Negotiating on a "Build It" Price

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
We ordered a 2021 Powerboost 4X4 Platinum today from Walker Ford at $1,000 under invoice. Shawna and Tracy at Walker Ford were nice to work with and significantly more knowledgeable and easier to work with than Ferman Ford. Both dealers had offered to sell at invoice based on prior visits. What really pushed my wife and I away from Ferman was a sense of flippancy about whether or not they wanted to sell a retail order Platinum truck...on two separate occasions. Maybe the guys we spoke to were just having bad day(s). For example, we asked to see the 8 1/2" x 11" 2021 color choice book at Ferman, and the two associates that looked into the matter for me said they didn't have one. I also asked them to run the Platinum invoice numbers on a configured build and their response was "they didn't have anyone in on a Saturday that would be able to do that".

I wrote down the numbers I was comfortable with (listed above) prior going into the dealer, and if we could get close to X Plan pricing I was going to be happy. I asked to talk directly with a sales manager, brought my paperwork, asked for $1,000 less than invoice, reviewed their fees, and was ready to fan out my search if we couldn't make a deal. Tracy met with us and was able to offer us $1,000 under invoice. Their doc fee is $799 (ugh), but it seems you're going to get fee'd somewhere or another, even with the x-plan ($100 + 275 at a minimum).

All in all, we're ok with the price and excited to jump in line with everyone else!

PS - We struggled with which tow package option to specify or not specify. Ultimately chose not to add any additional tow packages to the Platinum trim level, which I hope is the right choice for us. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm getting for a tow package....we seemed to have more info than the dealer at this time...I hope they get some better documentation going forward. All I need tow wise is something to be able to pull my 4,000# boat/trailer in and out of the water about 1x/month and tow it to the Keys 1x/year. I think the Tow Technology Package standard with the Platinum trim will be adequate.

F150 4X4 Plat Dec 12 1 of 2.jpg

F150 4X4 Plat Dec 12 2 of 2.jpg
That’s true, those damn dealer fees!

Sounds like you were able to find a decent dealer and negotiate a fair deal. That’s the hardest part, beside waiting!

Proportionally, it looks like you and I got about the same off of our sale and out the door prices (approximately $5-$7K), which is pretty good from what I’ve seen on the forum.
Sponsored

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
Some Florida Ford Dealers are already offering over $7000 off of MSRP on Limited's, over $7200 on KR's and over $7500 on Lariats
What dealers? I'm in Clearwater and I am just starting the search. First offer from Brandon Ford was $1k off MSRP for a Lariat. Thanks but no thanks. I saw that the original post was from Walker Ford which is just down the road from me so I will try there too.

I really hate the car shopping negotiation game especially being a woman. My last car I got the employee pricing through my employer but they do not have the same deal with Ford.

I may end up with the Albert/Granger route but the drive back does not appeal to me.

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
I walked into my dealer here in San Antonio, TX and showed them my 502a lariat build and told them I was willing to pay $1000 under invoice, plus whatever promotional incentives were available at time of delivery (that's how incentives work, you can't get the ones going on when you order, just the ones active at delivery because that's when purchase officially goes into effect).

They took it without a counter offer.

They and I signed my order with that written on it, and we both have copies. Granted, both of us could cancel the order at any time - but of course they won't, and I won't because I feel it's the best price I can get right now - when I'm pre-ordering at a disadvantage versus waiting a month or two for truck-month and when all the lots have inventory (aka negotiating at a disadvantage).

At the time of this agreement (beginning of November), they told me my invoice price was unknown but it would be issued a week or two before the truck actually arrived - and that's when I'd get to know my final pricing numbers. At the time, most F150 stuff was very unknown, so I would imagine if I did this all over again today, they could probably supply me those numbers as I can go to the CostcoAuto site and configure my truck and see the invoice price there.

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
What dealers? I'm in Clearwater and I am just starting the search. First offer from Brandon Ford was $1k off MSRP for a Lariat. Thanks but no thanks. I saw that the original post was from Walker Ford which is just down the road from me so I will try there too.

I really hate the car shopping negotiation game especially being a woman. My last car I got the employee pricing through my employer but they do not have the same deal with Ford.

I may end up with the Albert/Granger route but the drive back does not appeal to me.
Greenway ford in Orlando has Lariats at about $7000 off of MSRP. Elder in Tampa has them at about $5500 off

Smoke Chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra SLT, Subaru Outback
I walked into my dealer here in San Antonio, TX and showed them my 502a lariat build and told them I was willing to pay $1000 under invoice, plus whatever promotional incentives were available at time of delivery (that's how incentives work, you can't get the ones going on when you order, just the ones active at delivery because that's when purchase officially goes into effect).

They took it without a counter offer.

They and I signed my order with that written on it, and we both have copies. Granted, both of us could cancel the order at any time - but of course they won't, and I won't because I feel it's the best price I can get right now - when I'm pre-ordering at a disadvantage versus waiting a month or two for truck-month and when all the lots have inventory (aka negotiating at a disadvantage).

