SBrentnall

Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I've been anxiously awaiting the new F150 with the hybrid engine, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the first hybrid Ford has ever put in a truck, when I'll be towing a horse trailer. With animals in the trailer, I don't want to risk problems with a new engine.

Anyone else worried? Or am I being overly concerned?

Last edited:

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
One hopes that Ford development tested the begebbers out it to discover any shortcomings. Its a bold move to have the first true hybrid truck, so you'd expect Ford would not put their F-150 crown jewel, cash-cow (most popular vehicle sold in America) at risk of a major flub. But this is Ford.... :unsure:

(Fiesta dual-clutch auto tranny nightmare)

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5d; Tesla M3
Although this is premature without the vehicles on the road and tested, I'm not too worried about it. The hybrid is buying you more torque a few more horses and some battery power for better mpg. It's not like it's a Prius.

Don't they have a hybrid in the Escape? Also, they've been working on the all electric F150 for 2021 release. Hybrid technology has been around for over a decade and has proven reliable. But if you're hesitant, stick with the diesel for torque.

OP

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Although this is premature without the vehicles on the road and tested, I'm not too worried about it. The hybrid is buying you more torque a few more horses and some battery power for better mpg. It's not like it's a Prius.

Don't they have a hybrid in the Escape? Also, they've been working on the all electric F150 for 2021 release. Hybrid technology has been around for over a decade and has proven reliable. But if you're hesitant, stick with the diesel for torque.
It's not that hybrids in general are new, it's that a hybrid in a towing vehicle with this kind of weight attached is new. There aren't many (or maybe any) of those on the road at the moment, so there aren't any real-world examples for me to look at.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 King Ranch F150; 2020 Lexus RX350; 2016 Dodge Challanger Hellcat
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I've been anxiously awaiting the new F150 with the hybrid engine, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to buy the first hybrid Ford has ever put in a truck, when I'll be towing a horse trailer. With animals in the trailer, I don't want to risk problems with a new engine.

Anyone else worried? Or am I being overly concerned?
I wouldn't say I'm worried but you are right, proven hybrid tech being added to a new use.

The design Ford has come up with was pretty impressive to me, enough to get me to bite early.

I will however be adding an extended warranty with upgraded rental but I have been pretty much doing that because of all the electronics on them these days.

As LoneStar said, this is a very important vehicle for them and I would bet this one has been tested to hills and back. Also it is looking like this will be a very desirable option for these trucks. I think even Ford may be surprised at how many PowerBoost get ordered.

I also love more low end torque and hp so that alone gets my vote, then you add the generator and better MPGs, yeah, no brainier.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
I have to agree with @currybob, Ford is going to have these trucks pretty well shook down before they ever reach the lot. I would say that the push back on Job 1 is a result of that. They want to produce as many trucks/test as many trucks as they can before going to retail production. I don't know if you have read about GM's launch of the new Yukon and Tahoe, but they have been plagued with issues. I am not expecting Ford to release a truck that isn't ready for market.

Last edited: