Need some engine input

Roll.Tide

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Well finally some good news…maybe. The dealer who I ordered my truck from called today they have a KR coming in and would I be interested in buying it as opposed to waiting for my build, which I don’t even have a vin for. I said I’ll take a look, it has everything I wanted with two exceptions, it has the moon roof and the 3.5 V6 eco-boost. That’s about a two grand swing which is going to be hard to make work, but my question is about the engines. My ordered truck has the V8 and had considered anything else because of the money. If I can make it work thoughts regarding the v6 eco boost would be appreciated. I never tow anything, most of my driving is in a small rural town. I do take a couple of long road trips per year, 2,000+ miles.
Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Ok, but first, some back-story - I grew up on Ford V-8's. I've had great experience with them. I'm not a hater, by any means, but now I have a twin-turbo V6 with all the latest tech and I think my V-8 days are over.

Also, I'm married now, and my wife really likes how quiet the truck can be. ;-}

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I had a 18 6.2 250, I was ordering a 21 7.3 250, we wanted to upgrade to the Lariat. We had gone as far as sending the order to a dealer. After doing a little research and talking to a few people that I knew that had 3.5 EBs I started thinking in a different manner. I had never looked at one nor even considered it. I was thinking old school, no replacement for displacement. I was thinking the 3.5 had to be spun up to make power. Wrong, it’s the opposite. The V8 has to be spun up, the 3.5 makes power much lower in the Rs. Then I drive one. I couldn’t wait to get back and pick it up. On another note, I did pass up a great deal on a leftover 20 because I didn’t want the moonroof that it had. I knew that I just would t use it. Also like the poster above, I can’t hear the dang truck and I don’t want to hear it either.

ScottBB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I just looked and the 3.5 is rated to tow 1,000 more pounds than the v8.

Ford F-150 Engines:
  • 3.3-Liter Ti-VCT V-6: 290 hp, 265 lb-ft
  • 2.7-Liter EcoBoost V-6: 325 hp, 400 lb-ft
  • 3.5-Liter EcoBoost V-6: 375 hp, 470 lb-ft
  • High-Output 3.5-Liter EcoBoost V-6: 450 hp, 510 lb-ft
  • 3.0-Liter Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V-6: 250 hp, 440 lb-ft
  • 5.0-Liter Ti-VCT V-8: 395 hp, 400 lb-ft

Sponsored

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
The best engine, by far.........Great throttle response........Owner of 2015 Explorer sport and 2021 F150 lariat supercab......all with 3.5l twin turbo ecoboost

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a 18 6.2 250, I was ordering a 21 7.3 250, we wanted to upgrade to the Lariat. We had gone as far as sending the order to a dealer. After doing a little research and talking to a few people that I knew that had 3.5 EBs I started thinking in a different manner. I had never looked at one nor even considered it. I was thinking old school, no replacement for displacement. I was thinking the 3.5 had to be spun up to make power. Wrong, it’s the opposite. The V8 has to be spun up, the 3.5 makes power much lower in the Rs. Then I drive one. I couldn’t wait to get back and pick it up. On another note, I did pass up a great deal on a leftover 20 because I didn’t want the moonroof that it had. I knew that I just would t use it. Also like the poster above, I can’t hear the dang truck and I don’t want to hear it either.
One of the guys that I know that I talked to just turned over 300k miles on his 2014 and has t done anything outside of regular maintenance and wear and tear parts, turbos are still as it was built.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One of the guys that I know that I talked to just turned over 300k miles on his 2014 and has t done anything outside of regular maintenance and wear and tear parts, turbos are still as it was built.
Sorry, me again. That 300k truck doesn’t have a catch can and it’s fine.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think both the Ecoboost and Coyote are fine. If you said you wanted a PowerBoost for the generator, then there would be no substitute. But between the two you are considering, you would probably be happy with either, though IMO the Ecoboost is a better performing, slightly more efficient, and more modern engine.

OP
OP
Roll.Tide

Roll.Tide

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Thanks all, really appreciate the input, now I just need to find another 2 grander should I say finance another 2 grand.

Sponsored

Duckgumbeaux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
You will not regret the 3.5. I had three of them and went with my 2019 F150 with the 5.0. Hated it so my 2021 Plat is the 3.5. Wish now i had done the power boost after driving one

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
I love my 5.0. You'll probably be happy with either. Your choice.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I would just inspect the headliner around the sunroof very closely and look for any signs of leakage. I wouldn't think twice about the 3.5 EB over the 5.0 or vice versa.

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Coyote V8 sounds cooler. It's perfectly ok if you buy it for this reason, I love the sound of V8's as well and almost got a Coyote for this reason.

3.5 EcoBoost pulls more and it's noticeably quicker. They are reliable, plenty of people out there with 250k+ miles on them, just use quality oil and filter and change on time.

The whole turbos are unreliable/more moving parts shtick is a 20th century idea that needs to die. A lot of engineering (mainly American engineers by the way) has gone into making turbo charged platforms a lot more reliable and powerful.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
They are reliable, plenty of people out there with 250k+ miles on them, just use quality oil and filter and change on time.

The whole turbos are unreliable/more moving parts shtick is a 20th century idea that needs to die. A lot of engineering (mainly American engineers by the way) has gone into making turbo charged platforms a lot more reliable and powerful.
Very true. I had a few European turbos (BMW and Porsche) and they don't tend to make it make it to 100k miles. I thought it was a turbo thing, but it turns out it's a BMW/Porsche thing. Turbos on the Ecoboost should be rock solid for a long time, a few outliers notwithstanding.
Sponsored