Need help using ProPower to power house asap

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Ok it’s 9 degrees outside and i have no power... Down to 40 in the house. I have ran a 4 wire connection to a 60 amp breaker in the panel. I keep getting ground fault error.

Not sure I follow what to do with the neutral and ground. Do I need to tie them together? Put neutral on neutral bar and ground on ground bar? Not connect ground?

House is newer construction. I have main breaker off.
Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Ok it’s 9 degrees outside and i have no power... Down to 40 in the house. I have ran a 4 wire connection to a 60 amp breaker in the panel. I keep getting ground fault error.

Not sure I follow what to do with the neutral and ground. Do I need to tie them together? Put neutral on neutral bar and ground on ground bar? Not connect ground?

House is newer construction. I have main breaker off.
No offense, but based on how that question is being asked, I strongly recommend you call an electrician. Use an extension cord to an auxiliary heater in the meantime.

OP
OP

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
What part of that question makes you think that? It doesn’t matter what size breaker I use in the panel. The circuit is protected by the truck’s 30 amp. So that’s not it.

I am well aware that typically the ground is on the ground bar and the neutral on the ground bar. So that’s not it. So please what part of that question says I need to call an electrician?

Not that it matters but I carry a Electritan’s Master residential license and journeyman’s license...

OP
OP

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
So after testing if ground is not hooked up at all I get NO ground fault.

OP
OP

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Ok the generator is simply amazing.

I am running multiple rooms in my house. My AV Rack, Stove, 2 burners on cook-top, water heater all without tripping out truck. Unfortunately I could not start my HVAC without overloading it. Looks like heat strips are pulling 10KW. I can disconnect one set and just run off one of the two 5KW strips.

Ford F-150 Need help using ProPower to power house asap 63510661029__311BCDCB-78D4-4F7A-9439-782B212F98DD.fullsizerender

Ford F-150 Need help using ProPower to power house asap IMG_4778.PNG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it working. I had questions about that also.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang

I am running all multiple rooms. My AV Rack, Stove, 2 burners on cooktop, water heater all without tripping out truck. Unfortanitly I could not start my HVAC without overloading it. I will need to add a soft start to the Heater.
OK, see my post over on this thread F150 = Bonded Neutral

How did you get around the issue w/F150 ProPower and House both having bonded neutral? Seemed like that was your initial problem? Would be really helpful to know the right work-around!

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
63510661029__311BCDCB-78D4-4F7A-9439-782B212F98DD.fullsizerender.jpg

I am running all multiple rooms. My AV Rack, Stove, 2 burners on cooktop, water heater all without tripping out truck. Unfortanitly I could not start my HVAC without overloading it. I will need to add a soft start to the Heater.

IMG_4778.PNG
I wish I would have gotten your set up.....man I'm so glad you got it going. Congrats

OP
OP

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
OK, see my post over on this thread F150 = Bonded Neutral

How did you get around the issue w/F150 Pro Power and House both having bonded neutral? Seemed like that was your initial problem? Would be really helpful to know the right work-around!
All I did was hook up my hots and the neutral to my neutral buss bar and I no longer got the ground fault protection error. I did not hook up the ground wire from the truck to anything.

I suspect it is working because I am using a sub panel off the main house that the neutral and ground are not bonded per code. So i don't have a bonded neutral where I am hooking truck into. If i was going to tie into the house I would need a GFCI transfer switch i believe.

Something like this should work well with our generators.

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?XRC0603A

This is probably the best solution. It allows for you to use your panels existing breakers to select what loads you want on.

https://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/transfer-switches/manual-transfer-switches/whole-house

This is a very useful thread on everything GFCI and generators.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/manual-transfer-switch-tripping-generator-breaker.141365/page-2

Last edited:

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
All I did was hook up my hots and the neutral to my neutral buss bar and I no longer got the ground fault protection error. I did not hook up the ground wire from the truck to anything.

I suspect it is working because I am using a sub panel off the main house that the neutral and ground are not bonded per code. So i don't have a bonded neutral where I am hooking truck into. If i was going to tie into the house I would need a GFCI transfer switch i believe.

Yes, I'd come across the same Reliance X series - I was really looking for something that allowed the F150 to power my whole house and not a sub-panel. Interlock switch on my main panel is an idea but I'm not sure if that isolates the live + neutral or just the live wire ...

Sponsored

OP
OP

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Interlock won't work. The Generac is probably the best bet.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Interlock won't work. The Generac is probably the best bet.
I wish Ford had something they put out with how to best do something like this for emergency hose power.

There are a lot of states having issues now as I assume you are. Good thing you had just gotten a PowerBoost with the 7.2Kw Propower I guess.

Hope you are still doing well and good luck to you.

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man

I am running multiple rooms in my house. My AV Rack, Stove, 2 burners on cook-top, water heater all without tripping out truck. Unfortunately I could not start my HVAC without overloading it. Looks like heat strips are pulling 10KW. I can disconnect one set and just run off one of the two 5KW strips.

63510661029__311BCDCB-78D4-4F7A-9439-782B212F98DD.fullsizerender.jpg

IMG_4778.PNG
I can’t find this in my app. Where is this?

Frankaraho

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
56 f-100

This is probably the best solution. It allows for you to use your panels existing breakers to select what loads you want on.

https://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/transfer-switches/manual-transfer-switches/whole-house

This is a very useful thread on everything GFCI and generators.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/manual-transfer-switch-tripping-generator-breaker.141365/page-2
I’m having the same ground fault error - so to be clear - you disconnected the ground wire from the breaker ? Or the extension cord ??

OP
OP

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I did not use the ground wire on my power cable from the truck. But just to be clear it only worked for me because I was tying into a SUB panel that did NOT have a bonded neutral. if I had tried to connect to my main panel in my house it would NOT have worked without a gfcI transfer switch like I linked above.
Sponsored