Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Here's my 501A:
Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1663867763496

My trailer is an Escape 21NE. When we travel with it I have between 400-500 lbs in the bed + cab, which works out just about right for the capacity of the truck.

I agree that a 4 ton trailer would be pushing the limits.

My brother sold his Ram 1500 to buy a 2500, for just this reason. He wanted to pull a 30' fifth wheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
Manufacturers don't want their 1/2 tons to have too much payload, otherwise it would cannibalise their 3/4 ton sales for people on the margin, like myself. Trying hard to not overthink this issue, but I just can't stop thinking that I am not buying enough truck. I read a lot of people saying that they would not tow more than 6500 to 7K TT with F150. My guess is I could be closer to 8K (wet) worse case, if I get the TT the wife keeps looking at. I don't want a white knuckle experience driving up the highway. BUT, I also don't want the crap beat out of me when driving cross country either (i.e F250). With a ~1500-1600 payload, I should be ok, since it is only my wife and me (1200 max for the trailer at 15%, realistically closer to 1k), 350lb for me and wife and minimal luggage, since that would be in trailer. Am I missing something?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Payload is one thing, but often the white knuckle tow isn't because the rig is over Payload, but rather because these trucks come with a suspension biased for a smooth test drive in an empty truck.

You can transform these truck's towing prowess with things like tires, shocks, sway bar in the rear, and then a well tuned WDH.

I'd be willing to tow 8000 (wet) for in-state hauls. But if I'm planning on touring the country and covering 1000's of miles? Then I'm in the 6500-7000lb club with others.

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, if the goal is to travel long distances, then 3/4 ton appears to be the better option. I guess I have to get her to focus on the TT, then decide. The plan is to travel long distances over the course of weeks.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
You're over thinking it @SRMD, while overlooking other particulars. The truth is that all of the manufacturers of "1/2 ton" trucks use a magic wand to inflate / create their numbers. There's no rhyme or reason to it either outside of paper racing. There's certainly not a strict adherence to strength or safety margins. Perhaps their stickers are endowed with magic powers via the wand?

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1663911873105

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload 1663912627894

(Note about the front axle ratings - 145" PB = 3900lb, 157" = 4050lb)
When the hybrid was announced and displayed, Ford went well out of their way to mention how they torture tested the hell out of the hybrid components, particularly the battery. I'd put $100 on the reason they won't make the marginally stiffer springs on the HDPP package available is the fact that, when empty, it will beat on the hybrid components more and they want customers to validate their numbers (tested and projected) before giving it a little more abuse and thus its actual engineered GVWR sticker. That's it. The powerboost has the highest weight-rated front axle of all F150 variants including tremor and raptor (I believe the diesel, which is now discontinued, had the same 3900lb rating -- above is 2022 figures).

The only thing of note the PB is missing from the HDPP for the increased GVWR on the sticker is the ~10% marginally stiffer rear springs (arguably not even needed as seen from squat testing). Everything else is present in the manner it needs to be (wheel / tire loading, HD frame, larger axle, proper gearing, etc...)

All of the hybrid's components of notable mass, as well as that of the 4WD system are at the lowest possible position on the truck, ~24" from the ground and between the axles. There isn't a safer position to add mass to the vehicle with bed payload, or trailer to approach the GVWR limit.

The focus shouldn't even be on the rear end for the purposes of this thread which is that of the GVWR missing the 500lbs, that the truck already is provisioned for as it sits. Watch any of the towing / payload tests, she squats the least. Those who do it are surprised because the truck's GVWR is engineered to 7850, it's just arbitrarily marked at 7350 for reasons only known by Ford.

The route I've taken to maximize safety while towing, and to increase the unladen ride is a good set of airbags and adding an adjustable rear sway bar (every truck should have a rear sway from the factory, as well as the ability to option in-cab disconnect if desired).

TLDR: The truck is already #7850 GVRW engineered -- Ford just needs to give us our stickers; there's nothing to fret about.

Source document https://www.esourcebook.dealerconne.../truck/f150/2022/specs.printable.section.html

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
You can get a well equipped PB with a reasonable paylod.

Our 2021 Lariat 4x4 PB 501A comes in at 1653 Lbs payload. We find it very comfortable, even for long hauls. It tows our 5K (loaded & ready for the road) Lance 2184 trailer well.

On one hand it's hard to imagine giving up the comfort of our F150.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to tow a ~8000 Lb trailer with a ~6500 Lb truck. My worry is in an difficult or emergency situation the trailer would have too much authority over the truck - thus reducing the truck's ability to respond as the driver expects.

So my unprofessional (paranoid?) opinion is to go for a smaller trailer and get the F150 PB!

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload Payload_Sticker_NoVin

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload F150_Window_Sticker_NoVin.JPG

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
You can get a well equipped PB with a reasonable paylod.

Our 2021 Lariat 4x4 PB 501A comes in at 1653 Lbs payload. We find it very comfortable, even for long hauls. It tows our 5K (loaded & ready for the road) Lance 2184 trailer well.

On one hand it's hard to imagine giving up the comfort of our F150.

