Sponsored

New guy here, need help choosing

YatYas1833

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2023 F-150
Hello guys and gals, just needing some advice / opinions. I've decided on getting a 2023 F-150. I'm sure there's multiple threads of this, but I'm torn between getting the 3.5 ecoboost and the 5.0 coyote. My main drawback with the 5.0 is the new cylinder deactivation and how that will affect the engine long term. I plan on keeping this truck as long as I possibly can and occasionally towing a boat in the summer that's around 6-7,000 pounds. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
There is a thread on this.
If fuel economy is a big deal go 2.7 like Ryan091 said.
I went 3.5 since I tow a camper and plan on getting something a little bigger in the future.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I would say 3.5, no reason for the V8 with that load, if you did the 2.7 you'll want the 3.73 gear.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Will they offer the 5.0 in 2023? The answer to that might help your choice.

I bought the Powerboost engine (or should I say I ordered the Powerboost) and it seems like an amazing powertrain, but if I had to do it all over again last year (knowing what I do now) I might have opted for the 2.7 instead. It might be their best engine if you consider the capabilities and inherent economy without unnecessary complication.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Will they offer the 5.0 in 2023? The answer to that might help your choice.

I bought the Powerboost engine (or should I say I ordered the Powerboost) and it seems like an amazing powertrain, but if I had to do it all over again last year (knowing what I do now) I might have opted for the 2.7 instead. It might be their best engine if you consider the capabilities and inherent economy without unnecessary complication.
I traded in my '17 2.7L for a '22 3.5L PB. While I do get better mileage around town (note I'm still < 500 miles in total), I could easily get over 30mpg in the 2.7L on Highways and long trips. City suffered a lot though.

I sometimes regret trading in the '17, but if I were to do it again and there was a 2.7L available I would get it for a '22. I didn't have that choice though. I jumped on a great deal and snapped it up. At the time it was right when Ford was removing a lot of features (March timeframe) and I figured if I were to get one, I should get the one I could now or pay more for less later.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
For what it's worth, I am being told that if you drive the 5.0 in Sport or Tow/Haul modes the CD turns off.

ptr0687

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
5.0 in sport mode is wheeeeeeeeeeee fun!!

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Hello guys and gals, just needing some advice / opinions. I've decided on getting a 2023 F-150. I'm sure there's multiple threads of this, but I'm torn between getting the 3.5 ecoboost and the 5.0 coyote. My main drawback with the 5.0 is the new cylinder deactivation and how that will affect the engine long term. I plan on keeping this truck as long as I possibly can and occasionally towing a boat in the summer that's around 6-7,000 pounds. Thanks in advance!
Im on my third vehicle w 3.5 ECOBOOST in 16 years . More than 100,000 miles on each ecoboost . Flex, expedition EL , now 21 powerboost .

Favorite engine ever . My expedition EL w the 3.5 PB towed by 7500 lb boat and trailer like it wasnt even there and f150 tows more anyway .
My f150 pb hybrid now has 7500 miles and has gotten about 20 mpg on long hwy trips at about 74 mph when open road w less than 300 lb in bed .

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
My main drawback with the 5.0 is the new cylinder deactivation and how that will affect the engine long term.
It's important to always note that GM outsourced cylinder deactivation for their motors, while Ford developed theirs in house. I think that will make the long term experience much more of a non-issue.

Also important to remember that the engines architecture is completely different. They are very different engines.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Get the 3.5. You will never buy a smaller boat, lol.

Plus, if you get the 5.0, you will undoubtably make it loud and obnoxious and probably move next door. 😂😂

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I traded in my '17 2.7L for a '22 3.5L PB. While I do get better mileage around town (note I'm still < 500 miles in total), I could easily get over 30mpg in the 2.7L on Highways and long trips. City suffered a lot though.

I sometimes regret trading in the '17, but if I were to do it again and there was a 2.7L available I would get it for a '22. I didn't have that choice though. I jumped on a great deal and snapped it up. At the time it was right when Ford was removing a lot of features (March timeframe) and I figured if I were to get one, I should get the one I could now or pay more for less later.
I have the Powerboost but have been driving a 2.7L loaner for the last few weeks and I've been impressed with the engine. Never seems underpowered and great gas mileage. Of course I haven't towed anything with it so take it with a grain of salt.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I have the Powerboost but have been driving a 2.7L loaner for the last few weeks and I've been impressed with the engine. Never seems underpowered and great gas mileage. Of course I haven't towed anything with it so take it with a grain of salt.
I hear the do fine towing. Some say they kinda fall flat trying to pass at highway speed. I towed my camper with a V6 Tacoma, so the 2.7 would likely feel like a race car towing my camper. I went 3.5 since I intend to get a bigger camper when my kids get a little older

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I tow around a 4000 lb camper with my 5.0 and bought it for that purpose. Haven't heard of any issues and the 5.0 get surprisingly good mileage. I average around 21 mpg with my 4x2 when not towing and around 11 mpg when towing. I'm super happy with it.
Sponsored