Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I've been anxiously awaiting the new F150 with the hybrid engine, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the first hybrid Ford has ever put in a truck, when I'll be towing a horse trailer. With animals in the trailer, I don't want to risk problems with a new engine.

Anyone else worried? Or am I being overly concerned?
Sponsored

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
One hopes that Ford development tested the begebbers out it to discover any shortcomings. Its a bold move to have the first true hybrid truck, so you'd expect Ford would not put their F-150 crown jewel, cash-cow (most popular vehicle sold in America) at risk of a major flub. But this is Ford.... :unsure:

(Fiesta dual-clutch auto tranny nightmare)

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Although this is premature without the vehicles on the road and tested, I'm not too worried about it. The hybrid is buying you more torque a few more horses and some battery power for better mpg. It's not like it's a Prius.

Don't they have a hybrid in the Escape? Also, they've been working on the all electric F150 for 2021 release. Hybrid technology has been around for over a decade and has proven reliable. But if you're hesitant, stick with the diesel for torque.

OP
OP

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Although this is premature without the vehicles on the road and tested, I'm not too worried about it. The hybrid is buying you more torque a few more horses and some battery power for better mpg. It's not like it's a Prius.

Don't they have a hybrid in the Escape? Also, they've been working on the all electric F150 for 2021 release. Hybrid technology has been around for over a decade and has proven reliable. But if you're hesitant, stick with the diesel for torque.
It's not that hybrids in general are new, it's that a hybrid in a towing vehicle with this kind of weight attached is new. There aren't many (or maybe any) of those on the road at the moment, so there aren't any real-world examples for me to look at.

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
It's not that hybrids in general are new, it's that a hybrid in a towing vehicle with this kind of weight attached is new. There aren't many (or maybe any) of those on the road at the moment, so there aren't any real-world examples for me to look at.
Ram with etorque?

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I've been anxiously awaiting the new F150 with the hybrid engine, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the first hybrid Ford has ever put in a truck, when I'll be towing a horse trailer. With animals in the trailer, I don't want to risk problems with a new engine.

I wouldn't say I'm worried but you are right, proven hybrid tech being added to a new use.

The design Ford has come up with was pretty impressive to me, enough to get me to bite early.

I will however be adding an extended warranty with upgraded rental but I have been pretty much doing that because of all the electronics on them these days.

As LoneStar said, this is a very important vehicle for them and I would bet this one has been tested to hills and back. Also it is looking like this will be a very desirable option for these trucks. I think even Ford may be surprised at how many PowerBoost get ordered.

I also love more low end torque and hp so that alone gets my vote, then you add the generator and better MPGs, yeah, no brainier.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I have to agree with @currybob, Ford is going to have these trucks pretty well shook down before they ever reach the lot. I would say that the push back on Job 1 is a result of that. They want to produce as many trucks/test as many trucks as they can before going to retail production. I don't know if you have read about GM's launch of the new Yukon and Tahoe, but they have been plagued with issues. I am not expecting Ford to release a truck that isn't ready for market.

Last edited:

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired

I'm new to this forum and this video may have been posted previously. I had the same concern towing with this hybrid in the SW desert heat, but after watching this video I felt a lot better! https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-hybrid-undergoes-torture-testing-video

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I'm new to this forum and this video may have been posted previously. I had the same concern towing with this hybrid in the SW desert heat, but after watching this video I felt a lot better! https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-hybrid-undergoes-torture-testing-video
Welcome to the forum! glad to have you join in.

Yeah, I don't think there will be any issue at all.

You have to think, the hybrid actually takes some of the workload off the motor. That would make it even a better choice than non-hybrid engine in high heat environments.

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
I don't think it will have any problem towing. No one knows about longevity though

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My question wasn't about capacity, it was about reliability.
Personally I am not worried as I've been towing with an EB since 2017 and the PB is basically the EB with a little extra "help". But when towing it will primary be an EB, which is tried and true, and it will be the same gas guzzler I get today.

I would not do the first year of an all electric F150 with my family of 4 pulling my 8000# trailer though.

Looks like this thread is months old now. Did you make a decision?

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Personally I am not worried as I've been towing with an EB since 2017 and the PB is basically the EB with a little extra "help". But when towing it will primary be an EB, which is tried and true, and it will be the same gas guzzler I get today.

I would not do the first year of an all electric F150 with my family of 4 pulling my 8000# trailer though.

I gave a lot of thought to the 3.5EB (currently own a 2011 and what I originally ordered), the PB (what I have on order now), and the full electric coming in 2022. Between price, and then the fact that as a society, if you wanted to tow a camper around for example, we are not equipped with super chargers everywhere to make that feasible. I don't care if it has 600 miles of regular range, it is still an inconvenient and limiting factor.

Let's say the eMPG of any electric vehicle is 2.5x better than its gasoline counterpart, cut that to 2x compared to a hybrid, and you get the same approximate 2x fuel cost and carbon footprint(this is proven btw). I know cutting the carbon footprint of a vehicle in half is great, but it is way more expensive in difference in the cost of the electric vehicle, where a hybrid pays for itself within five years on average. That paired with the inconvenience of having to charge it on the open road is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure it will be great, and I am planning on my current hybrid order likely being the last gas powered vehicle I drive, but we just aren't there quite yet for me to hold out and shell out for the FEV F-150.

Ford has proven hybrids to be effective, and the hybrid has a longer warranty, and lets hope dealerships offering lifetime powertrain warranties apply to the hybrid, maybe minus the battery.

OP
OP

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I'm leaning towards the PB, but still waiting to hear whether the modified axles & drivetrain will prevent the installation of a gooseneck hitch. None of the hitch manufacturers have seen a 2021 yet, and none of the dealers have any idea.

Once they start hitting lots, I'll check again and decide.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'm leaning towards the PB, but still waiting to hear whether the modified axles & drivetrain will prevent the installation of a gooseneck hitch. None of the hitch manufacturers have seen a 2021 yet, and none of the dealers have any idea.

Once they start hitting lots, I'll check again and decide.
It shows 5th wheel towing ratings for the PB in Fords 2021 Towing Guide.
Sponsored