First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
Installed Nitto Recon Grapplers today on my 20" alloy wheels, 295/60/20 and a Ready Lift 2" level. Very disappointed. Why? Because now my electric won't kick in at all, mileage dropped a solid 1 mpg and there is some noise, probably because the truck is so damn quiet. It's a low level whine, not super bad, but there. Again with the electric being kicked out, why have a Powerboost, so I unfortunately am going back to lighter 33" tire, either a Michelin, or hell I may even put the crap Hankooks back. The level should at least take out that excessive rake on the Max Tow Powerboost. I am bummed, the truck looks good, I assume it's not that the new tires are appx .9" larger in diameter, but it's the extra 20# in weight per tire. Crazy. Hate losing money, but I am not happy, so.....
Sponsored

DRVN1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Installed Nitto Recon Grapplers today on my 20" alloy wheels, 295/60/20 and a Ready Lift 2" level. Very disappointed. Why? Because now my electric won't kick in at all, mileage dropped a solid 1 mpg and there is some noise, probably because the truck is so damn quiet. It's a low level whine, not super bad, but there. Again with the electric being kicked out, why have a Powerboost, so I unfortunately am going back to lighter 33" tire, either a Michelin, or hell I may even put the crap Hankooks back. The level should at least take out that excessive rake on the Max Tow Powerboost. I am bummed, the truck looks good, I assume it's not that the new tires are appx .9" larger in diameter, but it's the extra 20# in weight per tire. Crazy. Hate losing money, but I am not happy, so.....
Ok so you saying the heavier tires don't let the truck run in all electric? I have not heard of any issues with putting bigger tires on powerboost before. Just asking because my powerboost is being built next month and I already plan on putting 4" lift with 35" tires.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I can barely keep the electric on on mine as stock.. it will work well for coasting after driving a bit, but otherwise is usually pretty challenging to keep in the electric.

You might find that the transmission needs some time to adapt; have you tried using manual shifting to see if it will let you keep the gearing more favorable?

Qgreene

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT PowerBoost
Have had 295/60/20 Recon Grapplers on a 2.5" level for just over a month now and still able to use the electric drive. I will admit it doesn't stay there as long as stock but still engages just fine. I expected that and a small reduction in mpg with the new stance and tire weight. Maybe some other factors you may have adjusted that could be affecting your situation in addition to the tires?

sswalters

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I don't have the PB, but have the exact same ReadyLift 2" and Recon 295/60/20s. Truck looks amazing. I too hear the low level whine, and am kind of glad to have it confirmed. Still quiet, but I was totally spoiled with the absolute silence of the stock Pirelli's for the two days I had them.

Sponsored

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Good to know since I just switched from a 3.5 502A to a 302A PB. The private offer on in stock or inbound trucks made my lease payment about $80 less. I’m going 275/65/20 or 285/60/20. I like the Falkens but they’re on the heavy side.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Ok so you saying the heavier tires don't let the truck run in all electric? I have not heard of any issues with putting bigger tires on powerboost before. Just asking because my powerboost is being built next month and I already plan on putting 4" lift with 35" tires.
Yes that's what I said, I wouldn't recommend it. Apparently the Powerboost was designed around the 32.8", 41# Hankook type highway tires. Which is fine if we had a straight gas/diesel engine, but the Powerboost is finicky. Love the truck, so nothing to do with the truck.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
I don't have the PB, but have the exact same ReadyLift 2" and Recon 295/60/20s. Truck looks amazing. I too hear the low level whine, and am kind of glad to have it confirmed. Still quiet, but I was totally spoiled with the absolute silence of the stock Pirelli's for the two days I had them.
Unfortunately I putting the Hankooks back on or another quiet tread 33" tire in the 40# range to keep the dynamics of the electric system intact.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Have had 295/60/20 Recon Grapplers on a 2.5" level for just over a month now and still able to use the electric drive. I will admit it doesn't stay there as long as stock but still engages just fine. I expected that and a small reduction in mpg with the new stance and tire weight. Maybe some other factors you may have adjusted that could be affecting your situation in addition to the tires?
No don't think so, and honestly I didn't think a 20# heavier tire would really matter, and an inch more in diameter, but it sure DOES. It's fine I will just forget the great look because I would rather have a super quiet truck (quietest interior I have had yet) and keep the electric performance intact. I would not recommend Powerboost to anyone wanting to build an offroad truck even though the 3.5 is a beast over any other model even Raptors.

Sponsored

vinhdiesel

First Name
vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum
does the pedal commander have a setting to retain stock input?

There are so many settings in every mode that you can play with to create a setting that feels most stock to you.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Terra Grappler G2 P series would save you a decent amount of weight in either 295/60/20 or 275/65/20. Do you need a LT tire?

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
Just found this thread - I am having the same issue.

Picked up a powerboost lariat and had the dealer put on a set of Fuel Rims and Toyo AT3 295/60r20's. Gas mileage on long highway trips has gone from around 21 mpg to about 15 mpg.

I'm being told that the dealer may have missed programming the transmission/powertrain control modules, resulting in slightly worse efficiency, but that is an unreal change in fuel economy.

Over the lifespan of the tires, it would cost nearly 4000$ more in fuel (given Canadian fuel pricing).

Agreed also on the noise, it is much noisier in the cabin now and the electric motor doesnt kick in like it used to...

vinhdiesel

First Name
vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum
Just found this thread - I am having the same issue.

Picked up a powerboost lariat and had the dealer put on a set of Fuel Rims and Toyo AT3 295/60r20's. Gas mileage on long highway trips has gone from around 21 mpg to about 15 mpg.

I'm being told that the dealer may have missed programming the transmission/powertrain control modules, resulting in slightly worse efficiency, but that is an unreal change in fuel economy.

Over the lifespan of the tires, it would cost nearly 4000$ more in fuel (given Canadian fuel pricing).

Agreed also on the noise, it is much noisier in the cabin now and the electric motor doesnt kick in like it used to...

When you buy a 295 tire you have to expect some type of noise, some brand of tires are louder than others.

There are alot of other factors also for MPG.
Depending on your location, Winter gasoline is used and that may drop a little mpg.
The powerboost is electric so cold weather is not the most efficient for the electric motor.
Sponsored