Sponsored

New 2022 Tremor license plate LEDs?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Obviously, some care about aesthetics, and every single other bulb, is bright white LED, as were the license plate bulbs in 2021 models. The incandescent bulbs just look wrong. If you don’t care, why not just butt out, if you can’t be helpful?
For $10-20 on a $70,000+ truck I’m going to change mine, but hey, thanks for taking your valuable time, to give us your meaningless opinion!
It’s all about color homogeneity. I get it. I work for a major LED manufacturer and it’s an important aspect in the automotive world. White light especially.
Sponsored

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
My 2022 Lariat 502 package tat bI took delivery in April, didn't have the LED license plate bulbs. I bought some on amazon and they installed with no issues and look great. Took all of 5 minutes to change them.

OP
OP
DEEPDOWN

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402A Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
I’m kinda a sucker for trying to stay oem. I’d love to get a part number for the stock led lights from a 21.
I used Philips 194. Philips is major supplier to OEM, so I trust their brand name, and they look great and same as my 'old' 2021 Lariat.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
This! My truck was only a month old or so when I reached under to Change my bulbs out and the bases were already very discolored from the heat.
mine were just starting to have a light brown area around the bulb
as well
Was it the factory halogens that were causing this or did this happen after the switch to LED?

If it's the factory halogen is this not a potential fire hazard?

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I used Philips 194. Philips is major supplier to OEM, so I trust their brand name, and they look great and same as my 'old' 2021 Lariat.
Yeah I have LEDs in there. My bigger question was for the trucks that came from the factory did just use a push in LED bulb or was the housing different with a sealed type of LED?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DEEPDOWN

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Yeah I have LEDs in there. My bigger question was for the trucks that came from the factory did just use a push in LED bulb or was the housing different with a sealed type of LED?
Same housing.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Was it the factory halogens that were causing this or did this happen after the switch to LED?

If it's the factory halogen is this not a potential fire hazard?
factory halogens

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Easy swap out (one didn’t light but rotated 180 and all good). Used Philips (Amazon), as I like trusted brand. Look ok in daylight, so I’m sure will be good at night.

78BF2CC0-4315-4E6A-B05E-E5FD2863E54D.jpeg

80665651-2EB0-467F-847B-DF820E380342.jpeg

379A2F98-2B8A-484A-A03C-9A05224904ED.jpeg
When I first saw this post, I didn't have my Tremor, and sort of thought "no big deal". Now that I have my Tremor, it does stand out....like WTF Ford....all these white lights, when looking from the back, and this dim yellow stuff.

Quick questions.....

1) Did the ones you used (from the box above) match the other light colors? I just wanted to be sure the 6000 are the way to go, and match the others and aren't too powerful looking.

2) Did you just do the replacement coming from up underneath....sort of twist the light housing 90 or 180 degrees, pull them out, and then swap bulbs?

Thanks

OP
OP
DEEPDOWN

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
When I first saw this post, I didn't have my Tremor, and sort of thought "no big deal". Now that I have my Tremor, it does stand out....like WTF Ford....all these white lights, when looking from the back, and this dim yellow stuff.

Quick questions.....

1) Did the ones you used (from the box above) match the other light colors? I just wanted to be sure the 6000 are the way to go, and match the others and aren't too powerful looking.

2) Did you just do the replacement coming from up underneath....sort of twist the light housing 90 or 180 degrees, pull them out, and then swap bulbs?

Thanks

1) Perfect match
2) Yes from under the bumper. Lay on your back and sockets are easy to access. 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, and replace. If bulb doesn't light (one of mine didn't) simply remove from socket, rotate that bulb 180 deg, and reinsert, as LEDs (as all diodes) are polarity +/- sensitive. Took me less than one minute to change both.

Last edited:

Radixmatrix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Architect
I also used the Philips Bulbs on my Tremor, after the advice on this thread. Thanks @DEEPDOWN Agree, perfect match - I managed to do it and I'm no way mechanically minded :)

Sponsored

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
1) Perfect match
2) Yes from under the bumper. Lay on your back and sockets are easy to access. 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, and replace. If bulb doesn't light (one of mine didn't) simply remove from socket, rotate that bulb 180 deg, and reinsert, as LEDs (as all diodes) are polarity +/- sensitive. Took me less than one minute to change both.
Ordered. Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I cant grasp all the discussions over license plate lights.

Who freakin cares
The original concern I read about was the theory is the wiring was designed for low volargae led bulbs, people, including myself with a 2022 tremor, have replaced the incandescent bulb with an aftermarket led one. When doing so even with barely any miles on the truck, the socket that accepts the bulb looked brown and almost burnt.

The concern is the risk of fire, and just laziness on Fords behalf.

Plus for $5 you can have the license plate lights the same temperature as the rest of the LED's on the truck.

If it doesn't bother you that's fine, more power to you.

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Done.

I think they probably count as my first official mod.

For the truly “unmechanical” like me, here are some more notes…..

Drivers side is a little tighter to get to based on some other wiring (somewhat tied to hand size)

When you have the housing removed from where it sits, to remove the stock bulb, just pull them out. They might give a little resistance but no twisting is needed.

When you have the new LED in the light, before you put it back into the housing, open a door on the truck to turn on the lights and make sure it lights up. If not, remove and rotate 180 and reinsert. I was lucky and went 2 for 2 today.

Lastly, watch your head. With all of the up and down opening the passenger door, I smacked the crap out of my head on the hitch receiver. Fortunately there was no damage to the hitch receiver.

Before…..

Ford F-150 New 2022 Tremor license plate LEDs? AA66AA8A-C192-4741-9411-E60CB79771AD

After……

Ford F-150 New 2022 Tremor license plate LEDs? CDE7F9FC-5B9D-4A98-B324-BD9751C49E41

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
On a somewhat related note. Anyone have the urget to put cab lights on the roof of their Tremor? I think it might look great...could always use a lil more orange, and we need to use those up lifter switches for something.
Sponsored