Sponsored

New engine needed for F150 PowerBoost Hybrid

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
With just 6200 miles I was told Friday morning I need a new engine. For the second time since I bought the truck new in mid March the oil pressure light has come on. Both times before this happened a received continual ProPower resets. We thought it was a software reset or update needed. Back in May when I took it in the first time they found it needed a little oil, but assumed it came from the factory like that. Yesterday they discovered it is 3 quarts low and burning oil.

Right now the service department doesn't know how long it will take to get an engine in to replace mine.

We are talking about trading in (not buy back) my F150 and getting a new F150. Apparently my dealership has approx. 70 sitting about 2 hours away waiting to get trucked in.

I've not heard of anyone else having this issue, so I assume this is an anomaly and I'm just lucky.
Sponsored

RayRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT SPORT SCAB 302A 2.7
With just 6200 miles I was told Friday morning I need a new engine. For the second time since I bought the truck new in mid March the oil pressure light has come on. Both times before this happened a received continual ProPower resets. We thought it was a software reset or update needed. Back in May when I took it in the first time they found it needed a little oil, but assumed it came from the factory like that. Yesterday they discovered it is 3 quarts low and burning oil.

Right now the service department doesn't know how long it will take to get an engine in to replace mine.

We are talking about trading in (not buy back) my F150 and getting a new F150. Apparently my dealership has approx. 70 sitting about 2 hours away waiting to get trucked in.

I've not heard of anyone else having this issue, so I assume this is an anomaly and I'm just lucky.
“Assumed it came in from the factory like that”
You think they would have caught that at the PDI.
Oh wait, PDI now only means rip the stickers and plastic off of it , wash it and kick it out the door.

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
My 3.5 EB with 2814 miles is getting a new engine. Ford approved the new engine last Tuesday. I was told it would take about 2 weeks, some of the gaskets are on back order.

OP
OP

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
“Assumed it came in from the factory like that”
You think they would have caught that at the PDI.
Oh wait, PDI now only means rip the stickers and plastic off of it , wash it and kick it out the door.
Yeah, it didn't become an issue until oil starts to burn.

They are supposed to tear down the engine to diagnose it for Ford also.

OP
OP

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 3.5 EB with 2814 miles is getting a new engine. Ford approved the new engine last Tuesday. I was told it would take about 2 weeks, some of the gaskets are on back order.
What happened to yours?

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Sorry for your tough luck. But they can replace it and you’ll soon forget about it. A friend of mine at work in the UK bought a new McLaren and the engine blew up on his first drive home. They treated him well and made it right. It can happen to any car.

Last edited:

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Blue smoke cloud at startup, occasionally shuddering during acceleration (55-57 mph). One dealership threw some parts at it and did not help at all. Took it to my selling dealership and they convinced Ford that throwing more parts and labor would likely not solve the problem. There is another 3.5 EB in MO with exactly the same problem, but theirs is burning oil when pulling a boat (dealer has not seen this one yet). My selling dealership has really been good. If a new engine does not fix the problem it has spent enough time in the shop to qualify for the lemon law. I WILL get another identical F150, if necessary, I like my Fords. This one has just been a bit of a problem.

OP
OP

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry for your tough luck. But they can replace it and you’ll soon forget about it. A friend of mine at work in the UK bought a new McLaren and the engine blew up on his first drive gone. They treated him well and made it right. It can happen to any car.
Thanks for the encouragement. I have no complaints for the dealership though. So far they are stepping up.

OP
OP

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue smoke cloud at startup, occasionally shuddering during acceleration (55-57 mph). One dealership threw some parts at it and did not help at all. Took it to my selling dealership and they convinced Ford that throwing more parts and labor would likely not solve the problem. There is another 3.5 EB in MO with exactly the same problem, but theirs is burning oil when pulling a boat (dealer has not seen this one yet). My selling dealership has really been good. If a new engine does not fix the problem it has spent enough time in the shop to qualify for the lemon law. I WILL get another identical F150, if necessary, I like my Fords. This one has just been a bit of a problem.
Good luck. Sounds like you've been very patient with them.

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I really do have a good service department/dealership. Been with them for several years and they treat me right. It is a 100 mile trip to get there, but they really try to do it right. Loaner vehicles are always waiting for me when I arrive. I honestly think if they can’t fix my truck, they will go to bat for me to replace it.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
So sorry to hear it. Hope it all works out well. We all know how these things can go bad and cause huge fights to get something fixed.

OP
OP

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure if I will ever be able to find out exactly what happened to the engine in the '21 Platinum.

My dealer offered to trade in my Platinum for a Lariat. This is a heavily optioned Lariat only missing a few specific Platinum items like massaging seats(hardly used) and wireless charger(made my phone too hot). I can tell the leather is not the same quality, but I'm fine with it.

I took him up on the offer. I had 6200 miles on my Platinum. Now I'm back to 82 miles. I came away practically even on the trade(not buy back).

KemahGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew Powerboost
My Powerboost has been at dealer for 2 weeks now. I just came upon this thread and find the engine replacements very interesting. It's exactly what I think i need. I DO NOT want them tearing mine apart at the dealer for them to diagnose. It only has 5,000 miles and has used 10 quarts so far. This is something for the engineers to figure out and fix.

My post to the BrandX forum:

Hello all, thought I’d share my unsatisfactory experience with my new Powerboost. Picked it up new in May and drove it home while checking the oil at every gas stop. Trip was about 1,000 miles with the oil level falling about 1/2 quart into the hash marks. At about 2,000 miles it was down a quart when I added oil for the first time.

