New Order POwerboost expected payload

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
Planning to order new SCREW, 4x4, 7.2kw, XLT, 6.5’ bed, but I will be towing a yet to be purchased travel trailer. The payload discussion has me very concerned and I cannot find any summary of option package weights or what to expect, besides something around 1500 pounds or less. Very angry at Ford for removing HDPP from XLT. Makes no damn sense, since many who buy POwerboost with 7.2kw will likely tow. Target wet trailer weight is around 8K.

options I would like:
302A
Bed Utility package (getting old and need easy access to bed)
Max Tow
360 camera

anyone have a similarly optioned truck that can provide Payload, if something is missing or extra on your truck please let me know.

I do not want the XL. My wife wants the heated seats, exterior key pad and other features that are not available on XL.
Thanks.
Sponsored

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I have a PB lariat with the sunroof, bed utility, all the heavy stuff + 6.5 bed on order and my payload estimate was just shy of 1600 I believe. 1575 maybe but I’ll check when I can find the link to check it again.

maybe if that helps give you an idea for now

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Planning to order new SCREW, 4x4, 7.2kw, XLT, 6.5’ bed, but I will be towing a yet to be purchased travel trailer. The payload discussion has me very concerned and I cannot find any summary of option package weights or what to expect, besides something around 1500 pounds or less. Very angry at Ford for removing HDPP from XLT. Makes no damn sense, since many who buy POwerboost with 7.2kw will likely tow. Target wet trailer weight is around 8K.

options I would like:
302A
Max Tow
360 camera

anyone have a similarly optioned truck that can provide Payload, if something is missing or extra on your truck please let me know.

I do not want the XL. My wife wants the heated seats, exterior key pad and other features that are not available on XL.
Thanks.
Maybe it's a US / Canada thing. But, you can't order a HDPP with 7.2 kw PowerBoost here.
Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload Screenshot 2022-09-20 135040

Here's the window sticker for my Max Tow 302a super crew w/ 6.5" box. Payload is 1,777 lbs.
No PowerBoost though.

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload Screenshot 2022-09-20 135445

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
You may want to check this pdf out. Options weight are included in it. This is for a 2021.

I have about 1323 Payload with my PB Platinum 7.2kw. So, all those options do take away from the Payload capacity.

Attachments

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

options I would like:
302A
Max Tow
360 camera

Thanks.

The reason for no HDPP with the PB is they need room for the hybrid battery cell. That's why it's only available in the 3.5 Eco and 5.0. You can still get the 2.4KW inverter with those, but have to sacrifice the extra capacity and fuel tank if you want the PB with the 7.2Kw inverter. You still can easily tow 12,000 + pounds with the PB when stock. Probably more if you run the Livernois tune that adds a crap ton of power.

I pulled a trailer with a T550 Bobcat Skid-Steer last weekend to my father-inlaws ranch with my PB spec is similar to yours but with a 5.5' bed and it handled it like a champ. Mileage was not the best with roughly an extra 10K pounds behind me it did an amazing job.

This link is Ford's towing info on the 22's

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ions/3_2/2022_Ford_F150_Towing_Info_Oct20.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The problem is that for 2023 you can only get the HDPP with the XL, not XLT. I have confirmed via the order guide regardless of engine. I believe you can get with the XL PB.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
If it's any consolation, you wouldn't have gotten the PB with the HDPP package anyway in 22.
Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1663721419493

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

options I would like:
302A
Max Tow
360 camera

Thanks.
You will be at 1500lbs payload give or take (my well optioned short-bed XLT w/out sun roof is 1482# payload), removing rear seats gives you another 100#. The reason the HDPP isn't available is that it only adds marginally larger rotors on the rear. An amount that's insignificant (increases rear brake pad contact area by 4.6%), parking brake force remains the same. It also has slightly stiffer springs; I'm using airbags as I've got a leveling kit and any squat that'd dazzle other drivers is unacceptable.

