First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Air Force
Anyone know what the factory tint levels are set at?
Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I’ve always used 20% to match my F150’s. Matches good with the factory back. I also have every windshield in my household tinted with 50%. It’s a game changer. I hate riding in a car without windshield tint. FYI, 50% is almost clear, I know some that use 70, or absolute clear, but I have zero issues with visibility with the 50.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
What makes “nano ceramic” tint different than any other?
I’m sure there are different quality tints, but “nano ceramic” sounds like a b.s. marketing gimmick to me.
I’ve been wrong before though......someone explain please

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Has anyone ever had or plan to tint your truck with the nano ceramic window tint. It looks amazing at blocking heat. However, it is pricey At around $800. Also, has anyone had clear tint put on the windshield to block heat/uv. Here is a video that explains it. Also other videos on YouTube.
Either you guys are getting ripped with some sneaky marketing or the tint guys in my area are not using what they say they are.
I called the last place I went to, which is a higher-end and well-known place, and they said all five windows(rear and four sides) would be $199 for the regular(w/5yr warranty) and $299 for the ceramic(lifetime warranty).
I called a second place because the first one didn’t do wraps and I want a clear one for the hood and they said they have the ceramic(lifetime warranty) for $200. And the clear hood wrap was $200. They Also mentioned they only use 3M products.

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
I've tinted all previous vehicles 5% all the way around and 50% on the windshield.
Will do it to every vehicle from here on out.

UPDATED just got tint last wed . 5% ceramic all the way around and 35% carbon winshield
450 cash. because its illegal

Last edited:

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I had 20% ceramic on the front windows and 70% on the sunroof. The 20% is almost a perfect match to the back windows. I wish I would have gone with 35% on the sunroof. It was under $300 for it all out the door with a good tip.

It was all Suntek brand tint. I've had several other cars done with the Suntek carbon level tint (quality level below ceramic but still lifetime warranty). I regret getting the ceramic for my truck and should have just saved the money. I've found that the ceramic is hazier when the sun shines directly on it. I did some research post purchase and found that there are lots of complaints out there about ceramic window tint doing this.

When I did some additional research I found that the ceramic tint does reject some additional IR and UV but it's really not a significantly higher level than than carbon version from Suntek. Bottom line...for several reasons, it's not worth the extra cost.

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
That's true. But you can apply tint over it and achieve your results.

Sponsored

Blaze

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
15% all the way around and 45% on the windshield.

Cost $385 and is covered for life.

Ford F-150 Nano ceramic window tint 20210604_163918

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
According to the 2021 California Tint Law:
  • Windshield allows transparent strip on top 4 to 5 inches
  • Front side windows must pass through more than 70% of light inside your car (70% VLT)
  • Back side windows and rear windshield can have any darkness
And you have to carry a certificate from the installer clearly indicating the VLT percentage.

I was really considering 70% on the whole front windshield, but now I'm not so sure.

Also, if you are doing the ceramic tint for heat reflection... do you clear tint the rear side and back windows too? (Clear because they are already pretty dark)

Thanks.

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
I went and got mine tinted (5% rear window and 2 back doors, 20% front windows and 20% front windshield strip) and while I was waiting, the tint guy said, to another customer, that you can go in to a dermatologist and get a doctor's note from them saying your skin is sensitive to sunlight and get your front windshield tinted however dark you want.

He said most people don't because of visibility being limited, even during the day. Sisterly if you get pulled over, just produce the Doctors note and there's nothing they can issue a ticket for as far as tint goes. This is in New Mexico though, but I'd imagine there's probably something similar in every state.

Just something to run through some minds in case anyone wants to do it but are worried about being pulled over.