Sponsored

Need Some Help - Might have a big problem -- Inaccurate mileage on odometer

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Are you sure it's the same truck? Check your license plate and VIN. :p

Mandela effect? o_O Though, 148 engine hours would mean that the truck was going an average of one quarter MPH the entire time. :unsure:

This could be a bigger issue than just your truck's resale value, if this happens with regularity; it could impact the entire run of 14th generation trucks, since some individuals might keep their reset odometers to themselves :censored: :whistle:

I have never heard of this problem with a new vehicle but it has to have happened before. I don't know if there's anything that can be done, just the same way that a warranty replacement of a major component like engine or transmission can hurt resale in a brand new vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I spoke with the dealership. The service representative never heard of anything like this. He said they will have to bring in Ford on it through an engineering team.

He can see through the Ford pass app the mileage. You can see it check in every day and you can see the date it reset to 0 and the new mileage start ticking up thereafter.

He said the mileage to Ford is transmitted or relayed from the PCM. He also indicated that it is stored in a few different places in the car. He suspects the real mileage will be listed on the ECM and that it will have kept track the whole time. Overall, he seems less concerned about it than I am, which hopefully is because this can be easily resolved.

I'll let you all know how it progresses.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Start documenting all of your comms with ford, when it happened, and each time you go to the dealership make sure they list the issue on the service ticket. I don’t know what the lemon laws are in your state but read up on them. This definitely will reduce that value of your truck so if they can’t fix it you may have to go the lemon law route.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Start documenting all of your comms with ford, when it happened, and each time you go to the dealership make sure they list the issue on the service ticket. I don’t know what the lemon laws are in your state but read up on them. This definitely will reduce that value of your truck so if they can’t fix it you may have to go the lemon law route.
I was thinking the same, but I think he said he's had it 5 months. Aren't most of those laws only good for like 90 days? Maybe I'm thinking used, not new purchases.

Good to hear they think it will still be stored somewhere else. I was wondering that as well, and I could see the app being messed up, but you'd think whatever is displayed on the dash would be that "real" number.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I was thinking the same, but I think he said he's had it 5 months. Aren't most of those laws only good for like 90 days? Maybe I'm thinking used, not new purchases.

Good to hear they think it will still be stored somewhere else. I was wondering that as well, and I could see the app being messed up, but you'd think whatever is displayed on the dash would be that "real" number.
My state’s law is 24 months or 18k miles. It’s different in every state. The methods for documenting and starting the process are dramatically different in every state as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
Well I just got it back from the dealership. I believe they thought initially that I couldn't read the dash properly. They had it for 3 days and at the end of the first day they called me and seemed surprised that I was right and that the odometer had in fact reset.

The vehicle stays in constant contact with Ford, so they could see that it did reset and then saw the mileage start accumulating.

The dealership spoke with an engineering team at Ford and ultimately replaced the IPC and had a preprogramed one with the true mileage sent to them by Ford.

The mileage is right and the adaptive cruise works now. Everything seems fine now. I'll pull the carfax in a month and see how they entered it there as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
Well...maybe I spoke too soon. It turns out when the dealership put in the new IPC they did not update the engine hours. So, despite having over 5,000 miles I have 4 engine hours.

Not sure if this is on the dealership or on Ford. The dealership said they were being sent a preprogrammed one with the miles by Ford.

The service writer does not think it's a big deal nor does he think anything can be done as the old IPC was sent to Ford. I think Ford should have the data from this IPC as apparently it's the only one ever that reset mileage on a 2021.

I am of the opinion that it is an issue. I think it looks like the truck was tampered with. I hope they come back with a real solution.

I think I have been pretty laid back about this but I am starting to get a little angry about the situation at this point. If Ford comes back and says nothing can be done and its not a problem at all (which makes no sense, why record engine hours at all then), I'll reach out to an expert in vehicle valuations and just take it from there.

I will say customer service people from Ford have reached out to me, probably from here, but after they assign a case number (of which I have 2) they disappear. The dealership has never contacted these folks and does not care about the case number. I don't even know if these customer service folks that assign these case number have ever even spoken with the dealership or tried to.

Do you folks think generally the engine hour data is important? Maybe I am way off base and it does not matter.

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
glitching the software? May never find out. Personally I wouldn’t care too much about the hours with such a low mileage truck.

JasonATL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I wouldn’t be concerned with hours unless carfax flags it as a concern.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Hours may look off right now, but over time, it'll be a wash. As long as mileage is correct I wouldn't be too concerned right now. If they can fix it, great, but I wouldn't think it's a big issue. If someone does 80 mph all day and no idling, they'll have minimal run hours, versus someone that drives in the city with a lot of traffic with mostly idling and a lot of hours and minimal mileage.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Well...maybe I spoke too soon. It turns out when the dealership put in the new IPC they did not update the engine hours. So, despite having over 5,000 miles I have 4 engine hours.

Not sure if this is on the dealership or on Ford. The dealership said they were being sent a preprogrammed one with the miles by Ford.

The service writer does not think it's a big deal nor does he think anything can be done as the old IPC was sent to Ford. I think Ford should have the data from this IPC as apparently it's the only one ever that reset mileage on a 2021.

I am of the opinion that it is an issue. I think it looks like the truck was tampered with. I hope they come back with a real solution.

I think I have been pretty laid back about this but I am starting to get a little angry about the situation at this point. If Ford comes back and says nothing can be done and its not a problem at all (which makes no sense, why record engine hours at all then), I'll reach out to an expert in vehicle valuations and just take it from there.

I will say customer service people from Ford have reached out to me, probably from here, but after they assign a case number (of which I have 2) they disappear. The dealership has never contacted these folks and does not care about the case number. I don't even know if these customer service folks that assign these case number have ever even spoken with the dealership or tried to.

Do you folks think generally the engine hour data is important? Maybe I am way off base and it does not matter.
I would keep the documentation about the fix, that way if the hour difference were to ever become an issue, you would have a paper trail.

I would think the loss of 50 hours or whatever it was will disappear after a long use where you have 60,000 miles and 1500 hours.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0

Where does it display lifetime engine hours? I see one screen on my truck that does display engine hours and idle hours along with the oil life monitor, but I have noted that counter is related to the oil life, not lifetime engine hours like one would think

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a bit of an odd issue and I think it might end up being a huge problem. I have a 2021 f150 Platinum that I purchased in August.

In November my adaptive cruise control stopped working. It's been in twice and it received an OTA (which they said would fix it) and I still have the problem. I am taking it to the dealership in two weeks for 3 days for a bunch of diagnostics that they are sending to Ford.

Today after I leave my office I notice that my odometer has 20 miles listed as the mileage. It basically reset (probably did it yesterday) and wiped 4800 miles off for odometer.

I went through the gauge displays and options and ensured it was not just displaying the trip data. I reset the trip data, shut it off and restarted it twice and it still has the incorrect mileage. It even pushed the wrong mileage to FordPass.

Inaccurate mileage on an odometer is a huge problem and it kills the resale of the truck. Once I take it into the dealership they will register the odometer and push it to car fax.

Has anyone run into this type of issue? I must admit I am pretty worried. I don't buy trucks for the resale value, but I did just pay 70K for this 5 months ago.

Anyone have any suggestions or direction?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I would like to look into your F-150's odometer issue on my end.
Sponsored