First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I have a bit of an odd issue and I think it might end up being a huge problem. I have a 2021 f150 Platinum that I purchased in August.

In November my adaptive cruise control stopped working. It's been in twice and it received an OTA (which they said would fix it) and I still have the problem. I am taking it to the dealership in two weeks for 3 days for a bunch of diagnostics that they are sending to Ford.

Today after I leave my office I notice that my odometer has 20 miles listed as the mileage. It basically reset (probably did it yesterday) and wiped 4800 miles off for odometer.

I went through the gauge displays and options and ensured it was not just displaying the trip data. I reset the trip data, shut it off and restarted it twice and it still has the incorrect mileage. It even pushed the wrong mileage to FordPass.

Inaccurate mileage on an odometer is a huge problem and it kills the resale of the truck. Once I take it into the dealership they will register the odometer and push it to car fax.

Has anyone run into this type of issue? I must admit I am pretty worried. I don't buy trucks for the resale value, but I did just pay 70K for this 5 months ago.

Anyone have any suggestions or direction?
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
That’s bizarre, I’ve never heard of that happening. That’s probably going to have to be a Ford corporate thing to resolve if that really did happen.

@Ford Motor Company ???

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Had a problem with my navigation not working properly after taking it into the dealer for an oil change. Disconnected the negative, drove the truck, still had a problem. stopped, disconnected the positive went in the convenient store came back out put the positive terminal back on. been working sine. happened several months ago. One thing I realized walking up to the truck. while the positive terminal was disconnected, I was still able to unlock my truck after putting my hand on the door handle. 21 king ranch power boost. 18,000 miles

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
First I’ve heard of this issue. Would definitely need to get @Ford Motor Company involved in this one. Inaccurate odometer readings can really screw things up. But with Fords help they can get it figured out. I’m sure while it’s in getting diagnostics they will fix that. Might be an ECU issue.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Fancy. I learned a new word.
We use it a lot in the technology world. I guess not exactly immutable since it’s constantly being changed (updated) but certainly not meant to be changed by anything other than actual miles incrementing it and never meant to be reset/modified in any other way.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Had a problem with my navigation not working properly after taking it into the dealer for an oil change. Disconnected the negative, drove the truck, still had a problem. stopped, disconnected the positive went in the convenient store came back out put the positive terminal back on. been working sine. happened several months ago. One thing I realized walking up to the truck. while the positive terminal was disconnected, I was still able to unlock my truck after putting my hand on the door handle. 21 king ranch power boost. 18,000 miles
Reason for that is the Powerboost has 2 12V batteries. So you only disconnected 1, power was still being delivered to the truck. People have even started and driven it without the battery in the engine bay connected

Sponsored

OP
OP

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I just disconnected the battery. It's just the ecoboost, not the power boost so I just have the one batter. I am going to reattach the battery in about 15 minutes.

I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I still can’t believe that really reset, that’s wild. That’s one of the most protected things safeguarded from tampering etc and meant to be immutable because it quite literally has legal implications if it is modified.
I have a picture of the dash. I set it so you could see the engine hours. I ran a few errands today so the milage is higher.

Ford F-150 Need Some Help - Might have a big problem -- Inaccurate mileage on odometer 20220109_171110

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Seems even more strange that type of stuff didn’t reset but the odometer did.

OP
OP

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I disconnected the battery and had it off for about 25 minutes. No change. Still the wrong mileage.

I'll let you all know how it goes with the dealership, but it'll be a while. It's not going in until a week from tomorrow.

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
Well it was worth a shot. No big deal to disconnect battery terminals. It helped with my navigation problem. been working fine since. Definitely would like to know the final outcome with your truck.
Sponsored