OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
The Lomax trifold does not have an upright position, only the Lomax Stance has that. I'm curious too if you can leave it in the final 1/3 position and still fit the bikes over the tail pad. The cool thing is it is quick release removable (no tools or loose nuts to store) and fits in the bed or can store in the garage if needed.
The bikes are too long for that in my short bed. I plan to just take the cover off. I considered the LoMax Stance, which stands against the cab so you don't need to remove it. But that cover requires attaching latches to the roof to hold it. I didn't want to do that and went with the standard cover instead, so I'll just take it off when I put the bikes in.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The bikes are too long for that in my short bed. I plan to just take the cover off. I considered the LoMax Stance, which stands against the cab so you don't need to remove it. But that cover requires attaching latches to the roof to hold it. I didn't want to do that and went with the standard cover instead, so I'll just take it off when I put the bikes in.
Yes!!! Plus it looks like an aerodynamic disaster and I want to be able to see the bikes or whatever load if things go flying. I value ability to remove more than ability to block my rear view.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I have a Ride 88. Expensive as hell, but the best I’ve ever owned.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 62B0D8DE-D3C0-4BA6-BE99-E0097DA45110
Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 11B9C233-9DE0-4046-9FB4-C4C68E0DC4BA

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Raceface t2

20210115_201134.jpg
The tail gates are so thick now at the top, My Cube e mountain bikes would not sit well on the tailgate if at all, the geometry is different

EOhana13

First Name
Eden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan murano
Well the company video is really focused on mountain bikes, and I only do roadies and paved trails so maybe that is why... You definitely cannot put 4 mtb on my Thule 5-bike hitch rack, I put 4 roadies on it and have to space them out. But it is far easier to put them in the bed now that I won't have a shell on the new truck!
I'm not 100% how this would work with road bikes due to the steep head tube angle and
The tail gates are so thick now at the top, My Cube e mountain bikes would not sit well on the tailgate if at all, the geometry is different
Some newer tailgate pads are designed to fit e-mtb's as wel
I had thrown a norco sight vlt e bike over my buddy's f150 tailgate last year. As long as you put it near the edges not tge middle it worked fine. I did have to use some extra velcro to strap it down however

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I have a Ride 88. Expensive as hell, but the best I’ve ever owned.
Nice system! Thanks for sharing.

What mounting option do you use / recommend? The Ford BoxLink method seems like the least obtrusive, and easiest to use and leave in place.

And I'm assuming that with a 5.5' bed I'll need to leave the tailgate down when using the Ride88 system. I just went from a 6.5' to a 5.5' so not sure yet how my 29'r mountain bikes will fit.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice system! Thanks for sharing.

What mounting option do you use / recommend? The Ford BoxLink method seems like the least obtrusive, and easiest to use and leave in place.

And I'm assuming that with a 5.5' bed I'll need to leave the tailgate down when using the Ride88 system. I just went from a 6.5' to a 5.5' so not sure yet how my 29'r mountain bikes will fit.
I use the quick mount. It mounts in the holes in the bed. The holders can be rotated down when not in use, so I can have my bedcover on and leave the rack in the bed.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 5F7D9AA5-F31C-4151-918B-7659E4EAE1E7

I have it now in my 6.5 ft 2014 Tremor bed, so I don’t have to leave the tailgate down. When my 2021 arrives, I will either leave the tailgate down, or just angle the bike if I’m only carrying one. Ride 88 also makes a brace for your tailgate, so it doesn’t bounce around if you leave it down.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 B7C38A47-7537-4840-9AD2-792AFE550DA8

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I use the quick mount. It mounts in the holes in the bed. The holders can be rotated down when not in use, so I can have my bedcover on and leave the rack in the bed.

5F7D9AA5-F31C-4151-918B-7659E4EAE1E7.jpeg

I have it now in my 6.5 ft 2014 Tremor bed, so I don’t have to leave the tailgate down. When my 2021 arrives, I will either leave the tailgate down, or just angle the bike if I’m only carrying one. Ride 88 also makes a brace for your tailgate, so it doesn’t bounce around if you leave it down.

B7C38A47-7537-4840-9AD2-792AFE550DA8.jpeg
I didn't know the bed in my 2021 had that little hole up near the cab, but just confirmed it last night. That looks like the best hookup solution for the Ride88 rack system, especially if it'll easily work with a tri/quad-fold tonneau cover that flips against the rear glass.

Since I have a 5.5' bed, I like the tailgate brace idea.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Any idea if the Ride 88 system works with either a tri or quad fold tonneau cover?

I'd like to use both at the same time if possible... Flip up the tonneau cover and lock it in place against the rear glass while transporting bikes, then when the bikes aren't there collapse the Ride 88 rack in the down position in the bed, and fold back the tonneau cover over the bed.

