Negotiating on a "Build It" Price

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Really? I though I was one of the last odd men out. Have you contacted your dealer and asked?

I was originally under the impression that Ford would reach out to me at that part of the process. However, I was incorrect. For you, they may still be moving forward and have assigned a VIN, but not notified you yet.
I ordered 9/30. Still no vin either. Dealers says my order hasn’t been picked up by Ford yet. I’m guessing that my dealer doesn’t have any allocations... I was originally expecting and going to get my truck by December 31 for tax purposes. Now hoping I can get it in time for camping and boating this spring... :/
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I ordered 9/30. Still no vin either. Dealers says my order hasn’t been picked up by Ford yet. I’m guessing that my dealer doesn’t have any allocations... I was originally expecting and going to get my truck by December 31 for tax purposes. Now hoping I can get it in time for camping and boating this spring... :/

The allocations has to be the issue. Especially since we have had our first week of production with hardly any supply issues. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they get their crap together for you.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
I am not sure if I am being lead astray...

21 Platinum Super Crew Cab 6.5 bed, 3.5 Ecoboost, FX4, Heavy Duty Tow, 2kw Onboard and moonroof:
MSRP $72,630
Invoice $67,774
Sales Price $68,396
Rebate $4,100
Net $64,296

The dealer fee is $799 which is typical in my area and the only other fee listed is the License fee of $105.50 and of course sales tax.

I asked if I qualified for the rebate and I was told yes. I am not a first responder or former military. My husband is an F150 owner but....I am really leary about this "rebate". I am going to the dealership on Friday and I will ask more questions but has anyone heard of anything remotely similar?

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium

21 Platinum Super Crew Cab 6.5 bed, 3.5 Ecoboost, FX4, Heavy Duty Tow, 2kw Onboard and moonroof:
MSRP $72,630
Invoice $67,774
Sales Price $68,396
Rebate $4,100
Net $64,296

The dealer fee is $799 which is typical in my area and the only other fee listed is the License fee of $105.50 and of course sales tax.

I asked if I qualified for the rebate and I was told yes. I am not a first responder or former military. My husband is an F150 owner but....I am really leary about this "rebate". I am going to the dealership on Friday and I will ask more questions but has anyone heard of anything remotely similar?

Certainly looks doable to me.. I would have them write it up with an OTD price and incentives/rebates/cash offers included and sign it along with them.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

MSRP $72,630
Invoice $67,774
Sales Price $68,396
Rebate $4,100
Net $64,296

Looks like a good discount to me for early in a new model year. I got mine for 1,000 below invoice plus all rebates and a PCO so mine was a couple grand less than this, so looks like more room for negotiations. With that high of a dealer fee, they should be able to do the same as mine.

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150

MSRP $72,630
Invoice $67,774
Sales Price $68,396
Rebate $4,100
Net $64,296

Have you checked Mullinax Ford or is this information from Mullinax.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you checked Mullinax Ford or is this information from Mullinax.
I tried but they have not responded to my request for a quote. I guess I need to call direct. They are about a 2-hour drive for me so I would prefer to do it online. The price above was a dealer down the road from me.

I did pose the issue to the other dealer that has given me a decent offer. When I asked about rebates/incentives, the response was that some dealers put in all the rebates in their price but you would have to qualify for them at the time of sale. The exact question I asked of the dealer down the road who said that I would qualify.

This is why I hate buying cars - the games.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I tried but they have not responded to my request for a quote. I guess I need to call direct. They are about a 2-hour drive for me so I would prefer to do it online. The price above was a dealer down the road from me.

I did pose the issue to the other dealer that has given me a decent offer. When I asked about rebates/incentives, the response was that some dealers put in all the rebates in their price but you would have to qualify for them at the time of sale. The exact question I asked of the dealer down the road who said that I would qualify.

Get everything in writing and signed. Don't know why I like it but for some reason I like the challenge and have done it waaaay too often.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150

I hear you and I despise these advertising games dealers play because they’re so desperate to get people to actually walk into the dealer and that’s when the ”Bait and Switch“ begins.

Yes, I would give Mullinax Ford a direct call.

I live in GA but back in 2016, I drove to Mullinax Ford in AL to purchase my 2016 Lariat because the price blew away every dealer in Atlanta.

If you want, I can give you the name of the salesman I used at their AL store. Perhaps he can work a great deal for you and you can still pick it up in one of the Florida stores.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hear you and I despise these advertising games dealers play because they’re so desperate to get people to actually walk into the dealer and that’s when the ”Bait and Switch“ begins.

Yes, I would give Mullinax Ford a direct call.

I live in GA but back in 2016, I drove to Mullinax Ford in AL to purchase my 2016 Lariat because the price blew away every dealer in Atlanta.

If you want, I can give you the name of the salesman I used at their AL store. Perhaps he can work a great deal for you and you can still pick it up in one of the Florida stores.
Sure I will take the name. Thank you!

I did call Mullinax directly so I am waiting for their price. I will see what they say.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sure I will take the name. Thank you!

I did call Mullinax directly so I am waiting for their price. I will see what they say.
You would have to drive further but my dealer sold me mine for 1,000 under invoice and I get all rebates and incentives. Their Doc fee is just $399. They are in Albertville AL

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You would have to drive further but my dealer sold me mine for 1,000 under invoice and I get all rebates and incentives. Their Doc fee is just $399. They are in Albertville AL
I may take you up on it. I do go to Alabama to run hunt tests with my dogs. 9 hours is doable for me. Now you know why I have 133k on 16 Suburban. :)

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid
I thought you had to wait until delivery to see what incentives and PCOs were available?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I thought you had to wait until delivery to see what incentives and PCOs were available?
The PCO they locked in so I would not loose it.

The other smaller stuff they do and they always seem to have the finance with Ford rebate, the amounts just vary. Of course the military, medical etc. are always there, they just change the date but most of them cannot be combined with a PCO.

I do the finance one and then pay it off before the first payment. KR also has a $500 which can be combined and it will vary on model but always there in some form.

If you have to go that route let me know and I will give you the persons name you will need to talk to.

Last edited:

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Guys - here's the TRUTH, super important!

Rebates and Incentives can only be applied and are good on the day you actually get/pay for your vehicle - transaction day. If there's a discount from Ford going on TODAY, there's no guarantee that discount will be going on (valid) at the time your get your ordered truck in (physical purchase day) - and if the dealer says otherwise, he's WRONG.

This was explained to me when I ordered back in October when I walked in and offered $1000 below invoice plus incentives. It was an unknown price because they have to get invoice first, and nobody knows what the incentives will be at time of purchase. It was explained to me very clearly how Ford incentives work.

Then when I got a call yesterday and was told while my build week is Jan 25th, it would likely take a full month for the truck to arrive (San Antonio, TX) - HOWEVER, the dealer told me that it was probably good news because I'd be creeping into far better incentives by that time (from Ford). Remember, the dealer and I already made our deal (1000 below invoice), so his profit at this point is 'fixed', so he's rooting on me to get better incentives because I'm battling cancer, that happened right after I ordered.

Now, keep in mind that by "Ford Incentives", I'm talking about the big and main ones from Ford itself, not anything specials your dealer may be running using their own profit margins. Also, this doesn't include those rare PCO's that got Ford offers in email/popups that have an expired time on them like coupons. Sometimes you can get Ford to extend your PCO validity if there are delays and it's their fault and they want to make you happy.
Sponsored