First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
24 lbs is 1.5% of a 1500 lb payload. One of the biggest number of threads and chatter about a single available option is whether to go or not go for max tow vs trailer tow. And the biggest argument about not going with max tow is that there is a reduction in payload. It is only 1.5% overall. That is miniscule when the safety factor in the stickers is well beyond than 1.5%. The argument should be more about the $ cost than the weight hit in my opinion.
The PB gets almost everything that comes with the max tow as standard. Now we have to worry about axel bolt issues with the max tow. I think trailer tow package is the sweet spot for PB.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
Can someone confirm with the standard Trailer Tow Package (53A) that on the PB, you get electric trailer brake controller, oil cooler, stand alone auto trans cooler (separate from the radiator), locking rear and 3.73 gears.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Can someone confirm with the standard Trailer Tow Package (53A) that on the PB, you get electric trailer brake controller, oil cooler, stand alone auto trans cooler (separate from the radiator), locking rear and 3.73 gears.
W/ 4x4, I believe the only thing tow package adds is the TBC. PB 4x4 comes with all of the 'upgraded' stuff as part of the PB package itself.

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I do know that the 10r80 transmission has not had a front mounted radiator cooler since the 2018 model year in the F150.
It's always been cooled by the same liquid/liquid heat exchanger mounted near the transmission housing, although Ford has relocated its exact mounting configuration a couple of times.

The Powerboost gets the bigger radiator regardless of the tow package.

I think that's why the debate over the upcharge for Maxtow exists. So much of the package already comes on the Powerboost with the regular tow package that $2000 seems unwarranted.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I tried to configure my truck tonight on the Ford website so I could order this week. The Sport Appearance package forces you to Black paint - no other option, which I do not want.

this must be a mistake because I test drove a 2022 Carbonite Gray with SAP this past week and I saw a metallic red one in Costco parking lot today.

will call Ford Monday

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Max tow over PB
30.4 gallon gas up from 24, but not 36)
Some kind of bumper upgrade ?importance
Larger brakes (I’m pretty sure)
Diff axle(upgrade +/- with bolt shear)
Engine/trans cooling same
Added leaf spring same
Read somewhere stronger frame same, ?reliability

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Max tow over PB
Added leaf spring same
Those few additions when getting the Max Tow in addition to the PB are not worth the extra $1000 +/- dollars the MaxTow costs. At least not to me.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Max tow over PB
Added leaf spring same
PB gets the 30g tank regardless.
The so called 'larger brakes' is moot because the arbitrarily limited GVWR doesn't allow the truck to tow heavier as payload capacity (by sticker) runs out. The PB's base rear axle is rated at over 2 tons. As for the brakes themselves, it increases rear friction area by 4%, or when viewed as a total package including the front brakes, it's about 1.8% additional friction contact. Again however, it's moot because you can't actually increase your towing capability over 'standard' because of running out of sticker GVRW (while also decreasing GVRW by adding the brakes / axle).

I've checked into their parts, the hitch is actually the rear bumper and I haven't found a different hitch / parts on a max tow vehicle.

Per the axle upgrade, well it breaks, and the base axle already on the PB has more margin than the truck's sticker will let it be loaded to.

Frames are all the same, it gets the HD frame standard.

On a well optioned XLT, the tow package adds literally nothing. In fact the checked options vs what's shown on the bottom sheet isn't even aligned. Ford's configurator is a complete mess. What a joke. XLT high + Ford Co-Pilot360™ Assist 2.0+ 360 camera package = tow package literally adding ZERO...

Well it adds to the price, but doesn't actually include anything -- wow
Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1664188556800

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OMG, what a scam!

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1664188714572

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1664188726035

^^^ has no "tow package" on it, already includes everything^^^

So then I add the "trailer tow package", price increases, but it actually doesn't add anything to the truck. I'm going to get in touch with ford, I want my money back.

Here's with the trailer tow package option that literally adds nothing to the truck
Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1664188909125

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Does anyone know how much weight the 7.2 kw generator adds? I am at 1428 on SCREW, 6.5’, XLT, 302A based on an actual payload sticker from a very similar truck to the one I am building. The file Cobraman provided does not have weight for the 7.2kw generator. I am also going to lose 100lbs due to the equalizer WDH. I am losing payload fast.
1428 lb payload on an XLT? Must have every option? Payload on my 302a is 1,777 and I think the only two 'heavy options' I don't have are PowerBoost and moonroof?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
OMG, what a scam!

1664188714572.png

1664188726035.png

^^^ has no "tow package" on it, already includes everything^^^

So then I add the "trailer tow package", price increases, but it actually doesn't add anything to the truck. I'm going to get in touch with ford, I want my money back.

Here's with the trailer tow package option that literally adds nothing to the truck
1664188909125.png
I doubt you'll get very far with Ford, so good luck with that.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I tried to configure my truck tonight on the Ford website so I could order this week. The Sport Appearance package forces you to Black paint - no other option, which I do not want.

this must be a mistake because I test drove a 2022 Carbonite Gray with SAP this past week and I saw a metallic red one in Costco parking lot today.

will call Ford Monday
You might have selected the Sport pgk. further down in the configurator. You can change it to another color provided that color is available with the Sport pkg. (Not all colors are - Stone Grey and Anti matter blue for example) I have a carbonized grey w/ sport pkg.

I believe sport pkg is available in:
Black
White
Space white - 2022 anyway
Rapid Red
Sport Red
Iconic Silver
Carbonized Grey
Atlas Blue

Not sure what the 2023 colours are. I think Space white was replaced with Avalanche and the is an Azure grey as well....

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1428 lb payload on an XLT? Must have every option? Payload on my 302a is 1,777 and I think the only two 'heavy options' I don't have are PowerBoost and moonroof?
As in you don't have the hybrid truck, just the ecoboost? If such is the case, the hybrid system adds 545lbs to the base weight. (Part of that extra weight is base options like HD frame, 9.75" rear, etc.)

The 157" ecoboost 4x weighs 4995# base.
The 157" hybrid 4x weighs 5540#

My 145" hybrid 4x (302a, no moonroof) w/ options weighs 5868lbs

Last edited:
Reactions: 780
OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I contacted Ford Marketing about specific issues on the configuration tool today. They are supposed to call me back. I told them I want to order a truck this week, so hopefully they do call me back in the next day or two. If so, I will bring up these questions on Towing packages.

you guys have already saved me $1K by not selecting Max Tow.

I am assuming the integrated brake controller is the key piece when you select the Trailer Tow package 53A and that integrated brake controller is not part of the PB configuration standard. Can anyone confirm this?
Sponsored