First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 1969 Mustang 428CJ
Occupation
Fed
I've had my 2022 Powerboost for about a week now and am debating whether to get a tonneau cover. Is there a need to protect the system from the elements (rain/snow) or vandals (stealing components or plugging in to use power)? Wondering whether folks are having any issues without a tonneau. Thanks!
Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I had a ground fault notification on mine after the dealer washed it.. it went away in a few days, and few days after that my tonneau arrived. No errors since.

I am pretty sure the dealer blasted it with a pressure washer and caused water intrusion into the outlets. As long as you don't do that its probably fine.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I've had my 2022 Powerboost for about a week now and am debating whether to get a tonneau cover. Is there a need to protect the system from the elements (rain/snow) or vandals (stealing components or plugging in to use power)? Wondering whether folks are having any issues without a tonneau. Thanks!
There is no power to steal, unless you left the truck on and in generator mode (i.e. you were using it yourself). In that case, an opportunistic thief would probably take whatever you had plugged in....

But, I am a tonneau cover advocate. Had tri-fold before, went with the Remax retractable (same as the rebranded Ford accessory). Love it. More sturdy, more secure, lockable at any position (i.e. leave 1/2" gap for extension cord exit if you want), and doesn't block back window, inside rear view mirror when fully open.

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
I only have the 400W outlet in my bed, but I can tell you the outlet cover has a really nice rubber seal so I'm not sure if the cover is necessary to protect against the elements. Regarding the vandals, my truck is either at work, in the garage or at a restaurant occasionally and I've had no issues. Vandalism is probably more of an area specific thing at least until someone finds a use for the power supply units in our trucks?.

Another security option may be (may depend on truck model) to turn on "SecuriAlert" in the Ford Pass app (see screen shot attached) to be notified in the event someone does do something to the truck. Warning, the alerts can get annoying due to frequency - mine tells me everytime I unlock the truck, open a door or the tailgate, etc. That said, I only turn it on when I think it may get vandalized or get bumped in a parking lot (not that I'm going to be able to run down someone in a car speeding away while sporting my Sketchers)?

Me personally, I went with the LXP hard folding cover from Truck Gear By LINE-X. I liked the security it offers (more of a deterant over the soft cover IMHO). I also like that if offers the rugged LINE-X spray on finish on the top side and a lifetime warranty on the entire thing. It does lean against the rear window when up, but only a rubber edge touches the glass and if you secure it properly I cannot see how it would have the ability to break the rear window. I attached a few pictures of the cover to this post.

Good luck with your decision.

Ford F-150 Need to protect ProPower System? Screenshot_20220222-133306_Bixby Voice

Ford F-150 Need to protect ProPower System? Screenshot_20220222-133315_FordPass

Ford F-150 Need to protect ProPower System? 20220218_084855

Ford F-150 Need to protect ProPower System? Resized_20220207_200227

Ford F-150 Need to protect ProPower System? Resized_20220207_200142
Sponsored

Last edited: