Sponsored

New Recon Grapplers 295/60/20 does not work with Powerboost

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
For those that have noticed a change with the new tires, have you tried recalibrating the tire size via forscan? Others have said that this may be needed to keep the computer happy after increasing tire size.

Also, does changing to eco mode make a difference in keeping it in electric mode? Perhaps the different throttle mapping might make it easier in Eco?
Sponsored

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
When you buy a 295 tire you have to expect some type of noise, some brand of tires are louder than others.

There are alot of other factors also for MPG.
Depending on your location, Winter gasoline is used and that may drop a little mpg.
The powerboost is electric so cold weather is not the most efficient for the electric motor.
Yes these are all good points. Ultimately, having a 10 ply LT rated tire that's 295/60r20 is going to be beefy.

xcntrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
For those that have noticed a change with the new tires, have you tried recalibrating the tire size via forscan? Others have said that this may be needed to keep the computer happy after increasing tire size.

Also, does changing to eco mode make a difference in keeping it in electric mode? Perhaps the different throttle mapping might make it easier in Eco?
This was my first thought as well. The speedo and fuel calculations are going to be totally off due to the larger tire size and perhaps that's fooling the computer to engage the full hybrid drive sooner that expected.

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
Having installed a 2” level and put these exact tires on today, I can confirm that this thread title is erroneous. Getting Speedo calibrated Friday, but driving home I experienced little to no difference in my powerboost electric driving functionality.

Wot-75

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Outside Sales Rep
Last edited:

Sponsored

vinhdiesel

First Name
vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum
What setting did you use?
to me base on my set up since i have a deck system loaded up with tools

eco for most stock feel and save gas
when i want instant throttle response i like city 2+

Wot-75

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Outside Sales Rep
to me base on my set up since i have a deck system loaded up with tools

eco for most stock feel and save gas
when i want instant throttle response i like city 2+
Thank you.. I just ordered mine lol

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
Yes these are all good points. Ultimately, having a 10 ply LT rated tire that's 295/60r20 is going to be beefy.
well actually some highway treads make more noise than AT treads. Just depends on the engineering put into the treads. MY Ridge Grapplers on my Jeep were super quiet. And to the other fellow size has nothing to do with a tires road noise.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Having installed a 2” level and put these exact tires on today, I can confirm that this thread title is erroneous. Getting Speedo calibrated Friday, but driving home I experienced little to no difference in my powerboost electric driving functionality.
well man it's mine and it's not. I can actually tell what's going on with my truck. Maybe you never really knew what yours was doing pre and post your tire change. So maybe your reply is erroneous.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
This was my first thought as well. The speedo and fuel calculations are going to be totally off due to the larger tire size and perhaps that's fooling the computer to engage the full hybrid drive sooner that expected.
this makes sense but not sure if Forscan also will recalculate for tires that are 20# heavier per tire.

Sponsored

chill_will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum 4x4
Occupation
Engineer
well man it's mine and it's not. I can actually tell what's going on with my truck. Maybe you never really knew what yours was doing pre and post your tire change. So maybe your reply is erroneous.
Hmmm maybe caveat your thread with “Due to my personal driving habits and experience, larger tires do not work with my powerboost.” Claiming a specific tire and size does not work with powerboosts across the board is ridiculous. I absolutely understand how a hybrid works and perfectly understand how my truck worked pre and post new setup. Thanks for the chuckle today ?

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I put 285/65/R20 KO2s on my truck, and now it won’t come out of electric mode. The engine hasn’t turned on for the last couple thousand km. Just kidding - my mileage is crap now and I get far fewer electric miles. I’m just waiting for a new OBD adapter to correct the tire diameter and reset the transmission learning.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
I put 285/65/R20 KO2s on my truck, and now it won’t come out of electric mode. The engine hasn’t turned on for the last couple thousand km. Just kidding - my mileage is crap now and I get far fewer electric miles. I’m just waiting for a new OBD adapter to correct the tire diameter and reset the transmission learning.
well let's see how it works, not sure if the reprogram will work with heavier tires.
Sponsored