• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New look at the EV factory

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Wouldn't it be risky to have the charge cord on the pass side and out of view by the driver as he enters the truck? Or, does the car not "start" if it is plugged in? ⚡
The car will start when plugged in (in case you won't to sit in it and use A/C), but it won't go. There are some EVs that do have charge port on the passenger side or in the front.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tomf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Construction Operations
I wonder, for right hand drive cars, if they would move it to the other side. There is more than just the American market.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I wonder, for right hand drive cars, if they would move it to the other side. There is more than just the American market.
I would guess that until the redesign in 2025, all the lightnings produced will be sold in North America. US and Canada are by far the largest market for the F150.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I don't know how many F150 trucks are sold in countries with right hand drive, but it can't be that many. Also Mustang Mach-E sells in UK with right hand drive, but the charge port is still on the left.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Wouldn't it be risky to have the charge cord on the pass side and out of view by the driver as he enters the truck? Or, does the car not "start" if it is plugged in? ⚡
EVs won't shift into drive when plugged in. Not sure why ICE cars don't do the same when the fuel door is open.

I really hate that there's no override for this feature that can be used in an emergency. I have charged my current EV at EA stations in dark, unoccupied parking lots at night and always thought that I would be a sitting duck for robbers, zombies or hungry wildlife if they came for me while charging.

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
And here is the reason for the elevated rear cab floor on the Lightning and another reason Ford is going quick to design the 2nd gen EV Lightning to be released in 2025.
Ford F-150 Lightning New look at the EV factory Lightning Batt

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I have charged my current EV at EA stations in dark, unoccupied parking lots at night and always thought that I would be a sitting duck for robbers, zombies or hungry wildlife if they came for me while charging.
This is where I think charge networks need to step up their game. I'm all for getting more up and running but I also feel they should at least have canopies and lighting.

wattdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer, 2021 F150 Plat
Occupation
Retired - IBEW Electrician
Fun fact. There is a VIN on one of the station display screens in the OP article.

ba30aeb0018b4fdde?width=2000&format=jpeg&auto=webp.jpg

Here is the window sticker for it. Obviously, Ford hasn't changed it yet from the current ICE stickers because the standard equipment list still lists a capless fuel filler and Selectshift.

Capture.PNG
Looks like 11th character in VIN is "W" as plant designation for the Lightning builds at new Rouge site on this window sticker shown.

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
This is where I think charge networks need to step up their game. I'm all for getting more up and running but I also feel they should at least have canopies and lighting.
ANYONE can buy a charge station for $42,000, install it, and make money. (not much money but you get the point)

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
ANYONE can buy a charge station for $42,000, install it, and make money. (not much money but you get the point)
I bet you can get it done for less if you can convince any one of the many networks out there that they could possibly be profitable sometime in the future if they put a station at your location.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Possibly. I was quoting the retail cost of a charge station. An installed station is double that figure after paying a contractor to install it. Rebates help but they vary by state.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
From what I was reading from some early 1910's electric vehicle magazines put out by the Electric Vehicle Association of America, was that charging station owners were doing quite well making money.

You can read them here (many of the archives are multiple magazines, over 300 pages total), from 1913 to 1917
https://library.si.edu/digital-library/book/electric-vehicles

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
So what's the shakedown period for a plant like this 6 months +-. Or is this Fords first plant of this type so 9 months?
Sponsored