Do not want to have to remove the flip-style tonneau cover to use the Ride 88 system, and vice-versa.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any idea if the Ride 88 system works with either a tri or quad fold tonneau cover?

I'd like to use both at the same time if possible... Flip up the tonneau cover and lock it in place against the rear glass while transporting bikes, then when the bikes aren't there collapse the Ride 88 rack in the down position in the bed, and fold back the tonneau cover over the bed.

Do not want to have to remove the flip-style tonneau cover to use the Ride 88 system, and vice-versa.
I wish I could confirm. I guess it depends on how much of the cover comes back before the first flip (hinge).

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 01C1BCBD-A0A7-46D9-946A-A2AE2239A0C9

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I wish I could confirm. I guess it depends on how much of the cover comes back before the first flip (hinge).
I have more info thanks to @syne7 :cool: ?

It appears that the Leer HF650M cover in its flipped up and locked position requires approximately 5" of clearance, measured from the front inside of the bed to where the cover ends. Clearance directly below the flipped up cover is not an issue, but anything above the top rail of the bed would need to be at least 5" away from the front of the bed to clear the cover.

I also realized that in the first picture below, the measurement to determine required clearance of the Ride 88 rack should be taken from the inside of the front bed to either the shorter of 1) Where the front tire extends above the plane of the bed rails, or 2) Where the top tire clamp extends above the plane of the bed rails in it's fully opened position in order to place the tire in the rack.

The first image shows the top tire clamp in its closed position, however the clamp needs to be raised up and towards the front of the bed in order to get the bike out of the rack.

Tire size also comes into play; a 29'r would I think require more clearance due to its larger wheel diameter. I'm also not sure how far up the clamp needs to be raised in order to get the tire out.

The second image shows the required clearance of the Leer cover in its up position, measurement taken from the inside of the bed wall.

Not sure if I'm asking too much, but it'd be great to know if the Ride 88 would work with the Leer cover, and with 29'r bikes, before ordering the rack and finding out it doesn't work.

FWIW, I also have a similar question into Ride 88. Will post if I get any insights from them.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 Ride88

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 Leer Flip Cover Clearanc

syne7

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost (Hybrid)
I have more info thanks to @syne7 :cool: ?

It appears that the Leer HF650M cover in its flipped up and locked position requires approximately 5" of clearance, measured from the front inside of the bed to where the cover ends. Clearance directly below the flipped up cover is not an issue, but anything above the top rail of the bed would need to be at least 5" away from the front of the bed to clear the cover.

I also realized that in the first picture below, the measurement to determine required clearance of the Ride 88 rack should be taken from the inside of the front bed to either the shorter of 1) Where the front tire extends above the plane of the bed rails, or 2) Where the top tire clamp extends above the plane of the bed rails in it's fully opened position in order to place the tire in the rack.

The first image shows the top tire clamp in its closed position, however the clamp needs to be raised up and towards the front of the bed in order to get the bike out of the rack.

Tire size also comes into play; a 29'r would I think require more clearance due to its larger wheel diameter. I'm also not sure how far up the clamp needs to be raised in order to get the tire out.

The second image shows the required clearance of the Leer cover in its up position, measurement taken from the inside of the bed wall.

Not sure if I'm asking too much, but it'd be great to know if the Ride 88 would work with the Leer cover, and with 29'r bikes, before ordering the rack and finding out it doesn't work.

FWIW, I also have a similar question into Ride 88. Will post if I get any insights from them.

Ride88.jpeg

Leer Flip Cover Clearance.jpeg
How is your Ride88 Bracket secured to the bed? Is it pressure mounted on the sides? If so you might mount it an inch away for the inside of the bed to offer more clearance if required.

syne7

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost (Hybrid)
@Smitdog The Rack 88 installation videos shows two options that might work, if it does not fit as is...
1. The Ford Adaptor Bracket:
2. The Hanger Cross bar:

Based on your pics, I think there is a chance it would fit "As is."

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am out of town, but I will try to get you a good measurement on Thursday when I get home. It will be close. But it was one reason I got a roll up cover as I wouldn't have to worry about it not working. I see one picture on their site with my mount and a flipped up tri-fold cover, but I cannot confirm the brand of the top (looks like a bakflip). It is also not a 29er. Of course with the Ford quick connect adapter as pictured above, you would have plenty of clearance if you planned on having the tailgate down anyway.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 IMG_9226

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 IMG_9227

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I received a quick reply back from Ride88. They took measurements of their rack system mounted using the two OEM holes located on the upper sides near the bulkhead. As it turns out, you need more than the 5" of clearance from the the bulkhead that the Leer HF650M cover provides.

As @syne7 suggested, Ride88's recommendation is to use their Ford Bracket Adapter, which utilizes the two front Boxlinks to secure the rack system. This does place the rack further back in the bed, but even with a 5.5' bed, a typical 29'r would still fit, although you would need the tailgate down.
Sponsored