Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Most of us have seen many F-150 Powerboost reviews by now. I thought I'd offer this Powerboost review link because a) the reviewer has been pretty hard on F-150's in the past, so he will be hard to please, and b) he offers a number of driving dynamic observations, both positive and not, that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Just all grist for the mill while we sit on our hands and wait for our orders to be filled...

Jack

Sponsored

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
Interesting that you can see the infrared LEDs on either side of the cockpit throughout the video. I suspect those are part of the driver monitoring system for semi-autonomous driving?

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Interesting that you can see the infrared LEDs on either side of the cockpit throughout the video. I suspect those are part of the driver monitoring system for semi-autonomous driving?
I’d imagine you don’t see them flashing with the naked eye.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that. Interesting that lots of cameras detect the IR light and then shift it into the visible spectrum. I had a Sony Handicam back in the day that would record the pulses of light from a TV remote!

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Oh boy! Big brother is watching! Why did I have to read George Orwell's 1984. ?‍♂

Sponsored

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Yes, those are part of the hardware for the Handsfree driving, software to be available as an update late 2021.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
That’s a couple Powerboost reviews now, and testers aren’t able to break 20mpg, let alone hit the estimated 24. (I think the other was an early Motor Trend review?)

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
Hope that guy didn't pay for that haircut...

It's a comprehensive review, I disagree with his assessment of the steering. I had a 2005 Audi with variable ratio steering and it was incredible. Also, he didn't really get into the meat of the hybrid system.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
That’s a couple Powerboost reviews now, and testers aren’t able to break 20mpg, let alone hit the estimated 24. (I think the other was an early Motor Trend review?)
It’s all about gaming the system and not real world MPG. The epa test is not very representative of real world. Most of these reviewers are driving hard and using a lot of pedal.

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even so, the mpg testing would have been done on a Super Crew model and presumably on the trim level projected to be sold in largest numbers, so most likely a XLT. Or at least that's my understanding of the criteria that must be used. And to the extent Ford was able to make the choice, the models tested would have been left as light as possible rather than loaded to the gills with options. However, I've yet to see a review of a Powerboost model that wasn't at a relatively high trim level and, to serve the needs of reviewers, fully optioned. Both those differences, if my reasoning is correct, would suggest the Powerboost models being reviewed could be lugging around hundreds of pounds of additional weight that some of the models we will be purchasing will not have. Don't forget that just the bump from 18" to 20" wheels and tires, along with a spray in bed liner, equates to ~100#. How much of a mpg difference will this make? Haven't a clue. But the payloads we have managed to see or hear about, among the Powerboost models that have been out on the road shows and the basis for the reviews, had disappointingly low payload numbers.

Just a general question/observation: Almost inevitably, trucks end up needing to do at least one of two things: tow something and haul stuff. What does it say that without exception, reviewers of these Powerboost trucks have sliced and diced the specs many different ways, and yet I've not seen one of them point to the payload number decal on their test vehicle. That's quite an omission and doesn't speak highly of them as truck reviewers.

Jack

Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I agree. While I liked the review - at least the guy was reasonably articulate and in control - the payload discussion was completely absent. I don't know how many are buying the high-end trims for 70K to use C-clamps in the tailgate vs for towing their toys but it's got to be lopsided number. And, these critics don't seem to get it - and that's why Ford doesn't seem to get it either.

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi there,, Kavindra....don't remember if I mentioned this to you earlier, but others here might find this data point of interest. While talking with Albert (Granger Ford in Iowa), I asked him a bunch of 'numbers' questions about their sales numbers. One was 'how many of the 2021 F-150's he was selling have the Powerboost drive train?' His answer startled me: 40%!

Hope the shopping turns 'real' for you soon. I did get a call from the Prescott Ford dealer that he has finally received a single 2021 F-150. An XLT with a 3.5L V6. I'll try to get a look at it on the other side of the holiday. Let me know how things move along there.

Jack

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Hi Jack, I am not surprised by the PB numbers. If not PB, one could get much better deals on 2020. The 7.2kW generator is one part that cannot be duplicated with other engines - and it is one of the more compelling options.

My shopping has not turned real as yet. I plan to check out what kind of stock local dealers have in the coming 10 days. If it doesn’t happen soon - I have a super busy period coming up professionally and might end up skipping the dealer visits altogether an just calling Albert, discussing the options and placing an order with him.

I am holding off to confirm the compatibility of the 5th wheel hitch with PB. It is still unconfirmed but I have a dialog with B&W to find out as soon as they are able to confirm it. I believe they too are hampered by the limited availability of the PB trucks to evaluate that they need to do.

So, still stuck but hoping I can place an order within the next 30 days.

Forrest

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
The camera picks these lights up. The naked eye doesn't see them.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
I just bought a Limited Powerboost. Haven’t had a chance to drive a lot and won’t for a few days. One odd thing I have noticed is the turn signals don’t cancel after a turn. That may be addressed in the manual but I haven’t figured out yet how to access that in the Sync 4.
Sponsored