

I tow a 16x7 tandem (elec brakes on both axles) with a 2020 RZR XP1000 Premium by itself most of the time, once in a while a buddy will tag along and we throw an ATV on there also. While the brakes on the truck alone don't struggle to stop the load, the trailer has brakes and I would like to use them (duh) because my fiance and I make several trips a year to ride and the less abuse the truck brakes take, the better.

When I bought my truck in September of last year it was not equipped with the integrated controller but did have the tow package etc. I added that at the time of purchase, paid for the parts necessary and the install upfront. I was made aware the parts were on a backorder and would take ~2 months to get. Fast forward to January, after asking for a status/ETA on the order multiple times with little to no info (mostly dealers fault?) it finally showed up towards the end of January and my install was scheduled. I show up on the day of install and they say it may take a few hours. No big deal. After sitting there for ~5 hours, the service manager comes out to tell me they have been unable to get the programming to take. The part is installed but when they try to activate it it's bringing up some sort of error/fault and the controller is not working.

At this point I'm a little annoyed but trying to be understanding, they say "we have a few more things we can try." I told them I was willing to wait and returned to the waiting room. About another 1.5hrs go by and the service manager returns, they still can not get the controller working. They've tried "everything they can think of" (not telling me what that consists of). They then ask me to keep the truck and keep tinkering with it, at this point I'm visibly annoyed by the lack of info I've been given (even after asking for details they really didn't have a clue) on top of the ridiculous time spent waiting for the controller and (failed) install I said it didn't seem like it would matter how long they kept it if they kept getting the same fault and left with my truck.

Their only "solution" to this is to order (that day) a whole new controller and "harness" and replace the whole thing according to service manager. Wouldn't you know it, still on backorder. Fast forward to the beginning of April, the dealer reaches out to me and says they still haven't received parts and not sure when they will. They suggest that they refund the cost of parts/install and I go the route of an aftermarket brake controller. Needless to say, if I wanted an aftermarket controller screwed into my dash I would've done that myself from the beginning. I told them that and that I wanted the integrated controller and that this has been an extremely frustrating experience.

The manager puts in what he called an "emergency order" for the parts needed. 3 days later he calls and says they are on backorder until the end of June at the earliest. So here I am still waiting and very annoyed by this process. Hopefully you have better luck if you decide you want it.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Important to review stats further, is it ELECTRIC brakes or is it hydraulic/surge brakes. Many (most?) trailers under 5000lb total would have surge and you don't need (and would NOT get any use from) a TBC.
While it is important to find out what brakes the trailer has, even my little pop-up at 3500# has electric brakes.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Union Carpenter
While it is important to find out what brakes the trailer has, even my little pop-up at 3500# has electric brakes.
Is your pop up a high wall? I almost bought 1 of those 5 years ago
Sponsored