So my unprofessional (paranoid?) opinion is to go for a smaller trailer and get the F150 PB!
This is what I would do. The F150 is def capable of towing a very comfy trailer.

@SRMD What is the trailer you are looking at? Link?

Do you need a 30 footer? Where are you wanting to go? That might be a lot of trailer to try and find a camp site for. That is the biggest factor in us looking at a 24 footer. Which is well within an F150's capacities.

Who will be travelling with you?

Will the bed be loaded with gear as well or is it just the passengers and tongue weight that need to be factored into the payload?

A nice feature the F150 offers if you are concerned about payload is OnBoard Scales and SmartHitch.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
You're over thinking it @SRMD, while overlooking other particulars. The truth is that all of the manufacturers of "1/2 ton" trucks use a magic wand to inflate / create their numbers. There's no rhyme or reason to it either outside of paper racing. There's certainly not a strict adherence to strength or safety margins. Perhaps their stickers are endowed with magic powers via the wand?

1663911873105.png

1663912627894.png

(Note about the front axle ratings - 145" PB = 3900lb, 157" = 4050lb)
When the hybrid was announced and displayed, Ford went well out of their way to mention how they torture tested the hell out of the hybrid components, particularly the battery. I'd put $100 on the reason they won't make the marginally stiffer springs on the HDPP package available is the fact that, when empty, it will beat on the hybrid components more and they want customers to validate their numbers (tested and projected) before giving it a little more abuse and thus its actual engineered GVWR sticker. That's it. The powerboost has the highest weight-rated front axle of all F150 variants including tremor and raptor (I believe the diesel, which is now discontinued, had the same 3900lb rating -- above is 2022 figures).

The only thing of note the PB is missing from the HDPP for the increased GVWR on the sticker is the ~10% marginally stiffer rear springs (arguably not even needed as seen from squat testing). Everything else is present in the manner it needs to be (wheel / tire loading, HD frame, larger axle, proper gearing, etc...)

All of the hybrid's components of notable mass, as well as that of the 4WD system are at the lowest possible position on the truck, ~24" from the ground and between the axles. There isn't a safer position to add mass to the vehicle with bed payload, or trailer to approach the GVWR limit.

The focus shouldn't even be on the rear end for the purposes of this thread which is that of the GVWR missing the 500lbs, that the truck already is provisioned for as it sits. Watch any of the towing / payload tests, she squats the least. Those who do it are surprised because the truck's GVWR is engineered to 7850, it's just arbitrarily marked at 7350 for reasons only known by Ford.

The route I've taken to maximize safety while towing, and to increase the unladen ride is a good set of airbags and adding an adjustable rear sway bar (every truck should have a rear sway from the factory, as well as the ability to option in-cab disconnect if desired).

TLDR: The truck is already #7850 GVRW engineered -- Ford just needs to give us our stickers; there's nothing to fret about.

Source document https://www.esourcebook.dealerconne.../truck/f150/2022/specs.printable.section.html
I’ve already got my airbags picked out, just waiting for shipping. Do you have a recommended sway bar?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve already got my airbags picked out, just waiting for shipping. Do you have a recommended sway bar?
I went with nolathane as it's red (and shipped it was still $100+ cheaper than hellwig). FX4 sticker and tail lights are also red. (they're drop shipped like most large items)
https://truckandgear.com/nolathane/nlh-ecde-rev0110220.html

Hellwig is another brand, more expensive, same 'performance' (both in size and 3 position firmness selection).
Steeda makes an even thicker one for the rear, it's way overkill though.

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went shopping today to check out payloads on various local F150s. Interestingly I found a dealer that had a well loaded XLT 3.5 eco-boost without the power boost that had a 1773 pound payload. It had most all of the options (302A) including max tow, FX4, utility package, etc. I’m trying to understand why that truck had such a high payload with a 7050 pound GVWR. It was a 5.5’ bed and I need 6.5’. Can anyone tell me how much payload reduction to expect with 1’ extra bed length?

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I went shopping today to check out payloads on various local F150s. Interestingly I found a dealer that had a well loaded XLT 3.5 eco-boost without the power boost that had a 1773 pound payload. It had most all of the options (302A) including max tow, FX4, utility package, etc. I’m trying to understand why that truck had such a high payload with a 7050 pound GVWR. It was a 5.5’ bed and I need 6.5’. Can anyone tell me how much payload reduction to expect with 1’ extra bed length?
Huh. Well my truck sounds like the one you describe (302a, Max Tow, FX4) but I have the 6.5" bed. No power boost or moonroof though. Payload is 1,777 on mine. I believe the 1' longer bed reduces payload by about 21 lbs.
Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload IMG_3265.JPG

Ford F-150 New Order POwerboost expected payload IMG_3267.JPG

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, the longer bed is quite light -- well under 50lbs

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This post, #5 of this thread, has an options weight spreadsheet in it.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/new-order-powerboost-expected-payload.12853/#post-261457

OP
OP

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you. I missed that post with the options. I appreciate all of the help/advice. Now, if I can order a truck and get it in less than 6 months, that would be great!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I believe the extra foot of bed is listed as 21lbs?

Less than the tailgate step. :)
Sponsored

Reactions: 780