Negotiating on a "Build It" Price

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
If you don't have anything by now Kyle, my money is they either have you on the lowest priority or just haven't gotten enough allocations to cover their orders yet.

I would have found another dealer after 4 weeks of that crap. You might do better looking for arrived trucks as far North as Al and Georgia.

Wow, hearing it from the seasoned pro makes me a little more aggravated. My build does have a lot of the low/no availability options according to your updates. Do you think it is attributed to that, or am I getting jerked around?
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Wow, hearing it from the seasoned pro makes me a little more aggravated. My build does have a lot of the low/no availability options according to your updates. Do you think it is attributed to that, or am I getting jerked around?
Could be both but I think more jerked around.

You might have drove a better price for yourself than others that agreed to a higher price. Some dealers would use their allocation for the higher profit order first, pushing back the lower one. I don't know this is the case but I do know you should have a VIN and a scheduled date by now.

Many after you have gotten VINs and their orders scheduled for Ford and their orders had similar options.

With Ford having been out for the holidays the parts issue should have caught up by now.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could be both but I think more jerked around.

You might have drove a better price for yourself than others that agreed to a higher price. Some dealers would use their allocation for the higher profit order first, pushing back the lower one. I don't know this is the case but I do know you should have a VIN and a scheduled date by now.

Many after you have gotten VINs and their orders scheduled for Ford and their orders had similar options.

With Ford having been out for the holidays the parts issue should have caught up by now.

That’s what I’ve been realizing too. My last word from the dealer was that they are “waiting on them (Ford) to assign the vehicle a VIN number”.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That’s what I’ve been realizing too. My last word from the dealer was that they are “waiting on them (Ford) to assign the vehicle a VIN number”.
I might be looking hard at inventory of other dealers, even out of FL. Are you trading a vehicle??

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nope. No trade.
Makes it real easy for you to purchase one over the phone and I have done that many times. If you can find a truck you want you can start negotiating. It would at least give you possible other options.

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
I’m in the central/south Florida area, and I can tell you that it’s going to be difficult.

I reached out to no less than ten dealers and I had a hell of a time trying to even keep them in contact with me (phone, text, email). I figured I’d be inundated with more salesmen than I could handle once I have them my contact info, but that was not the case.

I ended up striking a deal and placing an order with Greenway Ford in Orlando like some others mentioned. They did X-plan for me and that put me right around the $7K off MSRP that others say they’re offering now.

However, I ordered late October and don’t have anything yet.

Let me know which dealers you are considering and I will try to give you my experience and impression of them if you want.

I sent out about 5 contact requests last night and Greenway was emailing me by 9 am. They came back just slightly under invoice. Your experience makes me wonder if I did end up going with them that they would do the same thing to me. I do have a trade-in so it may complicate my situation for looking out of state.

Are the fees they quoted me (Pre-Delivery Service charge $799.95, Administrative fee $199.50 and State Tag & Registration Fee $400) typical? I would be transferring my tag from my Suburban.

I contacted Gator, Elder, Jarrett-Gordon, and Greenway. I was going to try Walker, Mullimax and Bartow.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I sent out about 5 contact requests last night and Greenway was emailing me by 9 am. They came back just slightly under invoice. Your experience makes me wonder if I did end up going with them that they would do the same thing to me. I do have a trade-in so it may complicate my situation for looking out of state.

Are the fees they quoted me (Pre-Delivery Service charge $799.95, Administrative fee $199.50 and State Tag & Registration Fee $400) typical? I would be transferring my tag from my Suburban.

I contacted Gator, Elder, Jarrett-Gordon, and Greenway. I was going to try Walker, Mullimax and Bartow.
Wow, those are some very high fees! I'm not in Fl but my goodness. I had Doc fee $399, registration fee $16.50 and tax on trading difference.

Used vehicles are still at a very high value due to the virus, not as high as they were earlier but still higher.

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Pre-Delivery Service Fee——WTF is that.
It is their responsibility to do this anyway and the factory pays the dealer for doing this.
At $799, that dealer would end up driving that vehicle right up where the sun don’t shine.

Tax, title, license should all that is required—-not even sure it is worth the extra 175 + to go get tags.
For that, they can give me the paperwork and I’ll do it myself

TxTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Kind of in the same situation, got a great deal but no word at all about assigning a vin. Any thoughts as to whether or not saying I’m looking at lots would get a higher priority? Not sure if A) that’s possible or B) it might hurt my position on my current order/dealer

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Around here, $799 for a dealer fee is right in the middle. I’ve see $400 to upwards of $1100 for dealer fees. They quoted me the $799 too. A dealer or two around here (forget exactly which ones) do offer “no dealer fees”, but their price quotes to me were sometimes more than other dealers.

I asked for X-plan at Greenway which they agreed to, and the only dealers fees I’ve seen them charge is the $100 which is the maximum per the fine print of the Ford A/Z/X Plan rules. That $100 is listed on my invoice as “Pre-Delivery Service Charge”.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Around here, $799 for a dealer fee is right in the middle. I’ve see $400 to upwards of $1100 for dealer fees. They quoted me the $799 too. A dealer or two around here (forget exactly which ones) do offer “no dealer fees”, but their price quotes to me were sometimes more than other dealers.

I asked for X-plan at Greenway which they agreed to, and the only dealers fees I’ve seen them charge is the $100 which is the maximum per the fine print of the Ford A/Z/X Plan rules. That $100 is listed on my invoice as “Pre-Delivery Service Charge”.
For a little more clarification of fee limitations dealers are allowed to charge from the X-Plan site, I'm seeing only a Documentation Fee and like Kyle mentioned it is limited to $100.

As for my previous experience, 2 times I have used X-Plan and somehow forgot about the Doc Fee limit and was charged $350 each time from same dealer. I'm bad at follow ups BUT Ford has always caught this and automatically refunded me the difference via printed check that I usually got within about 90 days but DON'T be like me! Look for a discrepancy and point it out to the dealer. Some will try to get away with whatever they can. First time I thought it was a mistake 2nd time figured they were trying to make some extra money. Thankfully Ford has caught it and taken care of it.

Document Fees

• Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws or regulations.
  • Unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation: In states where dealers are not permitted to charge as much as $100 for doc fees, dealers would be capped at the lesser amount as provided by the state. In states that permitted more than $100, dealers would be permitted to charge the Plan customer $100. In states that permitted more than $100 and also required that all customers be charged the same amount, dealers may charge the Plan customer $100 and indicate any additional fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.
  • Doc Fee Charges should be detailed on the AXZD Plan Pricing Agreement located in number 4.

Last edited:

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For those who are considering Greenway Ford and/or are keeping track of my story.

I called up to the the dealer just now, and got some good news! My salesperson said my order was assigned a VIN and is scheduled like many of you all to be built during the first week of February (2/1).

Since I’m part of the cool kids club now, I have a question or two. My VIN populates on the tracker, but it shows “In Processing” and not “Scheduled for Production” like my dealer advised. For those who are ahead of me in the process, is that normal?

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
For those who are considering Greenway Ford and/or are keeping track of my story.

I called up to the the dealer just now, and got some good news! My salesperson said my order was assign a VIN and is scheduled like many of you all to be built during the first week of February (2/1).

Since I’m part of the cool kids club now, I have a question or two. My VIN populates on the tracker, but it shows “In Processing” and not “Scheduled for Production” like my dealer advised. For those who are ahead of me in the process, is that normal?
Whoop whoop Kyle!! Happy for ya dude!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Which tracker? The official Ford one, or the one where the forum member used the API and created a cool tracker for us? (the fordtracker dot tech one)
Sponsored