Assumption: oil consumption approximately .5 quart per 1,000 miles. Not great but acceptable.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

Hooked up our 5,800 lb travel trailer and hit the road. At approximately 3,000 miles while climbing into the mountains of northern New Mexico we encountered strange noises, power loss (limp mode?), and then MIL with various codes sent to FordPass:
Engine control system detecting erratic signals from timing sensor
PCM detecting engine missfire
Pro Power malfunction

We pulled over to read messages in FordPass. It suggested heading to Ford dealer for service. So we turned around and headed to Albuquerque. As we limped along and turned to accelerate and enter the I-40 on ramp…she died. Oil pressure went to zero and warning came on. We were about 60 miles from the nearest dealer and called for Ford Roadside Assistance. 4 hours later we were at a hotel next door to the dealer on a Sunday evening (Father’s Day).

Pulled the dipstick and it was definitely low. Went to Tractor Supply and got a quart of oil. Added it, no joy. Went back to Tractor Supply and bought the remaining 3 quarts that they had on the shelf. It took a total of 3.5 quarts to bring it up.

THREE AND A HALF QUARTS OF OIL IN 1,000 MILES! WTF!?!!?

Next morning, drove next door to Rich Ford. They were great. Got us back on the road by noon. Diagnosis? “None. Head scratch. If it ain’t broke I can’t fix it. Maybe they forgot to fill it in Dearborn.” Used Ford Pass points to buy 5 more quarts and hit the road.

Fast forward to today. Still on road trip. Current mileage is 4,427 miles. Total consumption since new: 7.5 quarts. Yes, I’m now checking every fill up. Sometimes I even get up in the middle of the night just to recheck it. No leaks. No oil in either coolant tank. No smoking. Exhaust looks dirty but not just dripping oil.

My log:

2,000 miles add 1 quart
3,063 miles add 3.5 quarts (checked at Rich Ford)
3,509 miles add .5 quart
3,724 miles add 1 quart 69 hours
4,212 miles add .5 quart 80 hours
4,427 miles add 1 quart 84 hours
4,599 miles add 1 quart 87 hours
4,746 miles add 1 quart 94 hours
5013.1 miles add .5 quart 98 hours

Ford F-150 New engine needed for F150 PowerBoost Hybrid A17A6631-844F-41C1-B4C3-2D01A26263BF

Last edited:
OP
OP

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My Powerboost has been at dealer for 2 weeks now. I just came upon this thread and find the engine replacements very interesting. It's exactly what I think i need. I DO NOT want them tearing mine apart at the dealer for them to diagnose. It only has 5,000 miles and has used 10 quarts so far. This is something for the engineers to figure out and fix.

My post to the BrandX forum:

Hello all, thought I’d share my unsatisfactory experience with my new Powerboost. Picked it up new in May and drove it home while checking the oil at every gas stop. Trip was about 1,000 miles with the oil level falling about 1/2 quart into the hash marks. At about 2,000 miles it was down a quart when I added oil for the first time.

Assumption: oil consumption approximately .5 quart per 1,000 miles. Not great but acceptable.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

Hooked up our 5,800 lb travel trailer and hit the road. At approximately 3,000 miles while climbing into the mountains of northern New Mexico we encountered strange noises, power loss (limp mode?), and then MIL with various codes sent to FordPass:
Engine control system detecting erratic signals from timing sensor
PCM detecting engine missfire
Pro Power malfunction

We pulled over to read messages in FordPass. It suggested heading to Ford dealer for service. So we turned around and headed to Albuquerque. As we limped along and turned to accelerate and enter the I-40 on ramp…she died. Oil pressure went to zero and warning came on. We were about 60 miles from the nearest dealer and called for Ford Roadside Assistance. 4 hours later we were at a hotel next door to the dealer on a Sunday evening (Father’s Day).

Pulled the dipstick and it was definitely low. Went to Tractor Supply and got a quart of oil. Added it, no joy. Went back to Tractor Supply and bought the remaining 3 quarts that they had on the shelf. It took a total of 3.5 quarts to bring it up.

THREE AND A HALF QUARTS OF OIL IN 1,000 MILES! WTF!?!!?

Next morning, drove next door to Rich Ford. They were great. Got us back on the road by noon. Diagnosis? “None. Head scratch. If it ain’t broke I can’t fix it. Maybe they forgot to fill it in Dearborn.” Used Ford Pass points to buy 5 more quarts and hit the road.

Fast forward to today. Still on road trip. Current mileage is 4,427 miles. Total consumption since new: 7.5 quarts. Yes, I’m now checking every fill up. Sometimes I even get up in the middle of the night just to recheck it. No leaks. No oil in either coolant tank. No smoking. Exhaust looks dirty but not just dripping oil.

My log:

2,000 miles add 1 quart
3,063 miles add 3.5 quarts (checked at Rich Ford)
3,509 miles add .5 quart
3,724 miles add 1 quart 69 hours
4,212 miles add .5 quart 80 hours
4,427 miles add 1 quart 84 hours
4,599 miles add 1 quart 87 hours
4,746 miles add 1 quart 94 hours
5013.1 miles add .5 quart 98 hours

A17A6631-844F-41C1-B4C3-2D01A26263BF.jpeg
Sounds very similar problem to mine. Fortunate for me I was offered a trade in option.

They should not be burning oil like this. When was your Powerboost built? I believe from the window sticker on the my first one it was built on 3/5/2021.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
These days you are lucky if they wash it...more like run it through the cheapest car wash ever built that is on their lot with no soap or dryer.
Sponsored