Sponsored

Need a catch can?

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Lets talk oil separator Kits for a min. here. Is there proof that the new motors need them ? the three mechanics that I talk to said I don't need one with the new version of this 3.5 I talked to my Family member who is a Porsche tech. and works with turbo systems all day long. He told me the way I drive it wont be a issue. I Tow a lot and drive aggressively when I can safely do so. Theory here is that i work the motor and buildup doesn't happen... I also change my oil frequently and use Full Syn. Open to others opinions here. Just don't want to waste my money on one if its not necessary
Sponsored

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
You really do not need it. The issue was with Direct Injected engines. The newer generation of engines used in the F150 have Port injection in addition to Direct injection. This alleviates most of the issue. New oil formulations also help. Since you are in a colder climate, the catch can filters could freeze in the winter and block the venting, causing seals to fail. I would no recommend one.
On the 2.3 L turbo, that is another issue and a reason I did not consider a Ranger.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
You really do not need it. The issue was with Direct Injected engines. The newer generation of engines used in the F150 have Port injection in addition to Direct injection. This alleviates most of the issue. New oil formulations also help. Since you are in a colder climate, the catch can filters could freeze in the winter and block the venting, causing seals to fail. I would no recommend one.
On the 2.3 L turbo, that is another issue and a reason I did not consider a Ranger.
I completely agree!

Also, there was a thread a few months ago on this topic (no worries), so you may want to search on Catch Cans. Most of the news and videos pointing to the issue relate to the older EcoBoost engines which, as MDMEINTS correctly pointed out. Newer EcoBoosts add port injection to clean the valves.

And, as Bob Curry noted in the recent past, as long as you use Top Tier Fuel (clean, detergent), you should never need a catch can.
Link: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...-ecoboost-or-powerboost-engine.642/#post-7496

This Forum has been a great wealth of knowledge and people are very helpful. Kudos to the Administrator and the culture created by the participants. Enjoy!

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Love it....I almost bought one. Glad I found this.

Thank you guys for the info

Sponsored

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
I guess I'll be the lone disagreement here. I think there is still good reason to install a catch can on this engine, particularly if you plan to own and drive the truck for 100s of thousands of miles. As I see it, catch cans aren't that costly and certainly can't hurt anything as long as you keep up with emptying it. It's good insurance as far as I'm concerned. To each their own, but I will definitely be installing one on my 2.7 ecoboost when I get it.

Last edited:

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
I guess I'll be the loan disagreement here. I think there is still good reason to install a catch can on this engine, particularly if you plan to own and drive the truck for 100s of thousands of miles. As I see it, catch cans aren't that costly and certainly can't hurt anything as long as you keep up with emptying it. It's good insurance as far as I'm concerned. To each their own, but I will definitely be installing one on my 3.5 when I get it.
I was thinking the same... spending $60 on a truck why not lash out another 2-300 bucks for some insurance giants long term turbo damage? (FYI i also ordered the 2.7l)
Anyone here know FOR SURE the implications on warranty?

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
Reviving an old thread to give some personal numbers.
2021 3.5L EcoBoost. Installed passenger side catch can at the very beginning.
Just had second oil change, first one at 4,700 miles and second at 10,200 miles.
Mostly city driving. Just before taking it in to the dealer each time I dumped the catch can into a CVS pill bottle and labeled it. Each time almost filled a Berry 20 dram bottle so about 70ml since it's not all the way to the top. This volume accounts for 1.23% of the crankcase oil of 6 quarts.
Engine totals: 338 hours, 83 idle hours.
Making no claims if this is good or bad, just providing data.

Ford F-150 Need a catch can? oil1

bizu1108

First Name
BigTurtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have seen number of posts discussing whether the oil catch can voids your warranty. Anybody have experience dealing with dealers unwilling to honor your warranty because of this? or do you all take it off and take it to dealer in stock form?

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
I have seen number of posts discussing whether the oil catch can voids your warranty. Anybody have experience dealing with dealers unwilling to honor your warranty because of this? or do you all take it off and take it to dealer in stock form?
In the United States we have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act from 1975 [1] [2] which attempts to prevent manufacturers from unfairly voiding a warranty and in theory puts the "You broke this with your aftermarket part" burden of proof on the manufacturer.
Same deal with the "Warranty Void if Open" stickers which the FTC straight up called illegal [3] [4].
That's not to say some dealership won't try and/or get away with it if the customer did not know any better. You would think something would have to go very wrong before it got to that point though, say oil starvation.. then a lot of finger pointing...
Or it could be a really terrible aftermarket part or modification that was added by the customer and truly did break something, the manufacturer would be within their right to void the warranty.
The addition of the port injector as mdmeints stated will for sure help clean up intake deposits, gasoline is a fantastic solvent.
Strictly on the point of "Will an oil catch can void your warranty?" the answer is a hard no. Unless like.. they're having you drill and tap something somewhere lol. Every one I've seen though is just adding it inline on the PCV.
Sponsored