Negotiating on a "Build It" Price

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost (ETA Mar-2021)
Thanks for the tips kNickell. Very Helpful.

I became a member of MCA today for 1 year for 25$. I was then able to obtain a PIN for the X-plan following instructions here:

https://mustang.org/member-services/x-plan/
How would the X-plan pricing typically compare to invoice price (or invoice -$1,000 as in the case of Granger Ford's offer)?

(For reference, considering purchase of a 2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum 4X4.)
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
We are considering using the "Build & Price" website to put together our F150 since we are looking at some specific options and not wanting others. For those of you that have done this, did you still negotiate on the final price when ordering; if so what approach did you use to get below the MSRP? We've bought lots of vehicles but haven't ever specifically ordered one so this is a little new territory. Thanks in advance.
Don’t expect to get some amazing deal on the new F150 especially if you’re special ordering one.

There’s really no need for dealers to deal because the new F150 is in high demand.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
How would the X-plan pricing typically compare to invoice price (or invoice -$1,000 as in the case of Granger Ford's offer)?

X-plan is essentially invoice. Invoice - 0.4% + $275 program fee. Max $100 on dealer fees.

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X-plan is essentially invoice. Invoice - 0.4% + $275 program fee. Max $100 on dealer fees.
Here's what I have....I'm in Central FL and willing to travel. Two dealers locally offering pricing at invoice. I'm trying to decide whether I should pursue X-plan or just sign a deal today at invoice and hope for better rebates to come in Jan/Feb while I wait it out. X Plan would at least lower my dealer fee from 799 to 100.
Ford F-150 Negotiating on a "Build It" Price F150 4X4 Plat.JPG

Ford F-150 Negotiating on a "Build It" Price F150 4X4 Plat 2.JPG

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current Offer (pre tax, tag, license):
65,541 (Invoice)
799 (Doc Fee)

X-Plan Potential
65,278 (Invoice - 0.4%)
275 (Program Fee)
100 (Doc Fee)
65,653 ($686 better than current offer)

I've got a $1,000 deposit in hand and going to try to head out to a few dealers today to see if we can get a signature at 65,653+TTL or thereabouts. Should be doable, no?

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Here's what I have....I'm in Central FL and willing to travel. Two dealers locally offering pricing at invoice. I'm trying to decide whether I should pursue X-plan or just sign a deal today at invoice and hope for better rebates to come in Jan/Feb while I wait it out. X Plan would at least lower my dealer fee from 799 to 100.
F150 4X4 Plat.JPG

F150 4X4 Plat 2.JPG
It really just depends on how far you are willing to travel to get a deal. You should fan out and hit all the dealers within whatever drive radius you are willing to travel to. Invoice or X-Plan are fine prices, nothing wrong with them at all. You can do better, but what is your time and convenience worth to you?

You should easily be able to negotiate $500 under invoice, and many of us have gotten $1000 under invoice. If you are willing to fly to Iowa to pick up your truck, Albert from Granger Ford has the best pricing, and he has been an enormous help and sponsor to this board. I cannot even tell you how much off invoice Albert's deal is, but it is a very big discount, better than $1000 under invoice.

Just like anything else, you have to be willing to work to get a better deal. I'm from Texas and I searched nationally probably 50+ dealers looking for what I wanted and settled on a dealer in Tennessee. My family will make a vacation out of getting our new truck. I'm sure we'll spend all the savings I got, but so what, we would have taken a vacation and spent that money anyway, and i got the deal I felt good about.

It's all about what you feel good about in the end.

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
Sometimes there are extra rebates or discounts that X-plan gets that you don't know about until they run it through the computer at the end(currently there is at least a $300). X-plan gets all public incentives also.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
F150 4X4 Plat.JPG

F150 4X4 Plat 2.JPG
I'm near you. I shopped and shopped and couldn't find a better deal or a nicer guy than Albert with Granger. He earned my business. It's a cheap flight from Tampa to Des Moines, and an "ok" return drive. But you'll save a couple thousand in price and lower dealer fee. You should definitely contact him.

My truck gets built next week. Still hoping (unrealistically) that I take delivery this calendar year.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
F150 4X4 Plat.JPG

F150 4X4 Plat 2.JPG
I’m also in your area. I have to agree, I have not been impressed with the Central Florida dealers. I finally found one that did X-plan for me, plus gave me a couple thousand dollars in rebates that were “locked in” at the time I ordered. I’m comfortable with the price.

What dealer wrote that invoice up for you if you don’t mind me asking?

(You can also PM me if you don’t want to put that info out on the inter-web)

Dog_Tired and I have been working together and kept a pretty close eye on the Florida market while we were shopping for our trucks, and came to about the same conclusion.

Looking at your out the door price with all the taxes and other BS fees, that seems to be about the going rate for nearly all of Florida. OTD price just under full MSRP...