At the time of this agreement (beginning of November), they told me my invoice price was unknown but it would be issued a week or two before the truck actually arrived - and that's when I'd get to know my final pricing numbers. At the time, most F150 stuff was very unknown, so I would imagine if I did this all over again today, they could probably supply me those numbers as I can go to the CostcoAuto site and configure my truck and see the invoice price there.
Sounds like you struck a good deal! Which store did you buy from? I am also in San Antonio. I went to Northside and made the same offer you did but they declined. Invoice only.

Sponsored

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Sounds like you struck a good deal! Which store did you buy from? I am also in San Antonio. I went to Northside and made the same offer you did but they declined. Invoice only.
Red McCombs off I10.

the dealer in New Braunfuls is good too.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
How would the X-plan pricing typically compare to invoice price (or invoice -$1,000 as in the case of Granger Ford's offer)?

(For reference, considering purchase of a 2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum 4X4.)
X plan is over invoice and we are now at 3% below invoice which is all of the holdback taken off..

Being in Florida that may not be a doable item however I have sold some F-150's to FLA residents that can fly in and drive home...

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Some Florida Ford Dealers are already offering over $7000 off of MSRP on Limited's, over $7200 on KR's and over $7500 on Lariats
When I was looking earlier in the year at buying a 2020 F150 I came to discover that some dealers in FL & TX that were offering massive discounts were actually including every single rebate and incentive that Ford offers to come up with their sales price. Most are not available to most people and it's unlikely anyone can qualify for every single rebate and incentive. Rebates & Incentives typically mentioned were Recent College Graduate, First Responder, Military, 4H Club, American Quarter Horse Association, FFA, Aged Inventory, etc. and an insistence that you finance from them, so be aware of the numbers game some dealers play.

2021PLAT!

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 platinum
Occupation
Small Business owner
Looking msrp with x plan shows a platinum at $55386 vs $59110 msrp without x plan on a 2 wheel drive 5.0 so I’m sure you can get a lariat at around 4K less than msrp with x plan at minimum. Check it out on mustang club of America where you can sign up for membership and get x plan pricing for only 25.00 a year

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
Researching about how to get the best price is a headache. If a dealer gives up the holdback and sells below invoice how do they make anything on the sale? I am using x plan on mine(being built week of Jan. 18th) and feel I am getting a good deal and allow the dealer to still make money. I like that with x plan I am not having to work negotiating with the sales people who always make me feel like they are con-men and quick change artists. Just my view.

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
When I was looking earlier in the year at buying a 2020 F150 I came to discover that some dealers in FL & TX that were offering massive discounts were actually including every single rebate and incentive that Ford offers to come up with their sales price. Most are not available to most people and it's unlikely anyone can qualify for every single rebate and incentive. Rebates & Incentives typically mentioned were Recent College Graduate, First Responder, Military, 4H Club, American Quarter Horse Association, FFA, Aged Inventory, etc. and an insistence that you finance from them, so be aware of the numbers game some dealers play.
Yes, this is very common and should be illegal because it’s bordering on”Bait and Switch”.

Dealers should just give an honest and “separate“ breakdown of the price of the vehicle with “every“ rebate available instead of wasting a potential customers time online, on the phone, or at the dealer.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Greenway ford in Orlando has Lariats at about $7000 off of MSRP. Elder in Tampa has them at about $5500 off
That is the dealer I placed my order at on 10/28. Good price overall. Besides you guys, though, I’ve heard nothing on the status of my build. It’s not entirely their fault, but I’m beginning to get a little frustrated...

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I’m in the central/south Florida area, and I can tell you that it’s going to be difficult.

I reached out to no less than ten dealers and I had a hell of a time trying to even keep them in contact with me (phone, text, email). I figured I’d be inundated with more salesmen than I could handle once I have them my contact info, but that was not the case.

I ended up striking a deal and placing an order with Greenway Ford in Orlando like some others mentioned. They did X-plan for me and that put me right around the $7K off MSRP that others say they’re offering now.

However, I ordered late October and don’t have anything yet.

Let me know which dealers you are considering and I will try to give you my experience and impression of them if you want.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I’m in the central/south Florida area, and I can tell you that it’s going to be difficult.

I reached out to no less than ten dealers and I had a hell of a time trying to even keep them in contact with me (phone, text, email). I figured I’d be inundated with more salesmen than I could handle once I have them my contact info, but that was not the case.

I ended up striking a deal and placing an order with Greenway Ford in Orlando like some others mentioned. They did X-plan for me and that put me right around the $7K off MSRP that others say they’re offering now.

However, I ordered late October and don’t have anything yet.

Let me know which dealers you are considering and I will try to give you my experience and impression of them if you want.
If you don't have anything by now Kyle, my money is they either have you on the lowest priority or just haven't gotten enough allocations to cover their orders yet.

I would have found another dealer after 4 weeks of that crap. You might do better looking for arrived trucks as far North as Al and Georgia.
Sponsored