New Platinum Has Arrived; Brief Review

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
I started to look for a new truck to replace my 2013 platinum 4x4 EB around the end of last year. I was tempted by a 3/4 ton as I do do some towing. Ultimately decided another 1/2 ton was the ticket as most of my driving is around town and I do <4000 miles each year towing. I live in Dallas and, surprisingly, none of my local dealers were willing to deal much at all, but Granger Ford in Iowa sure was! I initially dealt with Albert and finished the experience with Chip Giles who has taken over their F-150 program. It was a very stress free experience and I feel like I got a good deal. $71.5k MSRP, $64.4k before factory discounts. Paid $62.9k + ttl after factory discounts. I ordered the truck 1/13, it was built 3/6 and delivered to Granger 3/23.

The truck is Carbonized Grey with the Carmelo interior. Options include 4x4, 3.5 Ecoboost, 701a, max tow, sunroof, interior work surface and the factory spray in bed liner. Payload sticker reads 1545 for those interested.

I flew into Des Moines from Dallas. Spent the night in Clive (can't recommend the La Quinta there) and Chip picked me up at 8:45. Paperwork was completed by 10 and I was on the road for a 700 mile trip back to Dallas. I stopped twice for food and a bit of fuel and made it home by 9:30 pm. Long day, but gave me a chance to get to know the truck.

I averaged 20.4 MPG on that trip (per the truck computer), which is about what I expected and a noticeable improvement from my 2013 which was leveled with bigger BFG Ko2s. Adaptive cruise control is something I was really excited for and it was really nice. Lane centering is also a cool feature, but I did get prompted quite a bit to keep my hands on the wheel. The 2021 is a big step up in overall refinement and comfort from my 2013. The ride is very compliant and they must have used more sound insulation as I felt very isolated from the road. I used the massage seats quite a bit and it kept my lower back from getting too stiff after about 10.5 hours in the truck. Carplay integration was easy and made calls and entertainment a breeze! 360 camera makes parking very easy (GF is particularly thankful for this addition). I was on the fence regarding the sunroof but really appreciate the extra light it brings into the cabin.

No real negatives, but I do have some observations. I left my phone on the wireless charging pad almost the whole time. The charging was slow and the phone got pretty hot after 4 hours or so on the pad. Only other minor complaint is that the side mirrors are noticeably smaller, to me at least. I opted out of the tow mirrors because I don't think they look as good, personally, but hindsight being 20/20 I would probably opt for the tow mirrors for improved visibility (especially when I hook up my trailer).

I don't have any real modifications planned for the truck. I did install a Bak Revolver X4s rolling aluminum bed cover yesterday and overall I am pretty happy with it. It looks fantastic but I did notice that one of the plastic end plates on the far edge of the rear of the cover is already cracked. Not sure if I did that during installation or it was shipped that way. Bak is sending me a replacement part for that. Dropping the truck off for tint later this afternoon on the front two windows. The stock tires don't look great, but my leveled 2013 with bigger BFG tires got pretty bad fuel economy so I am reluctant to do something like that again, despite all the members who's trucks look amazing with the level and beefier tires.

Here are some crappy pictures of the truck. I am planning to get it detailed and ceramic coated in a few weeks. There were taken right after it was delivered and it is pretty dirty in the pictures. After that I will post up some better pictures.

Ford F-150 New Platinum Has Arrived; Brief Review F150 3.JPG
Ford F-150 New Platinum Has Arrived; Brief Review F150 2.JPG
Ford F-150 New Platinum Has Arrived; Brief Review F150 1.JPG
Sponsored

mason1646

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Limited
Very nice truck. I am from DFW and currently live in Des Moines and we have a Bronco on order with Granger. Great dealership!

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
Congrats! I'm outside of Pittsburgh and ordered mine from Ganger 02/10/2021. So I'm about three weeks behind you but looking forward to walking in your foot steps. Did the La Quinta in Clive meet your expectations and how did you get there? Uber, taxi van. Thanks for your thread. Very informative.

OP
OP
lcrain

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
Congrats! I'm outside of Pittsburgh and ordered mine from Ganger 02/10/2021. So I'm about three weeks behind you but looking forward to walking in your foot steps. Did the La Quinta in Clive meet your expectations and how did you get there? Uber, taxi van. Thanks for your thread. Very informative.
Granger was amazing, you are in good hands. The LaQuinta was undergoing renovations, so overall just kind of a mess haha. I would avoid if possible. It was cheap and the sheets were clean which is all I needed. But you have at least two other options right there in Clive.

I took a cab from the airport. Tried to uber but not many available.

Good luck!

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Great review, thanks. Wish now that I had gone with Granger. Their volume of orders must give them a higher allocation as your order to delivery was great.

Sponsored

travekinman

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2010 BMW 325i wagon, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
Granger was amazing, you are in good hands. The LaQuinta was undergoing renovations, so overall just kind of a mess haha. I would avoid if possible. It was cheap and the sheets were clean which is all I needed. But you have at least two other options right there in Clive.

I took a cab from the airport. Tried to uber but not many available.

Good luck!
Thanks, I suspected Taxi was the better option. I’ll have a look at the other hotels as well. Good information. Lol. Based on the threads within this Forum And the interest of purchasing through Granger I wouldn’t be surprised if I find a well worn path right to Grangers front door step.

Antoinetruck

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda-Acura-Ford
Thanks, I suspected Taxi was the better option. I’ll have a look at the other hotels as well. Good information. Lol. Based on the threads within this Forum And the interest of purchasing through Granger I wouldn’t be surprised if I find a well worn path right to Grangers front door step.
Took possession of my Platty yesterday. I give all my vehicles a name, I call him Fridge.
Ford F-150 New Platinum Has Arrived; Brief Review F150

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
If you are flying into Des Moines, to get your truck from Granger Motors, stay in the Jordan Creek area. That is a few miles south of the hotel referenced earlier in the thread. They have a new Holiday Inn Express, and numerous other hotels much better and at a decent rate.

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
Sharp looking truck, congrats! Also, can’t get over the purchase versus delivery date being so short. Most wait 6+ months. Granger definitely sounds like the way to go for my future purchase!
Sponsored