Last edited:

OCDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150, focus, corolla
Occupation
Software Engineer
@Roger350 Where did you see that Albert from Granger Ford was doing better than $1000 under invoice? I agree that he has been a huge help while truck shopping and lurking on this forum, but every post I've seen from him on the subject says they're only offering $1000 below invoice.

I was able to get that pricing locally, however, if there's a significant discount elsewhere I don't mind flying in and driving home.

Sponsored

RDH

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m also in your area. I have to agree, I have not been impressed with the Central Florida dealers. I finally found one that did X-plan for me, plus gave me a couple thousand dollars in rebates that were “locked in” at the time I ordered. I’m comfortable with the price.

What dealer wrote that invoice up for you if you don’t mind me asking?

(You can also PM me if you don’t want to put that info out on the inter-web)

Dog_Tired and I have been working together and kept a pretty close eye on the Florida market while we were shopping for our trucks, and came to about the same conclusion.

Looking at your out the door price with all the taxes and other BS fees, that seems to be about the going rate for nearly all of Florida. OTD price just under full MSRP...
We ordered a 2021 Powerboost 4X4 Platinum today from Walker Ford at $1,000 under invoice. Shawna and Tracy at Walker Ford were nice to work with and significantly more knowledgeable and easier to work with than Ferman Ford. Both dealers had offered to sell at invoice based on prior visits. What really pushed my wife and I away from Ferman was a sense of flippancy about whether or not they wanted to sell a retail order Platinum truck...on two separate occasions. Maybe the guys we spoke to were just having bad day(s). For example, we asked to see the 8 1/2" x 11" 2021 color choice book at Ferman, and the two associates that looked into the matter for me said they didn't have one. I also asked them to run the Platinum invoice numbers on a configured build and their response was "they didn't have anyone in on a Saturday that would be able to do that".

I wrote down the numbers I was comfortable with (listed above) prior going into the dealer, and if we could get close to X Plan pricing I was going to be happy. I asked to talk directly with a sales manager, brought my paperwork, asked for $1,000 less than invoice, reviewed their fees, and was ready to fan out my search if we couldn't make a deal. Tracy met with us and was able to offer us $1,000 under invoice. Their doc fee is $799 (ugh), but it seems you're going to get fee'd somewhere or another, even with the x-plan ($100 + 275 at a minimum).

All in all, we're ok with the price and excited to jump in line with everyone else!

PS - We struggled with which tow package option to specify or not specify. Ultimately chose not to add any additional tow packages to the Platinum trim level, which I hope is the right choice for us. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm getting for a tow package....we seemed to have more info than the dealer at this time...I hope they get some better documentation going forward. All I need tow wise is something to be able to pull my 4,000# boat/trailer in and out of the water about 1x/month and tow it to the Keys 1x/year. I think the Tow Technology Package standard with the Platinum trim will be adequate.

Ford F-150 Negotiating on a "Build It" Price F150 4X4 Plat Dec 12 1 of 2

Ford F-150 Negotiating on a "Build It" Price F150 4X4 Plat Dec 12 2 of 2

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
@Roger350 Where did you see that Albert from Granger Ford was doing better than $1000 under invoice? I agree that he has been a huge help while truck shopping and lurking on this forum, but every post I've seen from him on the subject says they're only offering $1000 below invoice.

I was able to get that pricing locally, however, if there's a significant discount elsewhere I don't mind flying in and driving home.
Here's the link to the thread:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2021-f-150-price-discount-offer-from-granger-ford.353/

I never did the math, so I should say I believe this is better than $1000 under invoice, since this offer came after their initial offers to do $1000 under invoice. Honestly I didn't do the math because I didn't want to know how much more money I could have saved, since I already had an order elsewhere at this point that I am happy with.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Current Offer (pre tax, tag, license):
65,541 (Invoice)
799 (Doc Fee)

X-Plan Potential
65,278 (Invoice - 0.4%)
275 (Program Fee)
100 (Doc Fee)
65,653 ($686 better than current offer)

I've got a $1,000 deposit in hand and going to try to head out to a few dealers today to see if we can get a signature at 65,653+TTL or thereabouts. Should be doable, no?
Have you checked Mullinax Ford?

Gonzo67

First Name
Ismario G Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F-150 Lariat, 2020 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 MB C-250
Occupation
Electrical engineer

I got this pricing breakdown yesterday on a V8 model, note the options and various Ford plans pricing options on the bottom. This price is from a Dealer in Greenville, SC.

Bottom line there is a 3k$ price difference between the A/Z Plan and the X-Plan.

Dealers in SC are willing to place orders for 500$ down, no guarantee on delivery and leaving final price to further discount based on rebates available upon delivery.

I hope this helps.

Ford F-150 Negotiating on a "Build It" Price D2A07068-4D76-4632-8006-E313D0EF48CA

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
Some Florida Ford Dealers are already offering over $7000 off of MSRP on Limited's, over $7200 on KR's and over $7500 on Lariats
Sponsored