Also, despite the unusual 7350# GVWR of the F150 PB, the rear axle GAWR is 4150lbs and the front is 3900lbs giving a combined axle rating in excess of 8klb. With rear sway bar added and some airbags, I have no qualms at carrying 500lbs over the GVWR while staying below the axle ratings. 90% of the hybrid's additional mass is located at 24" from the ground and is primarily composed of the motor generator unit (225lb) and the battery (I believe it's ~160lbs, now missing from ford's parts catalog that lists weight). The bed's height starts at 36" and even staying within the bed the average CG for the load would be ~42" which would raise the CG of the truck.

Also -- the 12" screen is great compared to the XL's. TFL truck's Andre got the XL PB and has said he regretted not getting a well optioned higher trim.

Last edited:

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Estimating payload is not an exact science, though more options= less payload.
The PDF Cobraman428 provided is very helpful.
I reviewed inventories of dozens of dealers and called multiple salespeople. Asking nicely, they provided the yellow sticker payload and I had the window sticker from the dealer website.
This website makes it even easier
https://fordfleetlive.com/#/vincalculatordemo

Suggestion-
1) use the Ford site and build the truck you want;
2) search inventories (I picked large cities and 100mi radius);
3) find close matches to your dream truck and copy the VIN from the Ford search;
4) Paste the VIN into the vincalculatordemo to see the real payload

After running down multiple samples, you will get a pretty good feel for your dream truck's estimated payload.
I am waiting on a KR standard, 2WD, PB, max tow, 7.2kw, 360 Assist and camera with an estimated payload in the ballpark of 1800#. I found a similar truck with trailer tow and 18" wheels with an 1870# payload. 20" wheels/tires (standard for 2023 KR) cost somewhere around 30#.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you all for the replies. I now have to convince my wife that we can’t have a trailer that is too big. Her comment on payload was, “blah, blah no one pays attention to that anyway. You are being too much of an engineer.” Of course, I know differently (I am more worried about the liability) and she hates the ride of the F-250. I used our neighbors’ a few times to trailer our horses and she hated it.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
Estimating payload is not an exact science, though more options= less payload.
The PDF Cobraman428 provided is very helpful.
I reviewed inventories of dozens of dealers and called multiple salespeople. Asking nicely, they provided the yellow sticker payload and I had the window sticker from the dealer website.
This website makes it even easier
https://fordfleetlive.com/#/vincalculatordemo

Suggestion-
1) use the Ford site and build the truck you want;
2) search inventories (I picked large cities and 100mi radius);
3) find close matches to your dream truck and copy the VIN from the Ford search;
4) Paste the VIN into the vincalculatordemo to see the real payload

After running down multiple samples, you will get a pretty good feel for your dream truck's estimated payload.
I am waiting on a KR standard, 2WD, PB, max tow, 7.2kw, 360 Assist and camera with an estimated payload in the ballpark of 1800#. I found a similar truck with trailer tow and 18" wheels with an 1870# payload. 20" wheels/tires (standard for 2023 KR) cost somewhere around 30#.
That tool is way cooler than the one I linked.

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I appreciate all of the insight and links to the calculators. Wife really likes the PB for hooking up the TT and provide electric service when none is available. I wasn’t really worried about payload until she said you have to buy the PB. The ~300 lbs capacity you lose makes all the difference.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think it's closer to a 250lb hit?
Nobody knows exactly where Ford came up with the +300lbs of GVW increase which accommodates much of the Hybrid component's weight, but it shows Ford (and all others) can easily increase Payload at their whelm. It's a crazy game they all play and adhere to for reasons.

For me personally the Powerboost Payload is pretty much the same as the non-Powerboost since I no longer carry the Yamaha 3000 inverter and a 5 gallon can of fuel. What a wonderful gift to no longer heave that 180lb lump into the bed of the truck! Or deal with it sticking up above the tonneau cover. Or...... Well, you get the idea. :)

Long live the mighty Powerboost!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Agreed. I'm looking forward to not having to lug the small generator and gas cans when we go camping now.

I appreciate all of the insight and links to the calculators. Wife really likes the PB for hooking up the TT and provide electric service when none is available. I wasn’t really worried about payload until she said you have to buy the PB. The ~300 lbs capacity you lose makes all the difference.
Like @Snakebitten said, the slight loss in payload is made up with not having to load up noisy generators and fuel etc. So the loss in payload for the PB with the 7.2kw inverter is really a wash on that. (y)
Sponsored